eMachines T5026 Card Reader

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
My card reader doesn't work on my T5026. It doesn't show up under My Computer and when I put an SD card in from my camera the little light beside the reader doesn't light up. A couple of days ago AVG installed a new version of itself and as an added bonus they gave me the AVG Tune UP for a day which I used to erase everything under the sun including restore points from before and I erased or permanently deleted all kinds of stuff because I'm not so bright. :eek:

Now I would like help putting the toothpaste back in the tube. :rolleyes:

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
My card reader doesn't work on my T5026. It doesn't show up under My Computer and when I put an SD card in from my camera the little light beside the reader doesn't light up. A couple of days ago AVG installed a new version of itself and as an added bonus they gave me the AVG Tune UP for a day which I used to erase everything under the sun including restore points from before and I erased or permanently deleted all kinds of stuff because I'm not so bright. :eek:

Now I would like help putting the toothpaste back in the tube. :rolleyes:
Did you download your motherboard drivers and see if you could reinstall them? However with no light coming on you might open it up and see if you can see some visual damage :(

http://www.emachine-upgraders.info/

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Did you download your motherboard drivers and see if you could reinstall them? However with no light coming on you might open it up and see if you can see some visual damage :(

http://www.emachine-upgraders.info/
That site doesn't even register using FF. :eek:
Using IE it doesn't look like I trust it or know how to use it. When you say motherboard drivers do you mean chipset drivers like the one to be found at the eMachines site?

I think downloaded it. I've been aware of it for a while but too chickensh!t to install it up until now. Anyway, still no go. I'll peak inside later on. I've been wanting to clean it out again and rework the way the tower is set up anyway.

bandphan

bandphan

Banned
That site doesn't even register using FF. :eek:
Using IE it doesn't look like I trust it or know how to use it. When you say motherboard drivers do you mean chipset drivers like the one to be found at the eMachines site?

I think downloaded it. I've been aware of it for a while but too chickensh!t to install it up until now. Anyway, still no go. I'll peak inside later on. I've been wanting to clean it out again and rework the way the tower is set up anyway.
Ive had that site bookmarked for a few years but havent been there in a while:eek: Yes the drivers from e machines for the mobo.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes the drivers from e machines for the mobo.
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing but you keep saying mobo and they keep saying chipset but it's from here that I got what I got. After reading (skimming) the read me file on the installation I decided to just go with it regardless of the fact that I understood none of what they were talking about. Luckily an installation wizard showed up and walked me through it and it worked but still no SD card reader function.

I took the side of the case off for a visual inspection and a wiggling of wires. Still, no card reader. There is a black cloud hanging over my head. On the bright side this is happening to my XP desktop but I have a Vista laptop and I have a Vista for Dummies DVD from Netflix. Maybe it's time to say goodbye to the card reader.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same thing but you keep saying mobo and they keep saying chipset
It's like saying 'RCA cable'. Everyone knows there is no such thing as an RCA cable but it is understood (by those that understand of course) that it means a coax cable with an RCA connector.

The 'chipset' is, well, the set of chips on the motherboard such as the i/o, memory controller, usb, firewire, etc. So calling the set of drivers for that stuff 'motherboard drivers' is understood. :)

But, I doubt that will have anything to do with it. If there is no power light the first thing I'd check is...wait for it...the power connector to the card reader. Maybe the ghost in the machine unplugged it when you weren't looking. Or maybe the interface cable (ata, sata, what is it?) became loose.

It could also be that the card reader requires a background service to be running and the AVG thingamajob disabled it.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Seriously thou - chances are the aren't any relation b'ween AVG whatchamacallit and your media reader stopped working :D
Right click on your computer -> Manage -> Device Manager

Does anything shows with yellow or read marks next to them? Do you see any unknown devices in the list?
Best idea: send the screenshot of device manager

jinjuku

jinjuku

Is the card reader internal or external? I would check the cable and make sure it is seated properly on the motherboard if internal.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
In Device Manager there's a ! in a yellow field beside USB Mass Storage Device that goes on to tell me that Windows can't load the driver because the device may be corrupt or missing and when I try to update it says I'm current. Code 39. I found it to be file version 5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2108) ... whatever that means. There is an uninstall option. You know? ... I don't know.

When I connect my camera to the T5026 desktop via a USB cable the My Computer screen starts not responding according to my Task Manager and pretty much freezes up my computer. Everything works fine on my laptop so I know it's not my SD card or camera. It is the eMachines !!! The devil's in it. j/k I love my eMachines.

Maybe the ghost in the machine unplugged it when you weren't looking. Or maybe the interface cable (ata, sata, what is it?) became loose.

It could also be that the card reader requires a background service to be running and the AVG thingamajob disabled it.
Is the card reader internal or external? I would check the cable and make sure it is seated properly on the motherboard if internal.
It's seated well at the mobo. I'm going to edit in a pic in a minute that might answer the ATA/SATA question too. I think it's SATA because it doesn't have a ribbon cable (I did a quick search on that).

The pen points to it. The black one on the bottom.

I think the red one is SATA from my hard drive. The cable running to my hard drive from the PSU has a duplicate connector on the cables. There appears to be room for another hard drive and in the pic there seem to be more places to plug in hard drives with those red cords. Never mind about that though ... I got enough @ss aches.

Do you see any unknown devices in the list?
Yeah ... all of them ... honestly, I have no idea what any of that stuff is.

Best idea: send the screenshot of device manager
I don't know how to do the screenshot thing but in a minute I will edit in a real pic from the laptop.

This is giving me some serious agita.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
FIY: To make screenshot of window - press ALT+PrintScreen button.
Open MSPaint and Paste. Save file. enjoy :)

+1 For creativity btw.

Now re: your issue. i wrote a while ago small post about to identify yellow flagged devices here:
http://www.boredsysadmin.com/2009/08/how-to-identify-any-mysterious-pci.html
Also I'd try this: Right click on (!) USB Mass storage -> Uninstall
Right click on the Computer icon on top "YOUR-#$%$#MOMMA@##" :D
and click on "Scan for new hardware" - you have a chance it'll reinstall it with correct and working driver.

ps: Your card reader is USB and the sata cable is the red cable, attached to your hard drive

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
FIY: To make screenshot of window - press ALT+PrintScreen button.
Open MSPaint and Paste. Save file. enjoy :)
Didn't work. You mean 'Alt' and 'PrtScrn' at the same time? It did nothing other than make my cursor blink in and out.

MSPaint ... like Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint ... ??? I don't know. I'm already lost and guessing.

Now re: your issue. i wrote a while ago small post about to identify yellow flagged devices here:
http://www.boredsysadmin.com/2009/08/how-to-identify-any-mysterious-pci.html
Lost and guessing once again. There were two search functions in there and neither responded with anything when I typed in USB\VID_0A48&PID_3239\920311 which is what the Details of that thing coughed up. The site did link me to another site that offered a free driver report after I accepted cookies from it. I assume they will later be happy to accept money from me? I already have Driver Detective but it's probably expired. There wasn't a lot of back and forth once I gave them the 40 bucks ... anyways ... I don't even know what a PCI Device is nor do I know why I'm trying to identify it.

and click on "Scan for new hardware" - you have a chance it'll reinstall it with correct and working driver.
Dude, you are so not hitting my comfort zone. I appreciate the help but I just can't afford a third strike on this. The kind of help I need with this is more involved because I know nothing.

ps: Your card reader is USB and the sata cable is the red cable, attached to your hard drive
I got one right! :eek:

I found this:

Code 39
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:

* A required device driver is missing.
* A required binary file is corrupted.
* There is a problem with the file I/O process.
* A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.

1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
2. Restart your computer.
3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

I just posted it so that I could see it from my other computer. The path of the driver is funny because it's listed as one thing but when I go to track it down it's split in two spots and I'm a little iffy on the hardware vendor. Who's that? Anyway here we go. :eek:

Oh, hot sh!t !!! It worked !!! :D:eek::D

you might open it up and see if you can see some visual damage :(
I got to vacuum it out all nice nice while I was in there. :)

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
You mean 'Alt' and 'PrtScrn' at the same time?
Almost, Press and Hold ALT. Press PrtScrn once.

It did nothing other than make my cursor blink in and out.
It's not supposed to do anything noticeable.

MSPaint ... like Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint
yes, or Start->Run->Mspaint

I assume they will later be happy to accept money from me? I already have Driver Detective but it's probably expired. There wasn't a lot of back and forth once I gave them the 40 bucks ... anyways ... I don't even know what a PCI Device is nor do I know why I'm trying to identify it.
Don't give these thieves a penny !!

I got one right! :eek:

I found this:

Code 39
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Cause

There are several causes of Code 39 errors:

* A required device driver is missing.
* A required binary file is corrupted.
* There is a problem with the file I/O process.
* A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

Oh, hot sh!t !!! It worked !!! :D:eek::D

I got to vacuum it out all nice nice while I was in there. :)
Congrats, but the funny thing is you did exactly what I recommend before :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Congrats, but the funny thing is you did exactly what I recommend before :)
True, I quoted your suggestion before the victory cry to acknowledge that. :)
The thing I found on the net had additional info in case I got stuck which increased my confidence level. I understand that trying to help me can be frustrating because I don't even know how to get in paint for instance. Believe me, it's frustrating for me too.

Okay, once in paint I clicked Edit>Paste>Edit>Copy and ...

No, that's not it. You just don't get how I don't get it.

>File>Save As (make creative title). It goes into My Pictures where the established Photobucket business works.

Hmmm, this really does work ...

Okay, thanks again. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis