Emotiva X-Ref 12 Subwoofer Video Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
After a successful launch into the subwoofer market with their Ultra Series of subs, Emotiva decided to move things up a notch. Enter their new X-Ref subwoofers. The new Emotiva X-Ref subs come in 10" and 12" models and carry similar box dimensions to their Ultra 10 and Ultra 12 predecessor subs, respectively. Both series have very similar aesthetics from the outside, but, it's what's under the hood that counts. The new X-Ref subs have a more robust driver, more powerful amplifier and more available SPL output. In fact, on paper, the X-Ref 10 appears to outgun the bigger Ultra 12 subwoofer. Like all Emotiva products, construction quality of the X-Ref appears to be first-rate. The compact footprint allows these subs to be easily integrated into any room or system making them an ideal choice for systems employing multiple subwoofers. Of course, you'll also receive Emotiva's five-year transferrable warranty and 30-day no-hassle return policy and FREE shipping along with a preliminary lower pricing which is a great bonus to an already great value product line.

<p align="center"><object height="259" width="450"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/874a4Gw1ZV4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><embed width="450" height="259" src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/874a4Gw1ZV4?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object></p>

Discuss "Emotiva X-Ref 12 Subwoofers Video Review" here. Read the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Could you expand on this a bit?

Regardless, we still encourage users to bypass the internal crossover of their subs in favor of using the more robust bass management scheme their modern Dolby TrueHD / DTS HD A/V receivers offer. Still, the added EQ the Emotiva X-Ref subs offer can be a useful tool in tweaking system performance.
This statement suggests running the sub with a full range signal? How does running it one way or the other affect/interplay with that of the sub's DSP? One would disable any EQ by the reciever, if so equiped, I would presume.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This statement suggests running the sub with a full range signal? How does running it one way or the other affect/interplay with that of the sub's DSP? One would disable any EQ by the reciever, if so equiped, I would presume.
By using the Bass Management of your A/V receiver in conjunction with the LPF of the subwoofer, you are in a sense cascading crossovers. If they happen to share the same -3dB point, this can lead to excessive attenuation at or below the crossover frequency and/or cause phase issues at the crossover frequency with respect to the main channels. Sometimes however its ok to do this if you need to add electrical delay to one sub in a multi sub system. Measuring is the only way to be sure.

I was suggesting using the A/V receivers crossover which is typically 24dB/oct at 80Hz and its done in the digital domain (preferred) instead of using the crossover of the sub.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I understand the x-over cascade effect, I was more curious about it with respect to the sub's DSP. This DSP on this sub is for room integration/correction right? Would you have a similar "cascade" issue using a receiver that has Audessey? So in a case like that, one would run Audessey with the sub disabled and let the sub's DSP do the sub correction?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I understand the x-over cascade effect, I was more curious about it with respect to the sub's DSP. This DSP on this sub is for room integration/correction right? Would you have a similar "cascade" issue using a receiver that has Audessey? So in a case like that, one would run Audessey with the sub disabled and let the sub's DSP do the sub correction?
I believe the DSP is very limited on these subs. It's just an adjustable Q filter which you can use in conjunction with auto correction systems prior to running auto setup as I suggest in the following article:

Home Theater Multiple Subwoofer Setup Guide

B

bigkwewu

Audiophyte
Great stuff

Wonderful engineering, too bad it is made in china...And of course that is why the price are so great,

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
... In fact, on paper, the X-Ref 10 appears to outgun the bigger Ultra 12 subwoofer. ...
I think quite a few people need this sort of information, as they often assume that bigger (both in driver and in cabinet size) means better. The smaller one also weighs less.

So, if the measurements support what is on paper on these, the people who believe that larger is better and heavier is better really should pay attention and learn that actual performance is the only way to properly judge actual performance. Size and weight are not proof of anything about performance.

Of course, they are factors in performance, but they are far from the only factors, and therefore cannot be used alone to properly judge performance.

B

beyond 1000

Enthusiast
This was a good review of the sub. What difference is it if it is made in China. As long as it is built to the standards and specs of Emotiva's designers then the finished product can come from either the USA, China, or someplace else.

It looks like a solid unit and at $700 it is a good price for what is out there in retail land.

djreef

djreef

Audioholic Chief
This was a good review of the sub. What difference is it if it is made in China. As long as it is built to the standards and specs of Emotiva's designers then the finished product can come from either the USA, China, or someplace else.

It looks like a solid unit and at $700 it is a good price for what is out there in retail land.

My entire system was made in China. Dare I say, it's the best 2-channel rig I've ever owned.

DJ

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis