Elac debut 2.0 (b6.2) speakers (music or movies?)

D

dmdbur

Audiophyte
Are these speakers (Elac b6.2) better for music, or they just as good for home theater/movies? Seems like a lot of reviews online point to these being a "music" speaker, and not a lot of talk about using these for home theater. One video demoed these and they sounded laid back/soft/muted a bit, and not really "forward sounding" speakers. Doesn't seem like these will give you that "close to commercial cinema sound."

If anyone is using these for home theater any feedback is appreciated. Also would be helpful to know how well the matching center (c6.2) and surrounds (ow4.2) work for home theater.

thanks

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
If they perform well for music, they will be fine for DD movies! What Elac speakers you have selected, will be just fine. ENJOY! IMO.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Anyone using the Elac Sensible Speaker cables? Seem like some well-made inexpensive cables.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
14 or 16 ga, 2 conduct, 99% copper wire will do the same thing. 16 ga is good up to 50 foot runs, Knock yourself out if you want to buy, "Snake Oil," cables.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I wouldn't use 16 ga for a 50 ft run with 4 ohm speakers. I'm using the Elac 14 ga 10-foot runs. They are priced similarly to blue jean cables (which I also own but the bananas won't fit my speaker terminations) so these are ok for me. And I really like the way they look so I don't mind spending around $100 to run 2 speakers.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
And no, I don't hear any difference between these and my C2G velocity cables that I was using but these are much more flexible.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to the music/movies thing....depends on use to an extent. I wouldn't expect the Elacs to be as dynamic or as capable as some, but if you aren't looking to push it doubt it would matter much.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Good grief what is sensible about those things?
I bought them because they are much thinner and more flexible than my Cables2go velocity which are supposed to be 12 gage but actually seem more like 14 judging from their connecting ends. Anyway they don't sound any different and they are much nicer looking in my living room. So they make "sense" to me. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I bought them because they are much thinner and more flexible than my Cables2go velocity which are supposed to be 12 gage but actually seem more like 14 judging from their connecting ends. Anyway they don't sound any different and they are much nicer looking in my living room. So they make "sense" to me. :)
Can't see spending that much per foot for speaker cable. Buying a cable and not being sure about what gauge it is? Why would it sound different if they're suitable cables?

ps If more flexible cable is needed, look for a higher strand count.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Like I said I bought the Elac speaker cables which are 14 gauge just for convenience and looks. I am not claiming to hear any difference in sound between any of my speaker cables. That said I paid a little more (not much more) than my Blue Jeans which I can't use. Anyway, sometimes it's worth a little more for the aesthetics. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Like I said I bought the Elac speaker cables which are 14 gauge just for convenience and looks. I am not claiming to hear any difference in sound between any of my speaker cables. That said I paid a little more (not much more) than my Blue Jeans which I can't use. Anyway, sometimes it's worth a little more for the aesthetics. :)
Sorry, just couldn't spend that much on speaker cable no matter what it looks like, none of them are gaze-worthy :) That's just a ridiculous cost per foot....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
To each his own. The good news is I have some cables that I can sell on ebay if I ever get motivated. :)
So, do you think that Blue Jeans Canare cable is also overpriced? Just curious as they cost only a little less than the Elacs.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
To each his own. The good news is I have some cables that I can sell on ebay if I ever get motivated. :)
So, do you think that Blue Jeans Canare cable is also overpriced? Just curious as they cost only a little less than the Elacs.
Yeah I think BJC is also overpriced, much rather make my own. I can customize lengths that way, too....I have never bought a pre-made speaker cable. My grandfather showed me early on how simple speaker cables are (he was an EE and pro sound installation guy). Then for me aesthetics aren't even a factor, I have most cables/interconnects simply out of sight and out of mind....

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah I think BJC is also overpriced, much rather make my own. I can customize lengths that way, too....I have never bought a pre-made speaker cable. My grandfather showed me early on how simple speaker cables are (he was an EE and pro sound installation guy). Then for me aesthetics aren't even a factor, I have most cables/interconnects simply out of sight and out of mind....
Cool I tried to make some cables back in the day but nowadays I just rather buy them pre terminated. So, do you make your own interconnects too?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Cool I tried to make some cables back in the day but nowadays I just rather buy them pre terminated. So, do you make your own interconnects too?
There's not much to making a cable, especially if you don't add connectors and just use bare wire ends :) Tightening the set screws on some banana plugs or a speak-on is very easy to do. You can solder if you prefer but really no need. You can always pretty-up basic speaker cable/lamp cord with a tech flex covering of something that appeals to your eye. I have so many rca cables accumulated over the years haven't needed to, altho I have made some unbalanced to balanced cables (rca to xlr). I keep a small stock of speaker wire and some stock for interconnects on hand and a few different connectors as needed. I wouldn't try to make an optical or hdmi cable :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Wow I haven't used bare wire ends since the 80's and that was with lamp cord. But it was cheap, and I never had any problem with it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Wow I haven't used bare wire ends since the 80's and that was with lamp cord. But it was cheap, and I never had any problem with it.
It still is quite good as long as you have a decent terminal for the bare wire to attach to and the lamp cord is of sufficient gauge for your use....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis