Emotiva xpa-3 or Outlaw 5000x?

A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
That was some interesting reading and I thank you for linking it. I do have a question though and Im wondering if anyone else who also read through this could parse something for me.

"Ultra amplifiers must be stable on all channels to 3.2 ohms"

Does this statement mean that all channles must be stable running a 3.2 NOMINAL speaker or that all channels must be stable with speakers that dip down as low as 3.2?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
THX Select vs. Ultra
That's the one I read, more than once. Somehow I still missed the key words you mentioned, 3.2 Ohms, continuous....that's not going to happen in AVRs, even many multi-channel power amps. I will do another text search.. Thank you.

Note: So far all I could find in that article was:

"With all products, the dynamic amplifier tests are done on up to all available channels. Ultra amplifiers must be stable on all channels to 3.2 ohms and swing an 18A peak, while Select products must be stable into 4 ohms (front channel) and 8 ohms (surrounds), and swing peaks of 12.5A and 6.2A respectively. "

That is not the same as what you quoted earlier "The THX Ultra2™ specification requires that the amplifier be able to drive all channels with speaker impedances as low as 3.2 ohms continuously."

"Stable" just mean stable, not "continuously", and done "up to all available channels" could mean "any" of the available channel", not necessarily mean "simultaneously", when they meant "simultaneously" in this article, they would use the word "simultaneously". Lastly, note the word "dynamic", dynamic tests are not "continuous" test..

Its a good write up and I bookmarked it, but they could have written it clearer, as it is now it can confused people.
And, please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to contradict you, just want to clarify my mind when I saw your quoted sentence (in italic).

Last edited:
A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
That's the one I read, more than once. Somehow I still missed the key words you mentioned, 3.2 Ohms, continuous....that's not going to happen in AVRs, even many multi-channel power amps. I will do another text search.. Thank you.

"With all products, the dynamic amplifier tests are done on up to all available channels. Ultra amplifiers must be stable on all channels to 3.2 ohms and swing an 18A peak, while Select products must be stable into 4 ohms (front channel) and 8 ohms (surrounds), and swing peaks of 12.5A and 6.2A respectively. "

That is not the same as what you quoted earlier "The THX Ultra2™ specification requires that the amplifier be able to drive all channels with speaker impedances as low as 3.2 ohms continuously."

"Stable" just mean stable, not "continuously", and done "up to all available channels" could mean "any" of the available channel", not necessarily mean "simultaneously", when they meant "simultaneously" in this article, they would use the word "simultaneously". Lastly, note the word "dynamic", dynamic tests are not "continuous" test..

Its a good write up and I bookmarked it, but they could have written it clearer, as it is now it can confused people.
And, please don't get me wrong, I don't mean to contradict you, just want to clarify my mind when I saw your quoted sentence (in italic).
Yup. Thats exactly how I read it as well. "Up to all channels...sometimes 2, sometimes 5," etc...
Pretty rediculous language

And I knew there was now way that a product would be tested and certified to do 3.2 ohms continuously on all channels and not even advertise itself as being able to drive ANY of its channels with 4ohm speakers.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
What do you mean by de rate?
That's a short question, but I am going to provide a long answer as I want to further clarify the point I made in post#108 and 114. By de-rate, I meant lower the rating, just like in the example I used how any AVR could have been rated 4 Ohm if the manufacturers wish to, simply by "halving" the 8 Ohm rated. Same thing with the continuous rating.

Let me use two numerical examples for your specific AVR, just to make things clearer for you:

AVR-5308 CI
Specs: 150 WPC, at 0.05% THD, 20-20,000 Hz, 8 Ohms

Using the power formula and Ohm's law you will find that at rated output, that is 150 W, 8 Ohm resistor load:

P = V^2/R, V = square root P*R = square root (150*8) = square root (1200) = 34.64 V
V = I*R, so I = V/R = 34.64/8 = 4.33 A

In order for Denon to rate this amp 150 W into 8 ohms, it has to be able to sustain 4.33 A minimum, into an 8 ohm resistor load.

Now if you want to find out what it could have been rated, for a 4 Ohm load, consider the following facts:

1) We know the amp can output 34.64 Vrms (by the way, all V in the example I am using shall be in RMS).
2) We know the amp can output at least 4.33 A.

So that means the amp can deliver 4.33 A into a 4 Ohm load at voltage up to 34.64 V.

You can see that if the same 34.64 V is applied to a 4 Ohm load, the current would be:

I = 34.64/4 = 8.66 A, that is "double" that of the current into an 8 Ohm load, using the power formula again:
P = V^/R, or = I^*R, either way you will end up with (34.64^2/4, or 8.66^2*4) = 300 W

If the Denon had a large enough power supply, it would "double down" from 150 W, 8 Ohm to 300 W, 4 Ohm.

The problem is, most manufacturers don't put large enough power supply in their AVRs, or even high end power amplifiers so that they can "double down" every time you lower the load resistance by half, such as going from 8 ohm to 4 ohm, or 4 ohm to 2 ohm etc.

In reality, you can find that in many cases, a mid range AVR from the major brands, as well as power amps, will give you more output into 4 Ohm than into 8 Ohms, but not by a factor of 2 (double), but rather, 1.2 to 1.5X.

That's why you will find the on a bench test, your Denon will likely be able to do 220 to 250 W into 4 Ohm "continuously" and would remain stable, in a both channel driven test.

"continuously" does not mean literally continuously, it typically mean the test signal is a "continuous" sine wave, not a short duration pulse, and for an extended period that could be 5, 10, 15 minutes or longer but definitely not hours, though some manufacturers, the likes of Krell, McIntosh, Boulder etc., might in fact mean literally continuous.

Back to my original point about "derating" and "half down..":

Any mid range and higher major brand AVRs could have provided the users a 4 Ohm rated output if they were willing to specify a lower number, i.e. "de-rated", from say 100 W 8 ohm to 50 W 4 Ohms.

Back to your Denon, to summarize:

- It could have been "officially" rated 75 W into 4 Ohms, that is de-rated from 150 W to 75 W, because then the the output voltage would be lower by half, in order to keep the current the same, thereby avoiding "overheating" due to the otherwise doubling of the current flow in the 4 Ohm load.

- It is certainly capable of much higher output in 4 Ohm than into 8 Ohm, if measured on the bench, in 2 channel (or even 3) driven condition because most mid range AVRs have power supply large enough to sustain higher current for a minute or even a few minutes, before the protection system shut the unit down. The AVR-5308CI is a flag ship class AVR so it certainly can do it for a few minutes, but no, they could not have provided such a rating, either out of fear that users would misinterpret such a rating, and/or due to the standards (FTC, or others) they applied to their products.

One more point, we have been talking about RMS voltage and current, and average power use in bench tests using sine wave. Program material such as music would be a different story as music contents usually have much higher crest factor than sine waves. That's another topic for another day.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yup. Thats exactly how I read it as well. "Up to all channels...sometimes 2, sometimed 5," etc...
Pretty rediculous language

And I knew there was now way that a product would be tested and certified to do 3.2 ohms continuously on all channels and not even advertise itself as being able to drive ANY of its channels with 4ohm speakers.
Excellent point about "advertise itself......." ! By the way, good to know that you are hanging around. This is a good forum with good helpful people, sometime of us can get a little sensitive, or reading too fast, responding too quick (love the edit feature) that's all..:)

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

I know I read it, I know I copied it, and I've been trying to find the article I copied it from.

I wish MCode would chime in on this

Last edited:
A

audiophool7878

Junior Audioholic
Excellent point about "advertise itself......." ! By the way, good to know that you are hanging around. This is a good forum with good helpful people, sometime of us can get a little sensitive, or reading too fast, responding too quick (love the edit feature) that's all..:)
I am learning a lot. While I'm not educated nearly enough to understand all of what you wrote , I am doing my best to digest what I can and I appreciate your level of expertise.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I reached out to one of our prestigious members and this was the information I've gathered

"THX standards, they are very comprehensive but today very few products are THX certified, due to cost and more amplifier channels..
The most strenuous standards are THX Ultra 2, here are the basics:
  • 1 Channel driven, @ 1kHz, into 3.2 Ohms, THD% <2%, not less than 40V peak, 28V RMS
  • 4 Channels driven. @ 1kHz, into 3.2 Ohms, THD% <2%, not less than 35V peak, 28V RMS
  • 5 Channels driven, @ 1kHz, into 8 Ohms, THD% <2%, not less than 40V peak, 28V RMS
  • All Channels driven, tone burst into 4 Ohms(10 complete cycles @ 1kHz, 10 Hz repetition rate), THD% <2%, not less than 40V peak, 28V RMS
  • 5 Channels driven, tone burst, into 4 Ohms(100 complete cycles1KHz, 1 Hz repetition rate), THD % <2%, not less than 35V peak, 28V RMS
Bottom line: Basically, the THX amplifier requirements were very demanding. However today the AVRs & amplifiers have more channels of amplification due to Dolby ATMOS and DTS-X so there is less emphasis on power per channel. If the brands were to meet these THX standards with their multi-channel amplifier stages, the product cost would increase significantly."

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is what it boils down to, as a rating is simply self advertising to begin with....what 4 ohm rating do they think is worth advertising?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I reached out to one of our prestigious members and this was the information I've gathered

"THX standards, they are very comprehensive but today very few products are THX certified, due to cost and more amplifier channels..
The most strenuous standards are THX Ultra 2, here are the basics:
  • 1 Channel driven, @ 1kHz, into 3.2 Ohms, THD% <2%, not less than 40V peak, 28V RMS
  • 4 Channels driven. @ 1kHz, into 3.2 Ohms, THD% <2%, not less than 35V peak, 28V RMS
  • 5 Channels driven, @ 1kHz, into 8 Ohms, THD% <2%, not less than 40V peak, 28V RMS
  • All Channels driven, tone burst into 4 Ohms(10 complete cycles @ 1kHz, 10 Hz repetition rate), THD% <2%, not less than 40V peak, 28V RMS
  • 5 Channels driven, tone burst, into 4 Ohms(100 complete cycles1KHz, 1 Hz repetition rate), THD % <2%, not less than 35V peak, 28V RMS
Bottom line: Basically, the THX amplifier requirements were very demanding. However today the AVRs & amplifiers have more channels of amplification due to Dolby ATMOS and DTS-X so there is less emphasis on power per channel. If the brands were to meet these THX standards with their multi-channel amplifier stages, the product cost would increase significantly."
That makes sense now, I never had doubt about the 3.2 ohm requirement, just the "continuous" part. Thank you for your friend's clarification.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
That makes sense now, I never had doubt about the 3.2 ohm requirement, just the "continuous" part.
I must have read a 100 articles trying to find information for the OP. I know I copied it from a reliable source because I wouldn't from a source that was unreliable. I tried to backtrack what I read but I couldn't find it sorry :(

about-to-cry.png

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis