Emotiva RMC-1 or Monoprice HTP-1

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
I'm starting to think about a processor upgrade to go from 7.2.4 to 9.2.4. I plan to add some front wide channels. As such, I will be needing to upgrade my current Yamaha CX-5200 which has served me well. The YPAO room correction is not great. Others with more experience have recommended I look at Direc Live based processors. As such, I'm looking at the Monprice HTP-1 and Emotiva RMC-1.

3 years ago when I bought the Yamaha, I looked at the RMC-1 but it seemed there were many software bugs. The last thing I wanted to do when I finish a stressful day at work is to introduce more stress with my home theater. Have these bugs and stability issues been addressed or do they still exist? Maybe they were overblown in the past?

At the same time, the HTP-1 was just coming out, and there was not much to be said on them although those who did review it, shared it was very impressive.

Curious for thoughts on Direc Live capable processors. Perhaps there are others I should be considering?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Friends don't let friends buy Emotiva processors.

I've only seen one person that seems truly happy with their RMC-1.
compared to countless complaints from many others, including a slew of folk that were happy to switch to the HTP-1, even though it still has some flaws... but it works for the most part, especially with the custom firmware.

Last edited:
R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
So it's still the same then. Thank you. This helps. My Yamaha processor just works. Never a glitch or hiccup. Now I will say, it does not have the clarity of the Trinnov or Storm audio, both of which I have auditioned. Then again, the Yamaha isn't the price of a used car so you'd expect significant differences.

All that aside, I do want to step up with Direc Live room correction and support additional channels

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So it's still the same then. Thank you. This helps. My Yamaha processor just works. Never a glitch or hiccup. Now I will say, it does not have the clarity of the Trinnov or Storm audio, both of which I have auditioned. Then again, the Yamaha isn't the price of a used car so you'd expect significant differences.

All that aside, I do want to step up with Direc Live room correction and support additional channels
The HTP-1 is almost everything I would want except for the HDMI... they say that they are working on a plan to update to 2.1, but that may not happen this year as it sounds like a Power Supply upgrade would be required to handle what is demanded by the current HDMI2.1 chipsets.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

If you want Dirac Live DLBC and 13 channels processing, bite the bullet and get the AV10. It's expensive, hurt once but fix it for good. If DLBC is not a must, and if two independent subouts are enough for you, then I would recommend the Anthem AVM70. Otherwise wait for something else that can do 13 channel , DLBC and 4 independent sub outs, probably the replacement for the AVR-X6700H and SR8015 will do that for you. Yes they are AVRs but consider the internal amps a bonus that one day you may have use for some of them.

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
If you want Dirac Live DLBC and 13 channels processing, bite the bullet and get the AV10. It's expensive, hurt once but fix it for good. If DLBC is not a must, and if two independent subouts are enough for you, then I would recommend the Anthem AVM70. Otherwise wait for something else that can do 13 channel , DLBC and 4 independent sub outs, probably the replacement for the AVR-X6700H and SR8015 will do that for you. Yes they are AVRs but consider the internal amps a bonus that one day you may have use for some of them.
Thank you. I did consider Anthem, but opted against it due to the lack of direc live.

I think Marantz is good but I can’t justify the price point. To me I place Yamaha, Denon, Marantz in a similar category. I’ll concede Marantz is at the top.

If I am going to spend $7000, I might as well invest that into the next tier up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you. I did consider Anthem, but opted against it due to the lack of direc live.

I think Marantz is good but I can’t justify the price point. To me I place Yamaha, Denon, Marantz in a similar category. I’ll concede Marantz is at the top.

If I am going to spend $7000, I might as well invest that into the next tier up.

If you caught Gene's comment in one of the AV-10 review posts, the Storm isn't necessarily worth the added cost. ;) Not saying it's NOT for those with the disposable income to play in the ballpark, but $7k, especially if you can make a connect with a dealer who may discount it, is a really good price for what the AV-10 is doing.

Regardless, it is a big chunk of loot, and if HDMI 2.1 is not a Must Have, then the HTP-1 is potentially the best option for Dirac under $7K.

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
If you caught Gene's comment in one of the AV-10 review posts, the Storm isn't necessarily worth the added cost. ;) Not saying it's NOT for those with the disposable income to play in the ballpark, but $7k, especially if you can make a connect with a dealer who may discount it, is a really good price for what the AV-10 is doing.

Regardless, it is a big chunk of loot, and if HDMI 2.1 is not a Must Have, then the HTP-1 is potentially the best option for Dirac under $7K.
I don’t feel HDMI 2.1 is a big deal for me, at least not at this point. Please challenge me to think differently on this.

I have heard both storm and Trinnov. I thought they were both exceptional. Ultimately I will buy a Trinnov some day. It’s just some time off given the price and I want to support additional channels for now. Of course trinnov doesn’t use direc live but their room correction is excellent as I understand it.

That aside, I am sure the Marantz is very good. Although I am not sure I would be willing to pay that much for it in the interim

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
I want to stay with separates. I don’t see value in using an AVR to do the processing. I would never use the amps on the receiver and in my mind when you combine functions of processing and amplification in one box, you’re making sacrifices for convenience. I have ample amplification right now with some very good Rotel RMB 1095 amps. I have 3 of them. Eventually I will replace them too. It’s just a matter of prioritizing my purchases.

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
The HTP-1 was out of production the past two years, leaving those with a need to RMA their units SOL over that time period. Plus there were bugs (boot loops) only fixed by the community. It is a cheap processor, I will grant it that, but a bit of a science experiment...

ban25

ban25

Audioholic
I want to stay with separates. I don’t see value in using an AVR to do the processing. I would never use the amps on the receiver and in my mind when you combine functions of processing and amplification in one box, you’re making sacrifices for convenience. I have ample amplification right now with some very good Rotel RMB 1095 amps. I have 3 of them. Eventually I will replace them too. It’s just a matter of prioritizing my purchases.

FWIW, the amplifier sections in those D+M AVRs easily outperform the Rotel 1095 in terms of THD+N...Of course the receivers have full pre-outs, so if you prefer the lower performance of the 1095, you are welcome to continue using it. :D

Not a knock against Rotel gear, BTW, I love the stuff, but I am clear-eyed about how it measures.

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Thank you. That is what I thought. I am not a gamer. My gaming is restricted to my pinball machine, pacman and centepede games from years ago. I'm good then as I suspected with the current HDMI standard

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you. That is what I thought. I am not a gamer. My gaming is restricted to my pinball machine, pacman and centepede games from years ago. I'm good then as I suspected with the current HDMI standard
Based on the info you provided so far, it really looks like the HTP-1 is your best/even only choice.

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
FWIW, the amplifier sections in those D+M AVRs easily outperform the Rotel 1095 in terms of THD+N...Of course the receivers have full pre-outs, so if you prefer the lower performance of the 1095, you are welcome to continue using it. :D

Not a knock against Rotel gear, BTW, I love the stuff, but I am clear-eyed about how it measures.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and perspective. I too am clear-eyed about what I want to accomplish. That is to stay with separates as I believe that offers me the best experience.

Now at the risk of turning this into a holy war, I want to first acknowledge my current Rotel amps are approaching 20 years of age which is why I will replace them at some point versus recapping them. That aside, I would expect there to be improvements in amps since I made the purchase in 2006.

That aside, the THD metrics for the RMB 1095 both from the manufacturer (Rotel) and by independent reviewers (including Audioholics), give these amps glowing reviews. Back in their day, they were hard to beat at their price point. At quick glance from Marantz's website, the THD metrics are not too far off from the Rotel. The Rotel is listed at .03% and the SR8015 is listed at .05%.

When you get past this and move on to the delivery of good clean power, the Rotel's do not compromise on delivering 200WPC with all channels driven. The SR8015 delivers 140WPC which I would submit likely dips significantly when more channels are driven. Is it audible? Maybe, maybe not.

All that to say, I recognize some will prefer to go the integrated AVR route. That is fine for them. There's nothing wrong with that approach. In fact, I did so years prior before I went the separate route. I simply have no interest in going back to an integrated setup and will continue to keep my processing and amplification separate. That being said, I did challenge my assumptions on this. My thinking was confirmed by auditioning an integrated Marantz AVR when my Rotel processor died. I first used it as an integrated processor/ amp and it sounded great. Then I configured it with external amplification (one of my Rotels). I found this way improved the sound quality, depth and overall warmth of the sound. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but to my ears, it sounded better this way and that is all that mattered to me.

Last point, I also do not use RCA interconnects but rather XLR. Again, likely another holy war discussion, but I find I get better performance from XLR, especially for longer runs than I do from RCA, plus the feedback, hums, I heard at my old house were less pronounced using XLR's.

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
Based on the info you provided so far, it really looks like the HTP-1 is your best/even only choice.
yes, as an interim solution, it's in my price range and checks the boxes I have set. I am just not ready to spend $15k on a Trinnov. If I wasn't adding 2 more channels. I would just wait it out.

Now all I have to do is find an HTP-1. Fortunately, I am not in any hurry.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Did you ever compare Dirac vs Bypass and Trinnov vs. Bypass? What was the difference?

R

Rzelinka

Audioholic Intern
I can't say that I have. What I can say, is the following:

1) YPAO room correction didn't sound good to me, I ran in bypass and it sounded much better. Subjective I know.
2) I heard a Trinnov room before, it was spectacular. I presume it was configured with their room correction.
3) I have heard a Storm Audio room before. It was equally impressive to what I heard from the Trinnov.
4) I have heard a Marantz processor with room correction in my setting. It was good, about the same as what I get from my current processor.

Now I haven't been able to compare the Trinnov, or Storm Audio in my setting, so I can't say how they would sound.

Q

Quaddragon

Audiophyte
This forum is why I just purchased my HTP-1. Can't wait for it to get here.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis