Elac Debut Reference DBR-62 vs. BMR Philharmonitor

H

honn

Audiophyte
As both are reviewed very well and reportedly perform well beyond their prices, I wonder how do they fare against each other? A $600 proposition vs. a $1,700 proposition. No doubt both pairs of speakers are very special. Anyone has experience with both?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Totally different speakers. The Tweeter in the Philharmonic is far superior by itself.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As both are reviewed very well and reportedly perform well beyond their prices, I wonder how do they fare against each other? A $600 proposition vs. a $1,700 proposition. No doubt both pairs of speakers are very special. Anyone has experience with both?
I believe @KEW is the local authority on this comparison.

Spoiler alert--BMR all day long.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have spent time critically listening to both.
The DBR-62 is a very good $600 speaker, but it is too laid back for me. I would buy the BMR!
I play in a couple of Big Band Jazz Bands and look for the sound to be as close as possible to my live acoustic experience in these bands.
Some people want a more laid back experience, and if that is you, the DBR's may be a better option.
The biggest difference for me is that the BMR has better presence and a more open sound than the DBR.
If you are uncertain, I might suggest that you take advantage of Crutchfield's easy trial policy where you have 60 days for review and if you don't want to keep them, you pay $10 to get a return UPS label (Crutchfield pays for the return shipping so your end cost is only the $10 for 60 days of trial in your home/room)!
If the DBR sounds veiled to you, go with the BMR!
Note that you may still be able to get in on the BMR road show. I'm not sure if it is booked or not.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Pretty sure Dennis posted he'd closed out the upcoming road show....

H

honn

Audiophyte
I have spent time critically listening to both.
The DBR-62 is a very good $600 speaker, but it is too laid back for me. I would buy the BMR!
I play in a couple of Big Band Jazz Bands and look for the sound to be as close as possible to my live acoustic experience in these bands.
Some people want a more laid back experience, and if that is you, the DBR's may be a better option.
The biggest difference for me is that the BMR has better presence and a more open sound than the DBR.
If you are uncertain, I might suggest that you take advantage of Crutchfield's easy trial policy where you have 60 days for review and if you don't want to keep them, you pay $10 to get a return UPS label (Crutchfield pays for the return shipping so your end cost is only the $10 for 60 days of trial in your home/room)!
If the DBR sounds veiled to you, go with the BMR!
Note that you may still be able to get in on the BMR road show. I'm not sure if it is booked or not.
Hi Kurt, thanks for your insight. I actually have the DBR62 with me along with Dennis' new Mini Monitors. My listening room is only 9x11 feet, so it's considerably a small space, and hence I was hesitant getting the BMRs. I did not find the DBR62 to be veiled, but perhaps laid back is an accurate description. In comparison, I found the Minis' highs as more pronounced, and perhaps in my room they sounded a bit bright than the DBR. My room is untreated, so perhaps this fact contributes to it. Anyhow, I think the BMRs would provide me with the larger and deeper sound than the Minis... but do you think my room size is fine for the BMR? I currently listen in a 5.5 feet equilateral triangle.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Kurt, thanks for your insight. I actually have the DBR62 with me along with Dennis' new Mini Monitors. My listening room is only 9x11 feet, so it's considerably a small space, and hence I was hesitant getting the BMRs. I did not find the DBR62 to be veiled, but perhaps laid back is an accurate description. In comparison, I found the Minis' highs as more pronounced, and perhaps in my room they sounded a bit bright than the DBR. My room is untreated, so perhaps this fact contributes to it. Anyhow, I think the BMRs would provide me with the larger and deeper sound than the Minis... but do you think my room size is fine for the BMR? I currently listen in a 5.5 feet equilateral triangle.
Yes, I think the BMR would do fine at 5.5 ft!
If you are not currently running a subwoofer, the BMR's would definitely be a great step up for better bass. As I recall, the DBR was no slouch for bass and I think you can roughly figure on the highs of the minis and the lows of the DBR from the BMR's. Of course the added dispersion of the BMR will differentiate it from the mini, but I am talking in rough terms.
If the mini's are too bright for your taste, I suspect the BMR would be as well. I have not heard the mini's but I do know that Dennis is very consistent in the sound he obtains from his designs. So treatments or otherwise adding some curtains/paintings,etc would be useful if you intend to play at louder levels.
Most important is making sure there is carpet on the floor at the reflection points!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis