Emotiva UPA-2 Gain Level

C

Chitown2477

Audioholic
I installing an Emotiva UPA-2 to drive my fronts on my 5.1 system. The other speakers will be driven by my Pioneer Elite VSX-21TXH receiver (rated at 110 watts per channel). Should I set the Emotiva’s gain level to the highest point and then use the AVR to adjust level for fronts to balance out the sound? Or should I use Emotiva’s gain level to balance out the sound?

Thanks

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
This depends on how much preout voltage the pioneer has.

If it has plenty, i would knock the gain down and send it more voltage. This will lower the noise floor.

If its preouts are clipping trying to drive the emotiva to full power, then you might want to raise the gain.

maybe there are third party measurements of it?

I don't know if the emotiva has a clip light or not, but one thing you can try, is to set the volume on the receiver to really damn loud (whatever the pioneer version of 0db is), and then turn the gain down from max until any low level noise is inaudible.

At that point, auto-recalibrate.

Last edited:
Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
In most cases, setting the gain all the way up on a power amp is the right choice. However, I recommend that you consult your manuals to be sure; look for what is appropriate for input levels on the power amplifier, and what sort of output levels your receiver puts out from its preamp section.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
I’d recommend gain-matching the UPA-2 to your Pioneer. Connect one of your L/R mains to the Pioneer’s left or right main channel, and your other speaker to one channel of the UPA-2. Play a pink noise source and measure both speakers’ level with a SPL meter. Adjust the UPA’s gain so that the two speakers measure the same SPL.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Last edited by a moderator:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Wayne you have some great info in your complete write up on gain

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-theater-receivers-processors-amps/35677-gain-structure-home-theater-getting-most-pro-audio-equipment-your-system.html

To begin, make sure all speakers are disconnected from the amplifiers! Also, make sure all speaker-level settings in the AVR’s menu are set to max, including the subwoofer output. Begin with the amplifiers’ gains all the way down (counter clockwise), and make sure the AVR is set for “Direct,” “Stereo,” “Bypass” mode, etc. – i.e. a straight two-channel signal.

Start the pink noise signal and turn the AVR’s volume control to the setting you previously determined delivered the highest clean (undistorted) signal. (See Part 7 if you’re unsure where that is). Then, increase the amplifier’s gain control until the clipping indicator begins to blink. Keep increasing the gain until the flickering indicator resolves to being lit steady. What we accomplish by setting the amplifier’s gain to clipping with a just-below clipping signal from the pre amp is that both will reach clipping at the same time in actual use. This is the goal of a successful gain structure.

Repeat the process for all outboard amplifiers in the system. If you’re also using amplifiers for the rear channels, we can’t give them a dedicated signal, but you can connect them to the AVR’s main channel outputs for this gain-setting processes, then move their connections back where they belong afterward. Center-channel amplifier gain-setting can be accomplished by switching the AVR to Dolby Pro Logic.

If you’re using an AVR, a good way to double-check your settings for the main-channel amplifiers is to re-do the level-matching exercise outlined in Part 8: Plug in a speaker to the amplifier, play the pink noise, adjust the AVR volume to something between 70-75 dBSPL. Then move the speaker wire from the amplifier to the AVR’s speaker connection (i.e. its built-in amplifiers) and re-measure the SPL. The two readings should either match, or be 1-2 dB louder for the outboard amp. If the SPL reading for the outboard amplifier is lower, it means the pre amp will be running at higher volume settings than before in normal use. And that means the pre amp will reach clipping before the outboard amplifiers will - not good.

Double-checking is a bit “iffy” if you’re using a pre-pro, since there are no built-in amplifiers for comparison. However, if you find you’re consistently using higher volume settings than with the consumer amps you were previously using, that may be an indicator of a less-than-optimal gain structure. Just keep an eye (ear?) out for audible distortion, especially during demanding action-movie scenes. If needed, re-perform the gain structure process with a lower pre-amp volume setting than before, or you could just bump the amplifier’s gains up a notch or two.

C

Chitown2477

Audioholic
Thanks all for the suggestions. I have been working on the settings this morning and it sounds pretty good. I do have a follow on question. As I hooked up the Emotiva amp, I plugged it into a separate outlet due. The primary reason was convenience.

However, I then thought about how much is too much in terms of a load for a single outlet. I currently have my 55" HDTV, Pioneer Elite AVR, DirecTV HDR, PS3, Sony Bluray player, xBox 360, WII, and ED A3-300 sub all plugged into a Panamax M5400-EX power conditioner. The power conditioner is plugged the other outlet in my living room.

Granted I never have all components running at the same time, I wonder if have anything to worry about from a electrical load perspective. I am currently renting but could have my landlord allow me to increase the circuit breaker size if that would help.

Any advice is appreciated.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks all for the suggestions. I have been working on the settings this morning and it sounds pretty good. I do have a follow on question. As I hooked up the Emotiva amp, I plugged it into a separate outlet due. The primary reason was convenience.

However, I then thought about how much is too much in terms of a load for a single outlet. I currently have my 55" HDTV, Pioneer Elite AVR, DirecTV HDR, PS3, Sony Bluray player, xBox 360, WII, and ED A3-300 sub all plugged into a Panamax M5400-EX power conditioner. The power conditioner is plugged the other outlet in my living room.

Granted I never have all components running at the same time, I wonder if have anything to worry about from a electrical load perspective. I am currently renting but could have my landlord allow me to increase the circuit breaker size if that would help.

Any advice is appreciated.
Write down every component and device that is on that circuit (lights, TV, clocks, stereo, whatever), and write down the power usage of each device. Then add it all up. You need to know which outlets and which overhead lights (and whatever other things there might be) are all on that one circuit in order to do this. Keep in mind, you need the sums of everything that you would ever have on all at once, and if there are different sets of things, you need to add up the different sets to see if any of the sets of things would be a problem. With a 120v circuit, 15 amps would be 1800 watts (120*15), so you don't want more than that on a 15 amp circuit. If you have a 20 amp circuit, it would be 2400 watts (120*20).

You can see from these numbers why some people would install special circuits just for their home theaters.

Now, since we are dealing with (hopefully) circuits with circuit breakers, if you ever did exceed the rating a bit too much, you would simply trip the circuit breaker and then need to reset it (but first disconnect one or more of the devices that caused the breaker to trip). The circuit breaker should prevent you from burning down the apartment, if, that is, it is properly wired and the circuit breaker is functioning properly.

On the other hand, if there is faulty wiring, then things could be very bad if you exceeded the limits of the circuit.

And, of course, if you are using power strips and surge protectors and/or extension cords, you need to pay attention to their ratings, and make sure you do not exceed their limits either, as doing so could cause a fire or other problem there rather than in the apartment wiring itself. For example, if you had a 20 amp circuit in the apartment, and a 15 amp power strip, if you plugged into that power strip 20 amps of stuff, the apartment circuit breaker is going to be happy with that amount, but your power strip will not be.

C

Chitown2477

Audioholic
Thanks for the reply, Pyrrho. Very informative and exactly what I was looking to get.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis