Emotiva ER 5.0 Speaker System Review

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Personally I think Ascend is a great company and makes very good speakers. Their speakers may not look as pretty as some of the others, but this just means that your money is not wasted on pretty cabinets, instead your money is being spent on very high quality drivers, tweeters, etc., giving you outstanding sound.

D

Demonster

Enthusiast
Has anyone found specs on the new dual sub system by emotive? They are accepting preorders but dont have specs on the web site.

Doug917

Doug917

Full Audioholic
Has anyone found specs on the new dual sub system by emotive? They are accepting preorders but dont have specs on the web site.
This is because they have redesigned the DSA-1 amp and given it more power and processing, but have not speced it out yet. The price will remain the same. I think they are probably a month or two away from firm specs yet.

L

Lonnie

Enthusiast
As of right now the final code for the DSP and GUI for the computer interface is being written, so hopefully it won't be to much longer and specs will be coming soon. :)

majorloser

majorloser

Preliminary Review

I've recently received a 7.0 setup of the Emotiva ERM-1's and ERD-1's for my GTG here in Florida next month. I will be setting up a full 7.1 (or .2) setup in my living room for this meet. But before I set the full system up I decided to spent some time over the past weekend listening to just two-channel material with the ERM-1 bookshelf speakers alone.

They are remarkably good performers and have excellent bass extension for a sealed box configuration. I'll leave the technical performance specs to the pros at Audioholics. So this time around I wanted to focus on the important stuff for us "layman". How do they sound? How hard are they to setup/install? How well will they fill my room with sound? Once I'm done I'll write up a final review for everybody to read.

But my early impressions are very favorable.

The build quality is very high with the cabinets and hardware. The external semi-gloss black finish is excellent, though I would probably want more options, like wood veneers. The rear panels with the binding posts (two sets for bi-amping) and selector switches (tweeter gain and boundary compensation) are nicely recessed with a smooth beveled edge. The front grills are attached magnetically and are easily removed. Upon removal you expose a very nice black finished, brushed alluminum front baffle. I personnally thing the plain cloth grill covers one of the nicest looking front baffles on the market. I'd leave them off.

To briefly state the sound quality in my two-channel listening, these speakers are very accurate and clean. At this time I have not paired them with a subwoofer as I wanted to hear only the two speakers alone. I'm sure if paired with the new Emotiva subwoofer these bookshelf speakers would make an excellent "full range" two-channel system that would be worthy of any critical listening. Since these speakers are not ported their placement is fairly easy if space is a concern. I personally don't like how many companies have chose to place a port in the rear of a bookshelf speaker. It takes away the main reason you buy a "bookshelf" speaker, to place them on a bookshelf (or in an entertainment center). But thankfully Emotiva chose to stay with a sealed design.

I'll post a formal review later...........hopefully soon :rolleyes:

Here's some early pictures:

The equipment I was using for the review was a Yamaha RX-V863 receiver and a Oppo DV-981HD universal player.

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
True, with the grilles on these aren't necessarily 'stunners' in the looks category, but with them off, they are pretty sleek and stylish. If I weren't pleased with my current setup, I'd be all over this system in a heartbeat.

In fact, after hearing some of the rave reviews of their surrounds, I may have to give them a whirl.

Looking forward to your take on these, Major. in fact I'm looking over Doug's comments now... -TD

Matt34

Matt34

I recently received the 7-speaker package from Emotiva and put my thoughts down on their forum here:

http://emotivalounge.proboards54.com/index.cgi?board=speakers&action=display&thread=1463
True, with the grilles on these aren't necessarily 'stunners' in the looks category, but with them off, they are pretty sleek and stylish. If I weren't pleased with my current setup, I'd be all over this system in a heartbeat.

In fact, after hearing some of the rave reviews of their surrounds, I may have to give them a whirl.

Looking forward to your take on these, Major. in fact I'm looking over Doug's comments now... -TD
I wish I could(hint, hint;)), dang filters here are blocking the Emtovia Lounge.:( Heck, I didn't even know Emotiva has a three-channel amp(XPA-3) coming out later this month.

majorloser

majorloser

I wish I could(hint, hint;)), dang filters here are blocking the Emtovia Lounge.:( Heck, I didn't even know Emotiva has a three-channel amp(XPA-3) coming out later this month.
Dude, come home already! Lack of high speed internet is just another sign you're in Hell.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
hey Major, can you do some sort of A/B comparison of the Emos vs. something similarly priced?

majorloser

majorloser

hey Major, can you do some sort of A/B comparison of the Emos vs. something similarly priced?
Sure, I'm going to have TONS of speakers at my house in a few weeks. Right now I happen to have a pair of RBH TK-5C's that I was running them against. The RBH TK-5C's are rear ported. The Emotiva ERM-1's are sealed boxes.

pepar

pepar

Junior Audioholic
I realize that I'm late to the party - so late that everybody has probably gone home. Anyway, I've just read the review and it sounds like Tom was impressed and really liked them. However, there were two things about the review that struck me. One was a "con" - "Center channel performance diminished in-cabinet" - which I could not find mention of in the body of the review.

And the second and most disturbing - and maybe a typo - was from the second paragraph of the "listening evaluation" - "I generally notice the most about a new set of speakers within the first few moment of listening to them and during direct A/B comparisons. Sometimes those initial impressions are born out through the A/B testing and sometimes they aren't. In this case, the latter was definitely true." - which I read as his initial impressions were not born out. However, his initial impressions were positive, and so was his final assessment. WhatdidImiss?

- Jeff

B

babs

Audiophyte
Hi.. probably my first post here. 1st.. I've loved this site for great info for years now. As chance and filling out a quick entry would have it over at modernhometheater... I've suddenly found myself carrying in a 7 channel set of Emotiva speakers.. Three ERM-1's and two sets of ERD-1's. No joke.. :) I never win anything, but tada!!! Unboxed an ERM-1 last night and the build quality looks pretty rockin'... Especially considering their price-point.

Posted in a couple other forums but no answers yet but given that I can't currently just plug these up and go, I'm wondering what can I realistically expect.. I sold of some paradigm reference v.3's a few months back.. (40's, cc-470, 20's and Servo-15)... For you guys that have owned or heard these newer studio's..

How could you stack up the ERM's with say the 20's or 40's??
(detail, neutrality/natural-ness, imaging, staging, dynamics, etc etc.. the usuals)

... understanding completely that the paradigms are significantly higher price-point speakers, but they're also retail store marketed, so.. Can these little Emotiva's hang in comparison in their designed freq range? I was thrilled with the 'digms but had to let 'em go with the new little family addition.. ya know. :)

Winning the ERM's has sparked my interest in breaking down and getting the basement room done already... Tell ya how removed I've been from it.. I don't even have as much as an integrated amp or old receiver to even try the speaks with. Funny how priorities change. :)

Thanks for any input for frame of reference with 'digm studios or even B&W's or other that can be compared.

A

allargon

Audioholic General
Sure, I'm going to have TONS of speakers at my house in a few weeks. Right now I happen to have a pair of RBH TK-5C's that I was running them against. The RBH TK-5C's are rear ported. The Emotiva ERM-1's are sealed boxes.
Well, if those RBH TK-5C's disappoint you and take up too much space at your place, you can always send them to me. :D

majorloser

majorloser

Well, if those RBH TK-5C's disappoint you and take up too much space at your place, you can always send them to me. :D
The TK5's are still piled in the same place they were last month at Lalapa-Loser '08.
I haven't decided on what to do with them, yet. Might go to my office.

Babs:

I too am now a proud owner of the Emotiva 7.0 setup or should I say Loserwife is the proud owner of these speakers! The Emotiva ERM-1 outperforms the RBH TK-5C with no problem. If you won these you are quite a lucky person, indeed! I don't think you'll be disappointed. You may need to either download the instruction manual or ask Emotiva to send you one. They released these speakers as soon as they got them in stock. The manuals weren't printed at the time. They are also redesigning the front magnetic grills. They promised to send out a set to all owners when they are released.

As Lonnie from Emotiva stated earlier in this thread, the speakers were designed to disappear in the room once the lights are off or dimmed. The matte black finish makes them invisible.

If you are looking to upgrade in the near future you should think about their new LCR speaker, the ERM 6.3. It is an awesome center channel upgrade:
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/majorloser/07121008GTG001.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/majorloser/07121008GTG071.jpg

You can also upgrade the front L & R speakers with their new ERM 6.2 bookshelf. It's the big brother of the ERM-1's.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/majorloser/07121008GTG023.jpg
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f111/majorloser/07121008GTG024.jpg

Once I finish getting the complete system installed in Loserwifes bedroom, I'll start a thread with her theater :rolleyes:
(But I'm still waiting on Emotiva's UMC-1 pre/pro to make that possible)

B

babs

Audiophyte
Thanks.. yeah I also saw a floorstanding version as well which looks really promising..

Looks like the ERM-1 is just the toe to check the temperature, and these further designs are the attempt for a perfect score in the loudspeaker market pool. :) .... watching too much Olympics lately. hehehe

I've never heard any of the RBH's so have no frame of reference there.. In recent or any current designs, just B&W 600, CDM, CM, 800 series.. paradigm reference series v.3 to have a reference to.

Though I'd certainly never expect the ERM's to hang with B&W 805's at $2k+, if they actually came fairly close to the accuracy etc performance of something like studio 20's.. I'd be in awe and super thrilled. Well, given the fact that they're sitting in my house now, I am graciously grateful and ecstatic.. Silly-speechless-super-thrilled really. Gotta love an invoice that says "0" at the total line. :) Like when does THAT ever happen. yeeeeeeeeeehaw! :cool:

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
Though I'd certainly never expect the ERM's to hang with B&W 805's at $2k+,
The ERM-1 display many of the qualities I prefer in speakers at any price point. I found them to be clear and detailed without being bright, neutral and without the resonant midrange that I find in a lot of speakers. I think it's an outstanding speaker for the list price, but free is even better. Combined with a good sub, they will be hard to beat (at least to my ears).

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Slight resurrection from the dead of this thead ("No more rhymes now I mean it!" :)). Just wanted to weigh in a little with my take of the ERD-1 surrounds.

Initially, I thought they were very good surrounds for the money, this was back when they dropped the price from $350 to $315. Now that they are selling at $250 a pair, I'd have to say these are an outstanding deal.

My first objective was to compare them to the performance of the Axiom QS8s that I'd previously owned. While they didn't quite seem to measure up to them at the time, I'd have to say after having them for a couple of months now, they more than hold their own for movies and I'd have to say outperform the QS8s with music. I thought the QS8s would be be impossible to best at their price, but the ERDs hold their own and then some. When you see/hear how well the ERDs perform, you'll be amazed at how tremendous a value they really are... -TD

majorloser

majorloser

New Speaker Grill Design

Emotiva just started sending out new speaker grills for all owners of ERD-1's and ERM-1's. FREE

Not that there was anything wrong with the old grills. They just weren't happy with them. The new grills have a little darker black appearance and don't have the slight sheen of the older grills. They also include a new circular chrome company emblem with the "E".

I received mine last week. They make a great speaker even better.

Most companies would just add a new item to new sales and call it an "upgrade".
But they went through the expense of shipping them to all owner. :cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis