Elac Uni-Fi Center Channel Help....

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
I'm having issues with my center channel Elac speaker. Here's my current setup:

1678388037814.png

First off the center channel isn't complete blown but given certain voices frequencies, it will noticeably distort. I've always read that especially for the 2-Fronts and Center channel, that you should try to match the speakers based on type, company and frequency/sensitivity. Given that my center channel has been discontinued I'm wonder what the best plan of action would be. Should I just try to match frequency response and speaker dimensions? I would like to get a center speaker with better Sensitivity response then 85db (very low)? This center channel always seemed a bit weak. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Thanks in advance!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If it is a burnt voice coil on the mid(s) you might be able to just replace the drivers. Parts should be available for years after a product is discontinued (if you are handy like that).

Alternatively, it has an aluminum tweeter and mid, so a speaker with similar drivers might still work well enough with them. Especially after running calibration EQ.

You might just ask Elac if there is a current speaker in their lineup they would recommend as well.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
If it is a burnt voice coil on the mid(s) you might be able to just replace the drivers. Parts should be available for years after a product is discontinued (if you are handy like that).

Alternatively, it has an aluminum tweeter and mid, so a speaker with similar drivers might still work well enough with them. Especially after running calibration EQ.

You might just ask Elac if there is a current speaker in their lineup they would recommend as well.
Thanks for the response. I did reach out to Elac customer service this morning asking these similar questions. If I knew the speakers they're using for the mid/tweeter then I would have no problem replacing them. Figured based on Elac's response I'll definitely ask what they'd recommend as a replacement. I'm hoping they could at least steer me in the direction of where to get a replacement speaker. If not, then I might just have to tear into the speaker to get a part number number for the mid/tweeter combo.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Thanks for the response. I did reach out to Elac customer service this morning asking these similar questions. If I knew the speakers they're using for the mid/tweeter then I would have no problem replacing them. Figured based on Elac's response I'll definitely ask what they'd recommend as a replacement. I'm hoping they could at least steer me in the direction of where to get a replacement speaker. If not, then I might just have to tear into the speaker to get a part number number for the mid/tweeter combo.
How do you know it is the speaker? Have you tested that channel with another speaker, and or put that speaker on another channel?

Has the speaker any reason to fail? For instance have you played it exceptionally loud? Speakers seldom fail unless abused. Amps fail much more often, especially receivers.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like the coaxial driver is the one with the issue, seems a more likely one than the other two mids. I wonder if that was a common failure or not?

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
How do you know it is the speaker? Have you tested that channel with another speaker, and or put that speaker on another channel?

Has the speaker any reason to fail? For instance have you played it exceptionally loud? Speakers seldom fail unless abused. Amps fail much more often, especially receivers.
I've played the speaker with 2 different amps and same issue. I think I was playing them too loud with my Marantz SR-7011 and they distorted (heard it first with my receiver). I've recently upgraded to an Outlaw 7000X and the same issue when at high volumes around -10db.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
It sounds like the coaxial driver is the one with the issue, seems a more likely one than the other two mids. I wonder if that was a common failure or not?
Could be? Its very hard to tell since its not fully blown, as to whether or not its the mid/tweeter combo speaker or the drivers. There are 2 coaxial drivers.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
I was able to take the speakers out without causing any scratch marks. But of course nowhere can I find speaker online using the serial number. Plus as stated above its hard to tell if its the mid/tweeter combo speaker or one of the coaxial speakers?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That coaxial driver will be unique to them for sure, they are likely the only source for it, regardless of who built it for them (or they built it in house). "Not fully blown" sounds to me like a damaged voice coil - it will work a low power and certain frequencies, but when you turn it up, it will distort.

It is a 4 Ohm speaker as well, dipping to 3.4, and with a low sensitivity, that can be an oddly tough speaker to drive.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was able to take the speakers out without causing any scratch marks. But of course nowhere can I find speaker online using the serial number. Plus as stated above its hard to tell if its the mid/tweeter combo speaker or one of the coaxial speakers?
Aren't the mid/tweeter driver and the coaxial driver the same thing?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

It is probably the coaxial driver, as that is the one taking the lions share of the power. I suspect a VC in the mid or tweeter has dropped a turn from overheating. That is a small driver and NOT intended for high spl. See if you can get a replacement from Elac.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
Aren't the mid/tweeter driver and the coaxial driver the same thing?
You're probably right. They're
Went looking it actually says they share the voice coil. https://www.elac.com/series/uni-fi/

It looks like it has two mid bass drivers, tho.
Yep that's how they're configured. They sound great but it's tough to drive them with the 4 ohm and low sensitivity 85db. That's why I had to get the Outlaw 7000X amp to power them. My receiver did okay when it was 5.1. But now with the addition of 4 more speakers, I started to get distortion and or crapoy sound quality. That's why I'm wondering especially for the center channel, if it would be a good idea to just go with a different speaker and brand. Just don't have much more than 500.00 to spend.

D

drummertime

Junior Audioholic
It is probably the coaxial driver, as that is the one taking the lions share of the power. I suspect a VC in the mid or tweeter has dropped a turn from overheating. That is a small driver and NOT intended for high spl. See if you can get a replacement from Elac.
Elac said they can repair it for a price. But by the time I send it and find out the cost. I'm wondering if I'm better off going with a better speaker. Match the frequency and get something with better sensitivity. I do have my surround speakers all set to small. So the majority of the low levels should be going through the sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Might be worth the price of a repair to keep a match somewhat with your L/R speakers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Went looking it actually says they share the voice coil. https://www.elac.com/series/uni-fi/

It looks like it has two mid bass drivers, tho.
That is absolutely impossible. The term they use is "within", which it is. The the pole piece of the mid, is bored out and the magnet and VC of the tweeter is within the pole piece.

I know this all too well, as those drivers have the same designer as my co-axial speakers in my center. My SEAS drivers are made under license from KEF and Andrew Jones was the designer of both.

I had a problem with a tweeter from a partially fried VC. I had to replace the tweeter. I then changed the roll off of the tweeter from 12 db. per octave to 18 db. per octave and have not had a problem since.

The outside drivers are bass drivers and NOT bass mids. The crossover to the mid of the coaxial from the bass drivers is 300 Hz. The crossover from the mid cone/VC to the tweeter is 2700 Hz. I would say that using a 4" mid is really pushing your luck, and likely a root cause issue in the driver failure.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That is absolutely impossible. The term they use is "within", which it is. The the pole piece of the mid, is bored out and the magnet and VC of the tweeter is within the pole piece.

I know this all too well, as those drivers have the same designer as my co-axial speakers in my center. My SEAS drivers are made under license from KEF and Andrew Jones was the designer of both.

I had a problem with a tweeter from a partially fried VC. I had to replace the tweeter. I then changed the roll off of the tweeter from 12 db. per octave to 18 db. per octave and have not had a problem since.

The outside drivers are bass drivers and NOT bass mids. The crossover to the mid of the coaxial from the bass drivers is 300 Hz. The crossover from the mid cane/VC to the tweeter is 2700 Hz. I would say that using a 4" mid is really pushing your luck, and likely a root cause issue in the driver failure.
It was the use of the phrase "single voice coil" that caught my eye. Thanks for the correction on the bass drivers.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Elac said they can repair it for a price. But by the time I send it and find out the cost. I'm wondering if I'm better off going with a better speaker. Match the frequency and get something with better sensitivity. I do have my surround speakers all set to small. So the majority of the low levels should be going through the sub.
Elac would know what Coax driver to send you, if you want to buy that mid/tweet Coax ... but also nothing wrong with buying a different center channel from a place that has a easy return policy ... the only one who needs to be happy is you, regardless of some mis-match ... I do own a pair of the Elac UniFi B5 bookshelf speakers, yes they do sound good, but are not easy to drive, and perform and sound best and clean below 90 db spl

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis