Emotiva A-5175 vs Outlaw audio 5000 vs Xpa5 Gen3

J

Joamons

Audiophyte
Thoughts on how outlaw audio 5000 compares with emotiva A-5175 ?
Wanted to consider XPA-5 GEN3 but concerned with the smps power supply vs previous linear + toroidal config - any thoughts on gen2 vs gen3 from an audio quality standpoint ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thoughts on how outlaw audio 5000 compares with emotiva A-5175 ?
Wanted to consider XPA-5 GEN3 but concerned with the smps power supply vs previous linear + toroidal config - any thoughts on gen2 vs gen3 from an audio quality standpoint ?
Both SMPS and conventional linear PS can be good. It is not about the type, but how it is done. Same thing for E-I frame vs toroidal, one is not always better than the other, both have pros and cons.

Regarding the Emotiva A5175 vs Outlaw 5000, both are class AB design, with linear power supply. The 5000 seems to have a larger power supply, definitely more capacitance, 6,800 uf (20X6800, series/parallel) vs 4,000 uf (10X8,000, series/parallel) per channel. I am not sure if the total caps for the Outlaw are shared between the 5 channels, or 6,800 uf for each channel, the Emo's does appear to be shared between the 5 channel because there are a total of only 8 caps.

My guess is that the real world power output of the two will be very similar. I would just go for the look and price, can't go wrong either way. Outlaw appears to have a longer warranty, if that matters to you.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Both SMPS and conventional linear PS can be good. It is not about the type, but how it is done. Same thing for E-I frame vs toroidal, one is not always better than the other, both have pros and cons.

Regarding the Emotiva A5175 vs Outlaw 5000, both are class AB design, with linear power supply. The 5000 seems to have a larger power supply, definitely more capacitance, 6,800 uf (20X6800, series/parallel) vs 4,000 uf (10X8,000, series/parallel) per channel. I am not sure if the total caps for the Outlaw are shared between the 5 channels, or 6,800 uf for each channel, the Emo's does appear to be shared between the 5 channel because there are a total of only 8 caps.

My guess is that the real world power output of the two will be very similar. I would just go for the look and price, can't go wrong either way. Outlaw appears to have a longer warranty, if that matters to you.
Would the Model 5000 power be higher if driving only 3 speakers?

J

Joamons

Audiophyte
Would the Model 5000 power be higher if driving only 3 speakers?
=> I had the same question , and thank you @PENG for the info ..

=> The capacitance being shared for emotiva 5175 vs dedicated per channel for outlaw 5000 -- i am assuming dedicated is better ? (does this have any effect on being able to drive more power if less channels are used ) ?

Also for emotiva will it be 8000 uf or 4000uf per channel ?

thank you !

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
=> I had the same question , and thank you @PENG for the info ..

=> The capacitance being shared for emotiva 5175 vs dedicated per channel for outlaw 5000 -- i am assuming dedicated is better ? (does this have any effect on being able to drive more power if less channels are used ) ?

Also for emotiva will it be 8000 uf or 4000uf per channel ?

thank you !
Emotiva A-5175

The picture shows 8X10,000 uf/50 V. So to be on the conservative side, it is reasonable to assume they have to group 4 of them in parallel and then put the two groups of 4 in series for them to work with the rail voltage with sufficient safe margin.

4X10,000 uf in parallel = 40,000 uf
2X40,000 uf in series = 20,000 uf

That's a total equivalent capacitance of 20,000 uf at 100 V (50 V per group of 4). Emotiva can get away with a less storage capacitance most likely (not 100% sure without seeing the schematic diagram) because the equivalent 20,000 uf are shared between the 5 channels, and we all know it is rare to have media contents demanding peak current simultaneously, except 5 channel stereo.

1547383572162.png

Outlaw Model 5000
Below are Gene's comments in the linked review:
https://www.audioholics.com/amplifier-reviews/outlaw-5000

Each channel also has its own power supply capacitor bank made up of four loosely spaced 6,800uF capacitors. The user manual for the Model 5000 claims a total of 27,200uF of power supply capacitance per channel but it’s a bit misleading since upon closer inspection I found the capacitors were only 50V rated which means they had to be wired in series-parallel to handle the voltage necessary to deliver the rated 120 watts/channel. Thus the equivalent capacitance per channel is actually only 6,800uF.

J

Joamons

Audiophyte
Emotiva A-5175

The picture shows 8X10,000 uf/50 V. So to be on the conservative side, it is reasonable to assume they have to group 4 of them in parallel and then put the two groups of 4 in series for them to work with the rail voltage with sufficient safe margin.

4X10,000 uf in parallel = 40,000 uf
2X40,000 uf in series = 20,000 uf

That's a total equivalent capacitance of 20,000 uf at 100 V (50 V per group of 4). Emotiva can get away with a less storage capacitance most likely (not 100% sure without seeing the schematic diagram) because the equivalent 20,000 uf are shared between the 5 channels, and we all know it is rare to have media contents demanding peak current simultaneously, except 5 channel stereo.

View attachment 27792

Outlaw Model 5000
Below are Gene's comments in the linked

Thank you @PENG .. so running either with just 3 of the 5 channels should give more power output per channel right ? Does the difference in capacitors config provide either amp an advantage in this regard ?

J

Joamons

Audiophyte
Thank you @PENG .. so running either with just 3 of the 5 channels should give more power output per channel right ? Does the difference in capacitors config provide either amp an advantage in this regard ?

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
In general yes, but without seeing the power schematics I can't say for sure. Again, my guess is that the Emo's power supply is shared by all 5 channels, or 3 if only 3 are used.

If you are so concern about the minor difference in output power between the two, you should use the linked calculator to figure out how much power you really need, then you will know how much safe margin you have with either amp.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

J

Joamons

Audiophyte
Thanks again ... I have elac ub5’s 4 ohm speakers and sensitivity is pretty low ~ 84 i believe .. recommendations online have been to get a beefy amplifier to get the best out of them ...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks again ... I have elac ub5’s 4 ohm speakers and sensitivity is pretty low ~ 84 i believe .. recommendations online have been to get a beefy amplifier to get the best out of them ...
According to their website, Elac ub5's peak power handling is only rated 140 W, both amps can output more than 200 W average, that is >400W peak. So there is no need to use any calculator, even a mid range receiver can drive the ub5 to their limit.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis