R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
Hope everyone had a good holiday season. I am looking for some advice.

I am looking to upgrade my Denon AVR 1400. Do to space restriction I have to use one space for home theater and 2 channel audio. I have picked the Marantz AV7705 as my preamp. My question is, should i go with the Rotel RMB1585 $3000.00 or the Emotiva XPA5-Gen3 $2000.00? I am not sure why these products have such difference in price. I am aware that quality parts play a role in sound quality.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thank you

Eddie

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Hope everyone had a good holiday season. I am looking for some advice.

I am looking to upgrade my Denon AVR 1400. Do to space restriction I have to use one space for home theater and 2 channel audio. I have picked the Marantz AV7705 as my preamp. My question is, should i go with the Rotel RMB1585 $3000.00 or the Emotiva XPA5-Gen3 $2000.00? I am not sure why these products have such difference in price. I am aware that quality parts play a role in sound quality.

Any advice would be awesome.

Thank you

Eddie
Between the 2, I would take the Rotel, but imo you can do better with the SR7013 or AVR-X4500H and a MCA325 or A31, then you can try 5.1.4 or 7.1.4.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
My question is, should i go with the Rotel RMB1585 $3000.00 or the Emotiva XPA5-Gen3 $2000.00? I am not sure why these products have such difference in price.
The price of the Emotiva has dropped to $1600. Emotiva promises these power ratings:
300 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; one channel driven.​
550 watts RMS/channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD<0.2%; 4 Ohms; one channel driven.​
300 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; two channels driven.​
490 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 4 Ohms; two channels driven.​
250 watts RMS/channel; THD<0.1%; 8 Ohms; ALL FIVE channels driven.​

According to a review, it lives up to these promises.

The Rotel RMB1585 is no slouch:
Continuous Power Output 200W/Ch (All channels driven, 8Ω)​
Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) (20Hz–20kHz) <0.03%​

Why the large difference in cost, $3000 for the Rotel vs. $1600 for the Emotiva?
I suggest its entirely due to the way they are distributed and sold. Rotel sells through distributorships and retail brick & mortar dealers. There is a significant price markup at each of those levels. In contrast, Emotive sells by Internet Direct, avoiding the network of distributors and dealers, and their price markups. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Emotiva.

Another option is the Monolith 7x200 Watts, also sold online for $1600. It also sells by Internet Direct.

I am aware that quality parts play a role in sound quality.
I wouldn't be concerned about this. All these amps are well designed and well built.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I liked the Emo XPA-5...
Bought 5 Outlaw 2200s. Great amps. I think Peng likes his too. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The price of the Emotiva has dropped to $1600. Emotiva promises these power ratings:
Damn! They shoulda cut their prices last month for the holiday sales rather than giving out gift cards. They might've had me if the cost was that low in December.
Oh well.
The Outlaws do exactly what I need for the speakers I have /am getting.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

Why the large difference in cost, $3000 for the Rotel vs. $1600 for the Emotiva?
I suggest its entirely due to the way they are distributed and sold. Rotel sells through distributorships and retail brick & mortar dealers. There is a significant price markup at each of those levels. In contrast, Emotive sells by Internet Direct, avoiding the network of distributors and dealers, and their price markups. I wouldn't hesitate to buy the Emotiva.

Another option is the Monolith 7x200 Watts, also sold online for $1600. It also sells by Internet Direct.

I wouldn't be concerned about this. All these amps are well designed and well built.
In that review they measured one channel only, the 3 channel graphs were from Emo, unless I missed something..

I agree that Rotel's marketing costs will likely be higher, but another reason for the price difference could also be in the power supply. Emo uses class H and switching mode power supply, whereas Rotel's a conventional linear power supply. Watt for watt, power transformers/capacitors and heat sinks for such conventional power supplies for high power class AB amps tend to cost significantly more than SMPS+class H.

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern

Hey thank you for your input. I will look into the Monolith as well.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Love the Outlaw M2200 x 5 idea, as well as the Monolith

In my previous system I had a Rotel pre/pro and amp...I have 2 Emos in the current system. If it were me, of the two, Emo and Rotel I'd get the lower priced amp. Idk if you will realize any SQ difference, but certainly not enough to justify paying that much more for power.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I would consider an AVR so you only need possibly a 3 ch Monolith or 3 monoblock Outlaw 2200 amps since the front 3 are where external power would matter most. Are you running 11 speakers?

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
In that review they measured one channel only, the 3 channel graphs were from Emo, unless I missed something..

I agree that Rotel's marketing costs will likely be higher, but another reason for the price difference could also be in the power supply. Emo uses class H and switching mode power supply, whereas Rotel's a conventional linear power supply. Watt for watt, power transformers/capacitors and heat sinks for such conventional power supplies for high power class AB amps tend to cost significantly more than SMPS+class H.
Thank you for the input

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
I would consider an AVR so you only need possibly a 3 ch Monolith or 3 monoblock Outlaw 2200 amps since the front 3 are where external power would matter most. Are you running 11 speakers?
No, I am 5.1. However I would like to biamp my martin logan Motion 40's

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So many different theories about amplification, and I don't have any interest in arguing the potential merits of bi-amping...
But I think you would be better served putting an XPA DR2 on the L/R over bi-amping them. If your center is matched... use the XPA DR3. I put more faith in doubling the rms wattage than bi-amping. Not that I'm not curious. But I've heard speaker designers say it doesn't do anything. In fact two different speaker designers have told me they don't want their speakers bi-amped, but are ok if you want to bi-wire. One thought bi-wiring was good, the other thought that was a gimmick too.

Regardless: It's your ears, and your dollars. You do what makes you happy!:D

My choice is for Headroom! :cool:

That said, check out Crown XLS amps if you want to look at another option for good power. ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Do to space restriction I have to use one space for home theater and 2 channel audio.
One system can sound equally awesome for everything - 2CH music and 13CH Dolby Atmos movies and TV shows.

Last edited:

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
One system can sound equally awesome for everything - 2CH music and 13CH Dolby Atmos movies and TV shows.
I actually think if you get 2 CH music right, you're well on your way to a great surround sound system.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking:

1. Yamaha CX-A5200 + MX-A5200 11Ch amp (Dynamic Power = 500W x 2 Ch into 2 ohms).

Gene and I both have the Yamaha CX-A5100 + MX-A5000.

The MX-A5000 amp is powering my five RBH SX-T1/R speakers and four RBH VM-815 speakers in a 22' x 26' x 14' ceiling HT room. The ATI AT2005 amp (similar to the Monoprice 200x5 amp) is powering my five RBH SX-1010N subwoofers.

With 11Ch amp, you could certainly bi-amp your speakers if you desire.

2. Yamaha CX-A5200 or Marantz AV7705 + Adcom 5705 200x5 Ch amp (retail is $3K, but you could get it for under $2K from a dealer) or Monoprice 200x5 amp.

I think if you are absolutely dependent on Audyssey, then get the Marantz pre-pro.

Otherwise, I think the Yamaha CX-A5200 is a better pre-pro in terms of reliability, HDMI compatibility, and built-quality.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
On amps- one other option is to get a good pre-owned amp from ATI, Anthem, Adcom, B&K, Bryston, Carry Audio, Classe, Lexicon, Rotel, Sunfire, etc.

I recently sold my ATI AT3005 amp locally on Craigslist for $2K.

I also listed my ATI AT2005 amp on Craigslist for $1,800.

So you might be able to find a good pre-owned amp locally.

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
So many different theories about amplification, and I don't have any interest in arguing the potential merits of bi-amping...
But I think you would be better served putting an XPA DR2 on the L/R over bi-amping them. If your center is matched... use the XPA DR3. I put more faith in doubling the rms wattage than bi-amping. Not that I'm not curious. But I've heard speaker designers say it doesn't do anything. In fact two different speaker designers have told me they don't want their speakers bi-amped, but are ok if you want to bi-wire. One thought bi-wiring was good, the other thought that was a gimmick too.

Regardless: It's your ears, and your dollars. You do what makes you happy!:D

My choice is for Headroom! :cool:

That said, check out Crown XLS amps if you want to look at another option for good power. ;)
Thanks fro the input. I am always looking for options. I am not locked in on biamping. I am too new to the hobby to be locked in on anything.

R

Reduff2288

Audioholic Intern
Thanks fro the input. I am always looking for options. I am not locked in on biamping. I am too new to the hobby to be locked in on anything.
I noticed this Differential Reference when I was looking at emotiva. What is different about a Differential Reference amp?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I noticed this Differential Reference when I was looking at emotiva. What is different about a Differential Reference amp?
Biamping passively dosent really yield any audible benefits. As for the amp choices, the monolith is hard to beat for a 5 channel amp. You get to a point of diminishing returns with amps. I'd save money and add additional subs or upgrade speakers.

If and when you step up to your dream speakers, you can justify better specs even though they may not be audible. I'm powering a full range 2ch system with an $800 amp, and it still has incredible specs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis