emp e55tir system II

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
hello all, im in the market for a 5.1 tower system , around $1500 to $1800.
i've found this emp package: emp e55tir tower system II

i was wondering if you could suggest a better one in this price range

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
hello all, im in the market for a 5.1 tower system , around $1500 to $1800.
i've found this emp package: emp e55tir tower system II

i was wondering if you could suggest a better one in this price range
You mean system 3 right?

I think ;;different;; systems could be suggested but i'm not sure about "better" for the price as it's slim pickings. I like the e55tis ;P

I do feel you could do better than the ES10i sub (IE rythmik FV12 or FV15 or HSU ). and i was never impressed by the e5Ci center though.

I would recommend this;

Get the e55ti towers + 4X EMP e5Bi separately rather than as a package - check their b-stock section for nice deals.
Add larger more capable subwoofer.
Evaluate whether you want to add the e56Ci Large center at the end of it all. Apparently going on sale next week though..

I think that approach would be optimal. It will get you the best performance you can afford instead of a package deal.

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
You mean system 3 right?

I think ;;different;; systems could be suggested but i'm not sure about "better" for the price as it's slim pickings. I like the e55tis ;P

I do feel you could do better than the ES10i sub (IE rythmik FV12 or FV15 or HSU ). and i was never impressed by the e5Ci center though.

I would recommend this;

Get the e55ti towers + 4X EMP e5Bi separately rather than as a package - check their b-stock section for nice deals.
Add larger more capable subwoofer.
Evaluate whether you want to add the e56Ci Large center at the end of it all. Apparently going on sale next week though..

I think that approach would be optimal. It will get you the best performance you can afford instead of a package deal.
thank you GranteedEV !

well, after some investigation ... im considering this now

E55Ti Tower Speakers ($795)
E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers ($250)
E56Ci Center Channel Speaker ($450)
Emotiva X-Ref 12 Subwoofer ($599 with coupon code)

i'm going over budget (this will set me back about $2100), but i think it should be worth the effort.

eddie, thank you as well ... i really wanted the e55tis

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
thank you GranteedEV !

well, after some investigation ... im considering this now

i'm going over budget (this will set me back about $2100), but i think it should be worth the effort.

eddie, thank you as well ... i really wanted the e55tis
While the Emo Xref-12 is a nice sub you may want to hold off a few days for my EMP ES1010i sub review which has similar performance to the Emotiva XREF12, but matching cosmetics to the rest of the EMP system should you decide to go that route.

If you don't care about cosmetics matching or having a large box, Rythmik Audio and Outlaw options in the $600 range will get you more usable low F output for the money than the EMP or Emotiva subs. You should also think about the future, meaning you want to have 2 subs in your system to smooth out bass response across the listening area while also achieving a bit more dynamic range in the process.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
The X-Ref 12 I believe is a sealed sub, so it will have its limitations in the deepest bass limited by the raw displacement of the 12" driver as a piston. I don't know what that is, but i'd expect it to be "whatever" not "whoa".

...So I would suggest going for a vented sub with a lower tune. They'll be larger but just a bit more honest to movie LFE. The outlaw LFM-1 EX for example is tuned around 16hz and should provide decent output to match. Same with the Rythmik FV12. They still have their limits, but

If you want do to stick to sealed I would still get a larger higher-end sub, like the Funk Audio 15.0, HSU ULS15, and SVS SB16 (...which might be vaporware...)

And you really do want to consider multiple subs.

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
Gene and GranteedEV, thanks for your input !

i made my first home theater purchase based on input from this forum.

back in 2005, i got a marantz sr5300 + def tech pro cinema 60, and it worked awesomely.

i recently purchased a denon 3312ci and an emotiva xpa-5, so i desperately need a speaker upgrade

rhytmik has a sale on the fv12 ($499 til tomorrow) so i'll jump in.

E

eddie

Junior Audioholic
eddie, thank you as well ... i really wanted the e55tis[/QUOTE]

You're welcome, I actually agree with you on the choice. I would have done the same thing.

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
eddie, great ! thanks.

this is what im officially getting

Emptek E55Ti Tower Speakers ($795)
Emptek E5Bi Bookshelf Speakers ($250)
Emptek E56Ci Center Channel Speaker ($450)
Rythmik FV-12 ($499 on sale 'til 3/3/12)

i will eventually get a second sub

thanks again for the great support system provided by this forum (this is my 2005 thread)

this is not the end of it ...

P.S.: i meant to say i got an sr-5600 not an sr-5300 (not sure if that ever existed)

S

slammin86

Audiophyte
If you can you might hold off on the emptek. They are supposedly having a sale coming up.

This is actually what my end goal is. I bought the E55Ti towers on B stock for half price. I have the center also. Just waiting on the sale to add the bookshelves.

W

Warmonger

Audioholic Intern
EMPTek is having the March Madness sale you might wanna take a looksee.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those are some great discounts. They look like solid speakers too, if I didn't already have so many speakers I would definitely be tempted to try some. I wonder how those E55Ti's compare to Infinity Primus p362? I'd love to compare them.

L

lboregard

Enthusiast
i'm a man. a grown-up man. and as such, i never cry. ever !. period.

but ... after receiving

EMP Tek E55Ti (mains)
EMP Tek E56Ci (center)
EMP Tek E5Bi (surround)
Rythmik FV12 (subwoofer)

and calibrating them ...

and playing ... at reference level ...

the first 20 minutes of ...

"Saving Private Ryan" ...

i have to admit, i shed a tear :D

i'm deeply grateful to GranteedEV and gene, for their input on speaker selection.

Articles such as EMP E55Ti Tower / E56Ci Center / E55WI Surround & ES1010i Subwoofer Review

and

$6,500 Recommended Home Theater System - Great Looks & Performance

are just awesome.

Man, i'm currently basically running a $6.5K Audioholics recommended system !!!! wohooooo!!!

i need to dig deeper into the FV12's settings ... i'm not sure if it's capable of more in my environment (currently running it at 0 phase delay, 80hz crossover, nominal level, bass extension freq 20, bass extension freq mid)

i'm letting my denon 3312ci do bass management, i kind of manually calibrated my system (had a previous audissey setup and picked it up from there).

one more thing i have to say ... as big as the E55Ti's and the FV12 are .. .the E56Ci is .. HUGE !!! man !!!!!

once again, thanks GranteedEV and gene !

i will eventually get another sub and i'm pretty sure that some 15k mains and other such gear will blow my setup out of the water .... but i'm currently a VERY happy camper.

Best.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis