Effect of DAC performance on Audyssey?

L

Lattiboy

Audioholic Intern
My problem is being stuck between the absolute charlatans that sell $10,000 cables and the guys who say that anything except lab clinical perfection is a war crime.

It’s really kind of exhausting....

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Emotiva collaborated with Amir and ended up fixing the issue with a firmware upgrade....a great outcome for current and future Emotiva owners! In other words, the Emotiva engineering was fine...it seemed be a bug that Amir/ASR unveiled. Who knows how long, or if ever, this would have been fixed if Amir didn't discover it.

Denon engineers have been in recent discussions with Amir regarding the 4700H. In the next couple of weeks, Denon will post something on their Denon blog. IF the issue can fixed via firmware, that'd be another great outcome. If it can't be fixed via firmware, perhaps future models will have the fix.

Amir will also get a 3700H to test soon...that will provide a good comparison of 3700H vs 3600H, and 4700H vs 3700H.

I'm not an EE, I don't know or quote things like dac model numbers, transistors, etc. I leave that to people like Peng or bigguyca on AVS LOL!
So....then the Emo prepro was actually an excellently engineered HARDWARE but the measurements initially showed that it was a poorly engineered HARDWARE?

Was it an excellently engineered hardware, but the software wasn't as favorable to the measurements ?

IOW, these measurements reflect more of the software than the hardware since the hardware was exactly the same before and after. Only the software was changed.

Thus, the measurements went from “poor” to the “best” purely because of the update in software.

I would argue that all of these measurements on this ASR website potentially could go from “poor” to “best” with some sort of software update. Thus, the measurements don’t truly prove that the HARDWARE is at fault.

All of these “unrecommended” components could have excellent quality hardware just like the Emotiva. They could even be better quality. But the software might not be as favorable in terms of measurements.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well I never made an account over there.

I think they would argue that audible or not, the comments are based on equipment claiming to be sota and it doesn't measure like sota. It's kind of a valid argument, imo.

Tho I am really starting to see the effect this is having on Joe regular when he visits and reads about sad and noisy performance without understanding that noise is still well below the threshold of audibility.
I think it’s a total distraction and disservice to claim that noise of 90dB or THD+N 0.003% is “low standard”, especially when it only takes a software update (not hardware update) to turn a poor quality component into the best quality component.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it’s a total distraction and disservice to claim that SINAID 90dB or THD+N 0.003% is “low standard”, especially when it only takes a software update (not hardware update) to turn a poor quality component into the best quality component.
In my mind anything 90 or above should be considered very good.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
In my mind anything 90 or above should be considered very good.
That's the correct message people take home when they come to Audioholics.

But when they go to ASR, the message is "that's crap, don't buy it".

In what universe is the Marantz AV8805 crap? But that is the message from ASR - unless you read the fine print, which most people don’t.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis