EMP Tek Impression Series E55Ti Tower Speakers First Look

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
LATE2WORK.
Do you have the stabilizers? If so, are they stamped steel like the Soundocity units?
Thanks.:)

L

LATE2WORK

Enthusiast
BudgetHT, the stabilizers came in separate boxes for each speaker and I haven't even opened them yet. I just placed the speakers where I wanted to start testing them. When I return to my other home where the speakers and my camera are, I'll upload the pics that I've already taken, as well as taking some more for posting.

By the way, these speakers are definitely power hungry. Like for example, the Ascend Acoustics are more efficient, so having more power for the EMPs is definitely an advantage because they are 6 ohms. Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier is a very good match for these speakers and a very nice amp.

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
BudgetHT, the stabilizers came in separate boxes for each speaker and I haven't even opened them yet. I just placed the speakers where I wanted to start testing them. When I return to my other home where the speakers and my camera are, I'll upload the pics that I've already taken, as well as taking some more for posting.

By the way, these speakers are definitely power hungry. Like for example, the Ascend Acoustics are more efficient, so having more power for the EMPs is definitely an advantage because they are 6 ohms. Emotiva XPA-2 amplifier is a very good match for these speakers and a very nice amp.
Thanks for the info.
I have an Emotiva UPA-5 powering my HT. Will this drive the 55s? I figured the 55s being rated at 50-200w @ 6 Ohms I figure the UPA-5 should be around 140w+/- @ 6 Ohms(125w @ 8 Ohms/185w @ 4 Ohms).

Last edited:
F

Flyinace2000

Junior Audioholic
My entire system is waiting for my back home. Stupid business training stopping me from playing with lots of new speakers! Gotta pay for it all somehow though!

Saturday I will be setting up and will post plenty of pictures.

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
OK guy's, I'm at a crossroads. I'm now looking at the EMPs, Onix Rocket RS450, or the Axiom M60s.
I need help.:eek:

L

LATE2WORK

Enthusiast
BudgetHT, here’s the thing. If you get the EMPs, their efficiency rating is 88 db. The distance of the speakers from your listening position and the volume you like to listen to the speakers at, will determine how much amplification you need. For example, if you’re sitting about 10 to 13 ft. away from the speakers with a 145 watt amplifier, you’ll have around 94 db.
The lower the efficiency rating, the more power you’re going to need to the drivers before they start to perform less than optimally. I call this float point. Float point is when the integration of any particular drivers perform in a way that is no longer symmetrical in their sound placement.

For example, a pair of Essence speakers from Zu Audio are 97 db at 1 watt. They are extremely efficient speakers, so in turn less amplification is needed before the drivers go to float point.

As far as your speaker choice goes, one of the things I strongly disagree with in the audio industry is the whole concept that someone else’s perception is better than your own. In other words, professional reviewers’ opinions are based upon their own perceptions and preferences, and nothing more. So the best thing to do is to go by your own direct experience, by what you prefer sound-wise, because there really is no better speaker out there, just different preferences. I know the industry pushes the greatest, the best, and so on, but nothing could be further from the truth. Buy what you love, and let the rest go. Most of the industry is full of so much hype, that it’s comical. It’s really all about your personal enjoyment. :)

Based upon my personal experience and preference, I personally would go with the EMPs out of the three choices that you mentioned.

You might want to also look into Aperion Audio because their value, customer service, and speaker design at this price point are exceptional. I love everything that I have from Aperion, and the company is a real joy to deal with! One of my favorites that you might want to check out in a similar price category is Aperion Audio’s Intimus 6T Tower Speaker. Their Bravus 12D Dual Driver Powered Subwoofer is awesome too, and looks like a work of art. I have these speakers along with two of these subs, and love all of them!

Hope you find this helpful, and remember that the process is all about having fun while learning and enjoying the music…Here’s to you finding what you love!

LATE2WORK

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
Thanks for the info LATE2WORK.
The info you posted above is what lead me to the UPA-5 over the XPA-5 to begin with. I have a small living room and the extra $200.00 for 75 more watts(what is that a 2 dB increase?) didn't seem necessary.
All things being equal(and I wish we had a store locally I could addition speakers) the speakers make a bigger difference than amplification.
I want to make my speaker purchase is the right one, as I want them to last me for a long time.
Seems I have a lot to stew over.:D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
All things being equal(and I wish we had a store locally I could addition speakers) the speakers make a bigger difference than amplification.
I want to make my speaker purchase is the right one, as I want them to last me for a long time.
With that attitude, you're well ahead of most!

T

typh00n

Enthusiast
More pictures

Set up my new speaker system yesterday, here's some pics:
http://tinypic.com/useralbum.php?ua=JmLkcoZ5TQYst3iveQ/uDQ==

The black finish looks really nice, have barely had time to listen to them.
I do have a question for those who have used stabilizers before. The outdated manual they shipped with had no instructions, so I put them on to give the speaker the widest base, assuming this give the most stability. Is that correct?
and also I had no idea what the five flat screws were for, there are 5 hole and only 4 spikes, so I was thinking maybe the screws attach to something if you don't have carpet. Any ideas?

And to answer BudgetHT's question, it was the camera flash that whited out the plug.

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
typh00n.
Thanks for the pics!!!:D
I'm in. Those are beautiful.
To answer your question... I'm pretty sure the five flat screws go where you have the rubber spikes in the pic. Three up front and two in the rear and you just use the metal or rubber spikes depending on the type of floor you have.

S

sterryo

Enthusiast
e55ti

picked up the new e55ti's today and i am currently listening to them. in my system they are replacing a pair of eD w6-6tc's stand monitors(developed in conjunction with swan, essentially a d2.1se with front port). the w6's are incredible speakers so the e55ti's have a pretty good challenge.

i went to EMP to demo them, it took less than 2 minutes to make up my mind to buy. last month i went to demo the e5ti's which i liked alot, but since the new speaker were so close to delivery i decided to wait. i am very glad i waited. John Fenn took me upstairs to there demo room (large room 3 rows of couches). the room had no noticeable audio treatments and about 20 different pairs of speakers lying around....

they have the e55ti's connected to their tiny little 40 watt tube amp (shown on website). they were using a cd from Susan Boyle (first track was "wild horses"- stones cover). from the first notes i was impressed. i truly enjoyed the music and her voice sounded very real and natural and the piano seemed right in the room, the decay and timbre sounded more like it was live and not a recording (40 watts of power). i don't like using all the flowery dialog some others tend to write all i can say is that i like what i like. to me i like the sound better than any speaker i've had in my theater. they have not been set-up adjusted, EQ'ed or calibrated yet. all i've done is un-box them move the w6's out of the way and plug them in...
tomorrow i'll spend time setting them up, my recommendation is to those sitting on the fence on this purchase is to go for it. make your purchase before they go up in price (besides you'll have 30 days to decide whether they satisfy your criteria for a keeper).:D

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
Well I kept going back and forth between the EMPs and the Axiom M60s.
I just put in my order for a set of Boston Cherry Axiom M60s.:eek:

S

sterryo

Enthusiast
Actually my wife just came in and said to change it to the high gloss burled walnut.:rolleyes:
What a woman...:D:D:D
wow, what is that going to set you back????????????

i recently purchased the yamaha 1800 for dvd-a/sacd: how do you like it and do you set your speakers large or small( i miss the oppo's ability to pass the high def audio over hdmi) :)

BudgetHT

BudgetHT

Audioholic
wow, what is that going to set you back????????????

i recently purchased the yamaha 1800 for dvd-a/sacd: how do you like it and do you set your speakers large or small( i miss the oppo's ability to pass the high def audio over hdmi) :)
Not bad. $1108.80.
I love the 1800 for SACD. I should have gotten into it years ago when the discs were cheaper:p
I don't run a sub so I set my fronts to large.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis