P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow, that speaker is very bass capable, -3 dB down to 25 Hz! It may be worth you time to use REW to find out which XO works best for 2.1. So I would definitely bet on 80 Hz, may be 60, if flat response is the goal, otherwise obviously go by ears is the best bet.:D

By the way, is that Denon player compatible with the newer Denon link HD such as that come with the X4400/4500H?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Wow, that speaker is very bass capable, -3 dB down to 25 Hz! It may be worth you time to use REW to find out which XO works best for 2.1. I am still betting on 80 Hz, may be 60.

By the way, is that Denon player compatible with the newer Denon link HD such as that come with the X4400/4500H?
That's the plan. I really dont need the subs at the mlp, but the room is large and at times it would be nice.

No denon link in the pro gear, for whatever the reason. I purchased it for 2 reasons, its 1u rack mount and it servers as my media player for the server.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
An interesting point that I can agree to, but as always, it depends... For example, I paid 15X more for the Bryston amp, 8X more for the Parasound Halo than my only QSC amp. So if one finds no sound quality difference between them, one can afford to replace the QSC amp at least 10X and end up financially ahead. I am positive that QSC amp will more than likely last longer than 10 years.... One very smart person, obviously much smarter than me, is @Verdinut.

I don't have too many amps, but aside from the objective stuff, I have to admit, look matters. I like the look of my Bryston, followed by my Marantz(s), NAD, then the Halo, Adcom, Anthem, Outlaw, not counting my DIY amp, the QSC's look is dead last:D, so if I were to go that route I would have to find ways to hide it from sight.
Big difference in amps. I have 3 QSC amps and one Crown xls 2000 as far as pro amps go. Crown sounds better by long shot but my old QSC (US made) 200 watt amp sounds great, I have to say the newer QSC amps are a big disapointment to me, they're for my son anyway, he don't know the difference.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Big difference in amps. I have 3 QSC amps and one Crown xls 2000 as far as pro amps go. Crown sounds better by long shot but my old QSC (US made) 200 watt amp sounds great, I have to say the newer QSC amps are a big disapointment to me, they're for my son anyway, he don't know the difference.
That's your own subjective perceptions, others may well be different, but point taken.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I like the DCA series QSC I'm using, so far zero issues.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I have a hard time commenting on Emotiva as I have only heard one years ago and to me it was very bright. When we replaced it with a NAD amp, the sound got more warm and balanced. Everyone thinks amps are supposed to be neutral and I agree they should just make it louder allowing you to hear the sonic signature of the rest of your gear. But in the real world this isn't true.
Rotel amps sound a lot like NAD in the fact they are a warm dynamic sound signature. I have no idea what Emotiva amps sound like today. I'm going back at least 10 years ago.
I have always wanted to grab a Emotiva amp and try one out in my home I just never got around to it.

On another note I don't think you can go wrong either way. Rotel makes solid dependable amps I've owned many. If spending more on Rotel over the affordable price on the Emotiva is fine then go for it. But I think I would get the Emotiva and at least try it out. Hell if you can swing it get both , compare them for a week each and see which one you like better.
Emotiva has great prices for what the specs say. The build quality looks good but I don't know who reliable they are. I'm sure tons of people can say how they are over time.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
An interesting point that I can agree to, but as always, it depends... For example, I paid 15X more for the Bryston amp, 8X more for the Parasound Halo than my only QSC amp. So if one finds no sound quality difference between them, one can afford to replace the QSC amp at least 10X and end up financially ahead. I am positive that QSC amp will more than likely last longer than 10 years.... One very smart person, obviously much smarter than me, is @Verdinut.

I don't have too many amps, but aside from the objective stuff, I have to admit, look matters. I like the look of my Bryston, followed by my Marantz(s), NAD, then the Halo, Adcom, Anthem, Outlaw, not counting my DIY amp, the QSC's look is dead last:D, so if I were to go that route I would have to find ways to hide it from sight.
PENG,
I'm not any smarter than you. If I had your money, I might have spent a lot more on amps just for the looks also! :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Everyone thinks amps are supposed to be neutral and I agree they should just make it louder allowing you to hear the sonic signature of the rest of your gear. But in the real world this isn't true.
Another interesting point, but it is again based on subjective perception/experience. It doesn't necessarily make it "isn't true" or "true" for others, or may be true to a point to some. That's why some people prefer to ignore/or(read it for a good read) the subjective reviews and rely on available verifiable specs, and as much relevant measurements as possible. Specs and measurements obviously are only reliable and relevant if the people involved are measuring the right things accurately, but some benches, such as Audioholics, seem quite reliable if interpreted properly, for indicating the DUT's transparency and accuracy. It would be great to hear @gene 's comment on this point though.

If those amps have a sound signature, it begs the question which signature is closer to the goal, that many manufacturers including NAD and Rotel of transparency and accuracy. Is what you described as "warm and dynamic" a signature that represents high transparency/accuracy relative to the recording/mastering in the recording studio, or live venues etc? If it is, I would like to see some measurements or specs that indicate such characteristics so that I can find out if any of my amps have the same or I have to buy one more. If I were to go by hearing, my amps do all sound what I consider to be neutral for all intents and purposes.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Bryston might make the very best amps dollar for dollar. They are truly incredible. The dynamic range always seems so effortless and plenty fun no matter what you connect to them. They also come with a 20 year warranty , not many anywhere can beat that.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Bryston might make the very best amps dollar for dollar. They are truly incredible. The dynamic range always seems so effortless and plenty fun no matter what you connect to them. They also come with a 20 year warranty , not many anywhere can beat that.
Agreed, mine is almost 14 years old and still looks like brand new. I am ready to let it go.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Are Outlaw amps likely to outlive Emotiva? Hoping for 10 or more years of life.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Are Outlaw amps likely to outlive Emotiva? Hoping for 10 or more years of life.
I can't answer for longevity, but I will say that my 2200s have not gotten hot. Little warm, but nowhere near as warm as my Marantz seems to get if my AC Infinity on top isn't running. I have no cooling on the Outlaws.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Personally, I would go with the Outlaw. Emotiva hasn't had that good a track record for reliability.

See also Post #33 above.

A good amplifier can easily last more than 20-25 years, provided that it is smartly driven.

Last edited:
walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
That's your own subjective perceptions, others may well be different, but point taken.
I see there are better QSC amps on the market, I am just speaking on the ones I have. Mine are entry level GX-5's and the older one I think is the model 1400 now that amp sounds great.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I see there are better QSC amps on the market, I am just speaking on the ones I have. Mine are entry level GX-5's and the older one I think is the model 1400 now that amp sounds great.
I can only vouch for the class AB RMX850a. It regular list for $550 on Amazon but I got it for a fantastic sale (Amazon.ca might have made a mistake for a few days) at $299.18 and that's Canadian dollars. That cheap amp sounded as good as my Parasound Halo A21. I have to replace the fan and added speed control to quiet things down. Other than that, it really is in the best value money can buy category of transparent sounding amplifier.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Bryston has the best warranty for sure.

Other than that, everything else is highly debatable.

I bet ATI could offer a 20 YR warranty also, but they would have to add another $5,000 to each amp. :D

I would rather use that money to buy some more amps. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis