Effect of strand quantity in speaker cable?

G

Grubert

Audioholic Intern
I've seen several retailers say a good speaker cable should consist of many thin threads, instead of fewer and thicker ones.

Cable gauge being the same, does one of the following builds have any real-world advantage (apart from physical flexibility)?

Thanks.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
The price that the vendor can charge for the cable?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Grubert said:
I've seen several retailers say a good speaker cable should consist of many thin threads, instead of fewer and thicker ones.

Cable gauge being the same, does one of the following builds have any real-world advantage (apart from physical flexibility)?

Thanks.

ZERO. But that doesn't stop the marketeers from selling hype, bs and voodoo, or audiophiles falling for them :D

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Boy,isnt that the truth but some will buy it,both ways.

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
at least to my hands, it feels like the finer wire cable is easier to cut. I havent tried to prove it, but I think there might be better contact with crimp connectors as well...if that makes any difference, audible or otherwise, I really don't know.

I use the stuff anyways since at least to me, it's easier to work with.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mustang_steve said:
at least to my hands, it feels like the finer wire cable is easier to cut. I havent tried to prove it, but I think there might be better contact with crimp connectors as well...if that makes any difference, audible or otherwise, I really don't know.

I use the stuff anyways since at least to me, it's easier to work with.

Those are all good reason for use. :D

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
i think i'm wrong on this....but if you bundle a bunch of finer copper strands together for say a 10ga cord, would there be more copper in that cable than a 10 ga heavier stranded cord due to the finer wire strands fitting in gaps that would have been left if a heavier gague was used?

I can attribute this to my lack of proper caffeination...i'm out of coffee :(

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

mustang_steve said:
i think i'm wrong on this....but if you bundle a bunch of finer copper strands together for say a 10ga cord, would there be more copper in that cable than a 10 ga heavier stranded cord due to the finer wire strands fitting in gaps that would have been left if a heavier gague was used?

I can attribute this to my lack of proper caffeination...i'm out of coffee :(

Well, in theory it might be a fraction of a ga different unless they calculate the area, the number of strands to make up the area needed for 10ga. So, if you need a fractional strand, not available, you add one more and you are over ;) They are not very exact in giving you an exact area that is suppoed to be 10ga, in your example.

J

jneutron

Senior Audioholic
mustang_steve said:
You are correct....you were indeed wrong on this.. :confused:

I am sorry, I can't find the belden link anymore for the info..I have it printed right in front of me..

the link at the bottom of the page is:
http://www.belden.com/products/Catalog/help/TechAWGStranded.htm.

But, it doesn't work I can't find it again..oh well

Anyhoo, your example..#10 AWG. They list three types.

105/30...105 wires of #30..

65/28...65 wires of #28

37/26...37 wires of #26..

All, 10380 circular mils..all 31.58 lbs per thousand feet, all 1.08 ohms/1000 feet.

The higher strandcount is more flexible, but they all seem to have the exact same amount of copper, by weight, by resistance, and by cross section.

Cheers, John

M

mustang_steve

Senior Audioholic
haha, if I aim to fail and I succeed at this goal...which have I done? :p

Thanks for clarifying that. Well off to get my slacker butt ready for work...laters!

G

Grubert

Audioholic Intern
Thanks guys.

Now one word of caution: if you've got a Yamaha receiver and want to use the Presence/Zone2 speaker outs, use 14ga or very flexible cable. The Belden 5000UE I was using is very stiff, which made insertion a rather painful effort. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis