Elder Rock Statesmen in Concert

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
This is not political and I figure we could all use some laughs.

I went to see ZZ Top last night in concert. I really enjoyed it even if the mic levels were low making most of the lyrics unable to be heard. Based on what I saw, they did very well given their age and I would have loved to see them live 20 years ago. I don't know how Frank Beard keeps going without needing major shoulder reconstruction. I hope I'm that active when I'm 70 years old (it's closer than I'd like).

The audience was fascinating and a mix of teens up to 80+ year olds. So many walkers and canes present. But it makes sense given 50 years as a band that they would have followers from the beginning. A couple rows down from me was a couple that had to be great-grandparents. And they were still going to concerts! I love that. When I get to their age and there is a band I want to see, I want to be like them and say "Eff Yeah! I'm going!" I will mention it did feel a tad weird to see grandparents and great-grandparents in the audience when Billy is singing about a pearl necklace and not talking about jewelry.

No, the concession stands were not selling Metamucil or Ensure. Standard concert fare of beer, bbq sandwiches, beer, fries, beer, popcorn, beer, etc.

Cheap Trick opening was ok. Yes, Robin Zander's voice isn't what it was when I saw them 32 years ago. They were still going strong though just not what they were. But then, aren't we all?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This is not political and I figure we could all use some laughs.

I went to see ZZ Top last night in concert. I really enjoyed it even if the mic levels were low making most of the lyrics unable to be heard. Based on what I saw, they did very well given their age and I would have loved to see them live 20 years ago. I don't know how Frank Beard keeps going without needing major shoulder reconstruction. I hope I'm that active when I'm 70 years old (it's closer than I'd like).

The audience was fascinating and a mix of teens up to 80+ year olds. So many walkers and canes present. But it makes sense given 50 years as a band that they would have followers from the beginning. A couple rows down from me was a couple that had to be great-grandparents. And they were still going to concerts! I love that. When I get to their age and there is a band I want to see, I want to be like them and say "Eff Yeah! I'm going!" I will mention it did feel a tad weird to see grandparents and great-grandparents in the audience when Billy is singing about a pearl necklace and not talking about jewelry.

No, the concession stands were not selling Metamucil or Ensure. Standard concert fare of beer, bbq sandwiches, beer, fries, beer, popcorn, beer, etc.

Cheap Trick opening was ok. Yes, Robin Zander's voice isn't what it was when I saw them 32 years ago. They were still going strong though just not what they were. But then, aren't we all?
Originally out of Houston, and they tend to be even more popular in TX vs. the rest of the country!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
LOL it still cracks me up these old rock bands are still touring. Never would I have thought back in the 70s/80s they would still do so in 2019! Some serious money some of these guys rack in, too.....what were the ticket prices like?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
LOL it still cracks me up these old rock bands are still touring. Never would I have thought back in the 70s/80s they would still do so in 2019! Some serious money some of these guys rack in, too.....what were the ticket prices like?
They still play fairly often in TX, I think they have played like classic car shows in the last couple years around here too. So, I doubt the tix around here are terribly expensive. It may have been a long time since the last full blown tour though.

Dlck Dale was one of the ones that played sell out shows all the way until his death, and he was one of the pioneers of the electric guitar! Sadly, he had to keep touring up till the end, in order to pay his medical bills. I've seen him live 3 times, and all 3 shows were amazing!

BB King, and John Lee Hooker, when I saw them live, they were down to just sitting in a chair on the stage and playing the heck out of that gueetar!

Buena Vista Social Club! They STILL have Omara Portuondo @88 years old! She has been a professional entertainer for a looooong time!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omara_Portuondo

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
They still play fairly often in TX, I think they have played like classic car shows in the last couple years around here too. So, I doubt the tix around here are terribly expensive. It may have been a long time since the last full blown tour though.

lord helmet Dale was one of the ones that played sell out shows all the way until his death, and he was one of the pioneers of the electric guitar! Sadly, he had to keep touring up till the end, in order to pay his medical bills. I've seen him live 3 times, and all 3 shows were amazing!

BB King, and John Lee Hooker, when I saw them live, they were down to just sitting in a chair on the stage and playing the heck out of that gueetar!
I was just thinking about a Neil Young tour that came thru not long ago and tix were apparently super expensive (altho you could apparently get a significant discount if you joined his site). Some of these guys are recording several hundred million in revenues on a single tour. I haven't seen BB King or John Lee Hooker in a while (altho more recently than my last ZZ Top show which was probably in the 80s)....last time for the latter was at his club in San Francisco. They all deserve to sit down after all these years, tho :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Live performances is how a musician can make money. It’s not the recording contract or album sales! (Even back then!!!) But fill up a venue and sell lots of merchandise... that’s largely theirs.
I remember when the Eagles came back for their “I need money tour”, early-mid 90’s... first time lawn tickets were over a Hundy per! (Did NOT go.) Hell, I saw ZZ Top back on their Recycler Tour (‘91?) and that was around Fitty per; a lot for a high school kid!
Not saying it’s not worth it to a certain extent, but it has gotten a bit ridiculous.

M

Midwesthonky

Audioholic General
Like anything, tickets ranged. The best seats were multiple hundreds. My seats were still very good, about row 18 and to the right were $100 each. The venue seats roughly 10,000 so based on ticket prices and empty seats, I figure the ticket sales were around $750,000 to $950,000 in total revenue. Add in merchandise sales and the take is pretty after subtracting costs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like anything, tickets ranged. The best seats were multiple hundreds. My seats were still very good, about row 18 and to the right were $100 each. The venue seats roughly 10,000 so based on ticket prices and empty seats, I figure the ticket sales were around $750,000 to $950,000 in total revenue. Add in merchandise sales and the take is pretty after subtracting costs.
Yeah that doesn't seem unusual these days, seem to remember there were $500 seats for Neil Young's recent show. I remember mostly like $10-20 ticket range :) Then again I worked for many bands and had backstage passes so often didn't have to pay at all....

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'm a 1980's kid and I remember them. They were featured on Sundays CBS THIS MORNING recently. I think like 3 weeks ago. Found it
Glad I got to see B. B. King back in 2005-6 I think. He sat down through the whole show, but put on a great show with great enthusiasm. He did When love comes to town. The one featured in that U2 movie. Great show glad I got to see him once. I also got to see Stevie Ray Vaughn back up band a couple years later around 2007-8 and they were great. I was a frequent concert goer for years, but not so much in the last five years. The last concert I attended was free Norah Jones she did a mini interview and 45 min set for her new solo album in 2016. First time I ever saw her live, besides my dvds.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis