G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
Although I do believe there are amps with significantly less IM and that may be a contributing factor, I have settles on compression and the main reason to get a more powerful amp.

When an AVR runs out of power for whatever reason (difficult load etc), you will not hear the sound that is not produced :)

- Rich
Is there any reliable evidence to show that IM in modern receivers is an audible problem? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm actually curious if there is data to support that claim.

Last edited:
RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is there any reliable evidence to show that IM in modern receivers is an audible problem? I'm not trying to be difficult, I'm actually curious if there is data to support that claim.
From this and other reviews, it is clear the two tone tests produce more IM/ringing.
I'd like to see more tests for complex waves to get a better idea if this becomes audible for more complex signals.

Also, the article state that THD+N measurements are required to include +/- 250hz so additional sound produced outside that range are not included in the distortion numbers:

And at 20 volts, IMD was actually less, at 0.014%. If you look at the peaks around the 2 kHz fundamental, they are higher than the ones in the 5 volts graph. The reason the distortion number is less is because the fundamental is higher in relation to the distortion peaks than in the 5 volts test. Note also that there are more IM peaks around the 4 kHz, 6 kHz, 8 kHz regions (multiples of 2 kHz) than in the 5 volt test, but IM measurements only take into account the peaks at ± 250 Hz around the fundamental (2 kHz), so this is why showing the actual graph is important, rather than just giving a number.
Lexicon ZX-7 Multi-Channel (300 watts x 7) Power Amplifier - Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

These numbers are still low and likely inaudible, but IM appears to be greater than the numbers indicate.

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, we see specs for distortion, SNR, crosstalk, etc. They may be fun (or not) to talk about from an academic perspective, but in reality none of these numbers are high enough to even be audible for humans. :D

Unless you spend $25K on an amp, and then it becomes very audible. :eek: :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, we see specs for distortion, SNR, crosstalk, etc. They may be fun (or not) to talk about from an academic perspective, but in reality none of these numbers are high enough to even be audible for humans. :D

Unless you spend $25K on an amp, and then it becomes very audible. :eek: :D
Agree, only audible if you believe it is. I highly recommend Rich read the articles by Bob Carver and Roger Russell that I linked in the other thread if he hasn't read them yet.:D To me, specs are more than fun though, I want the best that I can afford, regardless of audible or not, don't you too?.:D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
Agree, only audible if you believe it is. I highly recommend Rich read the articles by Bob Carver and Roger Russell that I linked in the other thread if he hasn't read them yet.:D To me, specs are more than fun though, I want the best that I can afford, regardless of audible or not, don't you too?.:D
Hey, I do my homework. :p
A lot has changed since that Carver test speakers are much more revealing, etc.

I also read the one that concluded that IM was probably larger than specified when playing music.

Gentlemen, talk is cheap, but the amps we are buying are not :p

- Rich

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hey, I do my homework. :p
A lot has changed since that Carver test speakers are much more revealing, etc.

I also read the one that concluded that IM was probably larger than specified when playing music.

- Rich
Too bad I am not filthy rich enough to buy Krell amps. :D

G

Goliath

Full Audioholic
PENG said:
Agree, only audible if you believe it is.
The audiophile world has strong parallels to Neverland. If you have enough belief, anything is possible. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes I understand your point, the number would be higher, but I also read more than once that it is more difficult to hear the IM when using complex music contents. One being from the article that involved the 4 "clowns", one being Julian Hirsch.

I think you know I know that very well already and will no doubt agree 100%.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis