Emotiva XDA-1 Fully Balanced DAC/Preamp

S

sharkman

Full Audioholic
SRC2496 has no remote - I'd have to get up and walk 6-8 feet to change volume :eek::p
I am on the fence with the SRC2496 - but it might be a good idea...
So it has no volume and no remote? Does it allow switching between sources? The Emotiva has all that and it sounds quite good. I have a feeling Emo is going to do something about the volume since in the just released manual they still reference a volume that moves up/down in .5 db increments. Plus on the product page of the XDA it has that same description. Apparently all it would take is an adjustment in the software.

But they should face this thing head on and be up front about it. They still haven't officially said anything about it.

jinjuku

jinjuku

So it has no volume and no remote? Does it allow switching between sources? The Emotiva has all that and it sounds quite good. I have a feeling Emo is going to do something about the volume since in the just released manual they still reference a volume that moves up/down in .5 db increments. Plus on the product page of the XDA it has that same description. Apparently all it would take is an adjustment in the software.

But they should face this thing head on and be up front about it. They still haven't officially said anything about it.
The SRC has volume control, it supports 3 sources. It doesn't have a remote.

The SRC is a studio piece that can fill in for home duty. It all depends on your approach. My typical approach is one of consolidation.

Soon as the Cable Card ready version of the HD Homerun is available and bug free I will be down to a single source in my HT: a single computer that does everything:

1. Music Library (full bit rate lossless)
2. Movie Juke for DVD's / BR
3. Cable / encrypted QAM tuner

No more switching between sources.

Same thing for my 2.0:

One source with a remote of some sort. (REW/FF/Mute/Play/Vol +/- etc...)

This lets me really open up the stage for DAC's since they don't have to meet quite so many requirements.

There are a ton of DAC's available via Amazon. Part of the the service there is you can return most items by logging onto your Amazon account and it will in about 60 seconds send a return label to your printer.

Right now I am leaning towards a Squeeze Box Touch and a 12v battery with the ability to toggle a float charger and build a nice hunky 12v to 5v regulator.

I may simply try using the SQB DAC straight to amp. As simple as the signal path can get.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
I will be receiving my Emotiva XDA1 this Friday.

The configurations to compare:
1. SB3->Parasound P3->NHT XD 2.2 (Parasound P3 has the volume control)
2. SB3->Emotiva XDA1->NHT XD 2.2 (Parasound P3 is out, volume control is on Emotiva XDA1 now)

Other than the normal listening there will be at least two things to test:
a. Channel separation. I have a CD with a track left-right. I disconnect one speaker (+sub) - let's say left side and I should never hear the word left - not even close to the right speaker.
b. Turn the volume all the way up without music and measure at 1m from speaker - see the noise level.

I will be posting the results. If you have any other ideas please let me know.

B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
finally I got my xda1

Fedex fu^&* up and I got my XDA1 3 days later - Monday instead of Friday. Supposedly bad weather. Whatever.
Now - I use my xda1 as both preamp and DAC. It is quieter than my Parasound P3 as a preamp - I can turn the volume all the way up without music and I get no noise. Nothing. While I used SB3 + Parasound while turning P3 at 65 out of 75 the noise started to be audible. Now - in real life I could only listen up to 60 level on the P3 - at that level the music is really too loud (painfully loud after a few minutes).
The XDA1 looks ok - not a looker. Packaging is good and you get no manual (use the online pdf - I like this, no trees wasted). XDA1 is built like a tank.
They also send you a nice looking remote which for me is useless since I use Harmony One from Logitec. For 299$ XDA1 was a good deal but now 349$ as a DAC it does have competition. You could also look at Dac Magic for 390$ or so; still DacMagic has no remote (and no preamp).
In the end I do recommend this Emotiva XDA1 - seems an honest piece of audio gear. Just look at other DAC+preamp combos - they are above 1500$ (Benchmark, Wyred 4 sound, etc).

B

bikemig

Audioholic Chief
It's too bad that the XDA-1 doesn't have any RCA inputs; it would have been a more useful pre-amp with them. Still it's tough to find a dac at this price with a remote so I am considering it.

S

sjcguy

Junior Audioholic
XDA-1 vs Hlly SMK-iii

has anyone heard or owned Hlly SMK-III balance dac? the spec is very good and the only thing missing is the remote control.
I couldn't decide between the Xda-1 which has mixed reviews and SMK-iii

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis