Edifier S2.1D Computer Speaker Review!

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Edifier S2.1D Review

Reviewer: SheepStar
Manufacturer: Edifier Enterprises (www.edifier.ca)
Model: S2.1D
MSRP: $110 CAD (Can be found on sale for $75 periodically).

Pros:
-2 way Satellite speakers with MDF enclosures (subwoofer is also MDF).
-Subwoofer can be laid flat or left standing (feet only for laying flat).
-Comes with 4 foot Optical cable, as well as stereo analogue – 3mm cable.
-Wired Remote.
-Non-gaudy appearance.
-Satellite speakers use real speaker wire that can be changed out for a longer run.
-2 Digital inputs (1 Optical, 1 Coax).
-Remote has many options (including some not normally found on 2.1 speakers).
-Satellite speakers and subwoofer feature removable grills.
-Decent bass output for 6.5inch subwoofer.
-Satellite speakers have a HUGE soundstage, and sound closer to small bookshelf speakers, rather then computer satellite speakers.
-Subwoofer makes a great foot rest.

Cons:
-No Headphone jack on remote.
-Port Noise on louder, lower frequencies(subwoofer).
-Satellite speakers are rather large.
-Satellite speakers many not be inline with your ears (only adjustment is 2 spikes).
-Subwoofer doesn’t beach whales when it plays.

Introduction:

Edifier is a Canadian based company, with its products produced in China (most likely). Like many companies these days, this business model is practical for the consumer as it saves money. Downside is the quality CAN be worse then the good ole home grown products. These speakers enter an already crowded market for computer speakers, so they need to stand out, and have features not found on the competition.

Well, they’ve definitely done their homework as far as having features; 3 different inputs (Analog, as well as 2 digital inputs), wired remote with Balance, Loudness, Treble, LFE, and Volume, as well as 2 driver satellite speakers with MDF enclosures. Never have I seen computer speakers with MDF enclosures for the satellites. On top of that, they connect the satellites with real stranded speaker wire. Now you’ll never have to worry if the wire is long enough, just grab some wire from your collection (yes, you have one) and supplement it with the original. No splicing, no mess. This is quite a feature list for a 2.1 speaker system retailing for only $110. With a 6.5inch powered subwoofer receiving 40WMRS, and each satellite getting 20WRMS, I should be in for a nice loud treat.

Specifications:

• Power Output:
Satellite Speaker: RMS 20Wx2(@ fo=1kHz, 10% THD, 2 channels loaded )
Woofer: RMS 40W (@ fo=60Hz, 10% THD, single channel loaded )
• THD+N (Amplifier): <=0.5% (satellite, @ PO=3W )
• Signal-to-Noise Rate (Amplifier): >=85dB(A Weighted)
• Input Impedance: 22K Ohms
• Frequency Response: 36-20k Hz
• Input Port: stereo RCA Line-in
• Controller: Volume, Super Bass, Treble, Loudness, Balance
• Woofer unit Impedance: 8 Ohms
• Woofer driver unit: 6.5 inch(D166mm), magnetically shielded
• Satellite Speaker unit Impedance: 4 Ohms
• Satellite driver unit: 3 inch (D90mm) paper cone, magnetically shielded, 3/4 inch cloth dome tweeter, magnetically shielded
• Dimensions: Subwoofer: 350(W) x 190(H) x 292(D)mm
Satellite Speaker: 105(W) x 192(H) x 100(D)mm
• Gross Weight: about 11Kg
• Power Requirement:
220V-240V ~ , 50/60Hz (for Model European/China/Korea/South America, etc.)
100V-120V ~, 50/60Hz (for Model USA/Canada/Japan )
MAX Power Consumption: 100W

Build Quality and Packaging:

The set comes packed in a cardboard box, with hard Styrofoam to hold the speakers and subwoofer in place. The other wiring and accessories are stored in the gaps between the speakers.

The speakers themselves are built very well. The satellites are MDF, and given their size, require no bracing. The subwoofer is also constructed out of MDF and has 2 chambers. One houses the driver and amp which then are ported to another chamber. This chamber finally ports to the listening room. One benefit of this design is the wall between the chambers acts as a brace. The satellites are sealed. One thing I would like to see changed is the non-flush mounted drivers. The grills use plaster frames and an acoustically transparent cloth to cover them with plastic push pins to hold it in place. Removing them isn’t easy, and I caution you before reefing on it as it could snap. Make sure you pull slowly and evenly.

The Remote is nothing too fancy to look at, but functions well, and has many features that would not normally be included with a 2.1 system. There is adjustments for Balance, Loudness, Treble, Bass (Referred to as LFE), and of course volume. There are only two controls on the remote, the volume knob, which adjusts the level for every function, and a FUN/POWER button which scrolls through the functions and turns the unit on and off when held down. After you are done selecting a function, the remote will default back to the volume function.

Setup:

When I first set these up, I went for the digital input (Coax). Analogue? Phhft, this is the 21st century. Well, the 21st century still has its kinks, and for some reason I was getting popping sounds from the speakers (could be the internal DAC). Switching to the Analogue cable fixed the problem.

Each satellite speaker is placed on each side of the monitor, and toed in slightly. The subwoofer is lying down, in my foot area under my desk, with the port 6 inches from the back wall. The bass level is just under half, and the treble setting is half. Balance is at center, and the loudness off. Speaking of loudness, this appears to be quite a useless feature. When activated (only on/off) it boosts the subwoofer, and completely drowns out the treble. If that’s your sound, great, but I will leave it off for the review.

SheepStar

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Part 2!

Music Evaluation:

Music is by far the main use a 2.1 system is going to see. On paper this system has many advantages over similarly priced 2.1 systems out there, but will paper be the only place this system performs?
Using some of my favorite music tests, as well as my favorite music, I began my evaluation. One of the first things I noticed is the vocals. They’re directly centered between the speakers (and monitor). This many not seem THAT important for music, but when gaming, you want important sounds to be that clear. Selecting track 4 “10,000 days” of the Tool album 10,000 days, I saw just how serious these speakers were. The thunder that rings in the background sounded like it was all around me with impressive dynamics as well as low end. Now, the subwoofer isn’t a bottom digger, but it can muster up some impressive output in the mid bass range and really give you a tactile sensation.

Switching gears I threw on some House music. Using Pendulums “Hold Your Color” CD, I began to see the limits of the subwoofer. Track 2 “Slam” has some very low bass that “slams” through the introduction. The Edifier subwoofer did its best, and I could feel it in my feet resting atop the unit, but I couldn’t hear the low end like I have before. In Edifiers defense, this is tall order for a 6.5inch subwoofer. I flipped to track 9 “Out Here” (my favorite track on the album) and again was impressed with the satellites performance. They convey treble with such a smooth, airy character that never becomes fatiguing. The midrange is also right there with the treble, and never becomes over bearing. I must stress though, that having these speakers at ear lever is key. Just from moving around in my computer chair (out of ear lever) I could hear a difference. The treble becomes muted, almost like the speaker is under water. If you plan on using these speakers, make sure you have a stand or object they can be placed on to be at the correct height. The satellites feature a key-hole in the back for wall mounting, which might be the only way for some users to get the desired height.

And now for my Favorite music (well, at the moment), the new Poison The Well album “Versions”. This is the bands 4th album, and it’s been almost 4 years since they last released a record (well, this album isn’t quite out yet [comes out April 3rd]). It has a very reverb/echo vibe with other weird sounds I can’t quite wrap my mouth around. It also doesn’t sound like a high quality download (says 192, but it seems more 160). Through the music part of the review, I keep finding myself turning up the volume. So when no one was home, I cranked these bad boys to 75% to see how they took it. To be honest, I’m damn impressed. They just sound better louder; they come alive with extra juice and still hold there form. On track 2 “Breathing’s for the Birds” the verse is just fantastic (the song is fantastic too). The bass is fairly controlled, but seems to have a bit of a mid-bass hump in the 70Hz region. After running some test tones (for a couple seconds, not minutes) I found the usable bass response to be around 40Hz, give to take a few for placement, room etc. It isn’t far off form spec so I won’t grill them.

Overall, I’m impressed. I listen to music all the time at the computer, and I’m at the computer a lot. I don’t want speakers that hurt my ears, or speakers that can’t support my feet. The S2.1D met the requirements, and then some.

Game Evaluation:

For the Game evaluation, I will be using 2 different games; Need For Speed Carbon, and Counter strike Source. I chose these games because they incorporate environments where having good sound will aid you in your progress. If you’ve played Counter Strike you know exactly what I mean, having good sound is like a wall hack, and you may get banned because of its advantages.

After a couple days of spirited Counter Strike playback (dishing out punishment) I found these speakers to be satisfactory. Nothing special, but not horrible either. They replicate the sounds with life-like realism, but they can’t guide you like a good pair of headphones can. To be fair though, not many speakers can.

Next is Need for Speed. This game isn’t all that intense as far as moving sounds, but the realism factor is still there. All the motors and screeching tires sounded fantastic. My Nissan Skyline’s turbo’s and blow of valve sounded loud and clear, as I raced away from cops. Blowing up gas stations was a blast, as the subwoofer had good tactile slam.

Overall my gaming experience was decent. If I’m playing a game like NFS: Carbon, Most Wanted, or Unreal Tournament 2004, I can live with these. Counter Strike Source and Fear Combat require headphones.

Conclusion:

After a week of so with these speakers (I work fast) I am very impressed. I’ve owned and previewed many computer speakers in the past, but none of them could muster the sound quality these have. What the subwoofer lacks in extension and output, it makes up for in control. Rock sounded great, and that’s mainly what I listen to. I recommend these speakers for a listen, especially considering their price.

Immediate Competition:

-Logitech Z-2300 $145
-Creative I-Trigue $105
-Klipsch Promedia 2.1 $199

Ratings: (* = 1 star)

These ratings pertain to the performance of the unit relative to its cost. A 4 star rating on a 300 dollar unit will not be the same as a 4 star rating on a 1000 dollar unit.

***** = Outstanding
**** = Above average
*** = Average
** = Below Average
* = Very Poor

Features: *****
Build Quality: ****1/2
Appearance: ***1/2
Controls/Remote: ****
Satellite Performance (Music): ****1/2
Satellite Performance (Game): ***1/2
Subwoofer Performance (Music): ****
Subwoofer Performance (Game): ***
Value: ****1/2
Overall: ****1/2

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
digital inputs on a 100 dollar speaker system is pretty cool!
did you try the optical inputs?

put the sub close to a corner and maybe you won't even need an SVS :) kidding of course.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
digital inputs on a 100 dollar speaker system is pretty cool!
did you try the optical inputs?

put the sub close to a corner and maybe you won't even need an SVS :) kidding of course.
I only have a coaxial output on my Computer. Needless to say, there was popping.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Ha, ha, nice review sheep. That semi-reminds of me of my $25 Altec Lansing speakers. I like the satelites, but the subwoofer lacks something.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis