Egg crate light panels for diffusion?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
That's not going to have much effect on anything. If you compare that to any other type of diffuser (Skyline, slat, step, fractal, or combo ab-fuser) you will see the difference. Effectively, that texture is too fine to have any impact on any but perhaps the absolute highest frequencies (20,000Hz is still 2/3" long).

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
Interesting. DIY absorbtion, easy. 2D diffusion, easy. 3D diffusion, pain in the rear.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Have you checked out other diy solutions? Lots of stuff out there on building diffusers, absorbers, etc. Or buy pro advice....

ps I recently saw a video from a guy who had a bunch of egg crate foam stapled in the corner he was shooting....immediate disconnect.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of people I talk to mention just using standard decorations and knick-knacks to act as diffusion around the room... anything that breaks up direct waves... Many suggest bookshelves with all sorts of different sized books so you have no flat or even surface.
By the way, you cannot have 2-dimensional diffusion. :) At least not that I've seen in my studies.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Agree a well furnished room takes care of much of it....

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
The 2D is concrete forms cut in half on the walls. I got a big 45 angled slopped ceiling that goes behind my seated position to a couple feet above the ground. I suspended some absorption, but felt a little diffusion would also help scatter the reflections. Not a fan of building a heavy jenga set over me. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Huh?
Are you talking sonotubes cut in half lengthwise? You’ll need to be more precise in your description.
For reference, a wall is 2-dimensional in that as a boundary, it has height and width, but no depth (apparent from within the room). If you line an entire wall with step diffusers, for example, that wall then becomes 3-dimensional as it has height, width, and now depth.
If you can show me what you are talking about or describe it better, I’ll gladly update my files! :D

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I think that he means “polycylindrical” diffusion . But Sonotube concrete forms are way too small.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Anyone use something like this for sound diffusion? It's plastic, light weight and thinking it might be good to hang close to a sloped ceiling application that's pretty inexpensive.

If it does anything, it will be at high frequencies, which isn't where most problems for AV exist. Not that high end reflection isn't a problem, but our ears are more sensitive in the midrange.

Measure the room's response and treat it accordingly.

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
Yes, I'm referring to "polycylindrical” diffusion as 2D. They flank absorption panels. Concrete forms come in all sorts of sizes from too small to too big.

I don't care about fiberglass falling on my head. But I do care about the weight an install complexity of every solid wood DIY quadratic diffuser I've seen. So I'm looking for something more sensible and inexpensive.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Huh?
Are you talking sonotubes cut in half lengthwise? You’ll need to be more precise in your description.
For reference, a wall is 2-dimensional in that as a boundary, it has height and width, but no depth (apparent from within the room). If you line an entire wall with step diffusers, for example, that wall then becomes 3-dimensional as it has height, width, and now depth.
If you can show me what you are talking about or describe it better, I’ll gladly update my files! :D
You guys got me lost down a rabbit hole. I'm still in it, just poked my head up to share a pretty cool build thread I found on the Klipsch forums.

Attachments

W

Wabbit

Junior Audioholic
Pretty cool. I saw Gene used pvc architectural reliefs in one of his rooms. I'd like to hear if it makes an audible difference for him. There's a balance between effective, ugly and art. My diffusers otherwise might look like this. ;)

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis