Edifier S760D speakers problem!

S

speakerrookie101

Audiophyte
Some time ago I bought S760D speakers, as soon as I got them connected to my pc and turned them on(sound blaster soundcard) I heard hissing noise. I used optical cable, also tried RCA cables, exactly the same story. So I tried changing some settings what were given to me in soundblaster software, but that did not change anything. Also I tried separating all the cables coming from subwoofer in my case to see if that would solve the problem. Than tried moving them to another power outlet(tried 3 diffrent ones huh). What else I tried hmm, well I hooked them up to my samsung TV with optical cable and same hissing sound. I know that slight hissing from some speakers might be normal, but I can hear hissing from aprx. 3 meters(6.5 feet) away easily and it really makes things bad as I am using them as desktop speakers. So I sent them off to Edifier warranty and after TWO months, I got them back and they said nothing was wrong with them. So I am really confused as how come they did not hear the hissing as I clearly stated in the letter I sent them before that the reason I send them is the hissing.
Hissing itself is constant sound, does not matter how loud i listen, still the same level of hissing, so basically it does not go up with volume. Should I send to another warranty place in other country maybe, also if somebody has already Edifier S530, s760 or something similar shed some light if thats normal, because when I have them on and I do not listen to them it drives me grazy ;/, or is there a way to fix this myself, altough I have tried many softwares with it.
Also sorry for my english, not native speaker :D and thanks in advance!

S

speakerrookie101

Audiophyte
Also if any other details are needed regarding the speakers I am happy to answer :D

R

RunnerBG

Audiophyte
I have a similar problem. The same hiss from the loud speakers on the satellites. I bought the system in December 2018 and I didnt have the time to return them for the seller to check the problem. I month ago the subwoofer along with one of the satellites burned (while no music was played on them) and I had to return them. The seller change the entire subwoofer and all of the satellites - basically a brand new system, but the problem is still there. The seller told me that this hiss is normal!!! I dont know how this can be normal when you can clearly hear it from a meter away... So this is not a isolated case. I guess this is what happens when you buy chinese brands even at a premium price. Never gonna make the same mistake again!

S

speakerrookie101

Audiophyte
Well, edifier sbould be decent company, and rn my speakers are still sitting here, took them too to edifier and they said nth was wrong, i dont think they even bothered to check the speakers. If I have time i might dig into thr subwoofer where amplifier is located and change it. Btw you are little late with response hehe.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Next chapter in a common story here.

The problem is that the electronics in those active speakers has a very poor signal to noise ratio.

It is absolutely impossible to make anything of any quality with all that facility at the selling price of those. To do what is on offer decently is going to get to several thousand dollars.

So once again we have to emphasize that junk purchases are the most expensive you ever make. You might as well have just burned that money. In fact you would be further ahead, as now you have a disposal problem.

R

RunnerBG

Audiophyte
I know its an old thread but this is something that was bothering me from the time I got them. I even wrote to Edifier with recordings of the hiss and some other forums, including some messages to customers who bought the system from Amazon. I thought that this is just a bad luck with the current unit I got but now (and more so after the replacement I got) I dont think that there is even one unit without that hiss. I also have Edifier S350DB and R2730DB but neither of them got such hiss.

I demonstrate the problem to an audio technician but he told me that this will be too much of a work to worth it. If you came up with an idea, I will be thankful!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You gotta do your homework with audio purchases. You absolutely get what you pay for. Looks like you might want to simply start over. I don't know a lot about the powered speaker market but plenty of guys here do. Give us a budget and we can let you know if it's realistic for your goals.

R

RunnerBG

Audiophyte
Its hard to do the homework when everything is online in mine country and you dont have a way to hear it. For a thousand dollars one will expect that it should be OK-ish system (and it is aside from that irritating hiss). I am curious what the experts can suggest at the price point of around 1000$ for AIO 5.1 system. If I wanted to spend 3000+, there are a lot of good choices out there that can be heard but the price difference is not a small fact to neglect, and I cant justify spending that much for playing games.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Its hard to do the homework when everything is online in mine country and you dont have a way to hear it. For a thousand dollars one will expect that it should be OK-ish system (and it is aside from that irritating hiss). I am curious what the experts can suggest at the price point of around 1000$ for AIO 5.1 system. If I wanted to spend 3000+, there are a lot of good choices out there that can be heard but the price difference is not a small fact to neglect, and I cant justify spending that much for playing games.
Most of us have pieced our systems together over time and as a rule, avoid HTIB's (all in one home theater in a box) like those.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I know its an old thread but this is something that was bothering me from the time I got them. I even wrote to Edifier with recordings of the hiss and some other forums, including some messages to customers who bought the system from Amazon. I thought that this is just a bad luck with the current unit I got but now (and more so after the replacement I got) I dont think that there is even one unit without that hiss. I also have Edifier S350DB and R2730DB but neither of them got such hiss.

I demonstrate the problem to an audio technician but he told me that this will be too much of a work to worth it. If you came up with an idea, I will be thankful!
The technician is correct. There is no service manual for those units. Also you really can not repair modern boards, because of robotic assemble.

My guess is that this is a design fault, most likely getting too much gain out of one stage to save money. So the solution would almost certainly be a total redesign and rebuild.

Lastly, I don't think it is reasonable to expect that much functionality for under $1000.00 I would get a receiver and a pair of speakers and then add the other speakers and sub as funds permit.

The basic fact is the you can not will the ends without the means.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
...and I cant justify spending that much for playing games.
If it is for playing games, why not just get a good headset (or 3 or 4, if you have gatherings). $1000 will go a long way for headsets!

R

RunnerBG

Audiophyte
I have DT 990 Pro and Arctis Pro Wireless for gaming and music, but I dont want to wear headphones all the time. That is why I went for "decent" 5.1 system with a bit more base than Logitech Z906 and with a 2-way satellites. All the reviews I read and watched were positive and not even once this hiss was mentioned.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
If nothing is "technically" wrong with them and it's just bad design, your best bet is to cut your losses, sell them, and invest in something else (different brand, obviously).

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I have DT 990 Pro and Arctis Pro Wireless for gaming and music, but I dont want to wear headphones all the time. That is why I went for "decent" 5.1 system with a bit more base than Logitech Z906 and with a 2-way satellites. All the reviews I read and watched were positive and not even once this hiss was mentioned.
Take no notice of the good reviews, just the bad ones in future. If there are no bad reviews it is a hoax. You have to be very careful trusting consumer reviews. An awful lot are written by company shills.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One thing I learned early on is, you can find great reviews on almost every audio product in existence. It's easy to get caught up in good reviews. It's insidious, but it's a part of the audio world. Folks get paid to write good reviews, especially on purchase sites.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis