eBay sniping at its best

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
If you are the seller, what is your problem? If the "sniper" had not bid, you would have gotten less. Would that make you happier, to get less?
Who said I have a problem? :confused:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Who said I have a problem? :confused:
Sorry for any misunderstanding; it just seemed that you were complaining about sniping, because you said that you thought eBay should change its policies to deal with sniping.

darien87

darien87

Audioholic Spartan
That's me, exactly!;) It doesn't make me mad so much that someone is willing to pay more for an item than I am, but how they go about doing it. Just when you think you are really getting a deal, some creep comes in at the last second and outbids you.
I don't bid on many items early because I know that the bidding only begins in the waning moments. I watch, then if I want something, see where the bidding goes. If it goes out of sight near the end, there is no use in me even bidding. I go there for two reasons; to get something I can't find anywhere else or to find bargains.
In the case of the former, I often place my bid earlier for what I'm willing to pay or email the seller to see if they have a buy it now price in mind to end the auction early if they don't have one listed.
As a seller, sniping also kinda sucks, because your item sits there for days with a bunch of people watching, but not bidding, so you start getting worried that it's not going to sell.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
Sorry for any misunderstanding; it just seemed that you were complaining about sniping, because you said that you thought eBay should change its policies to deal with sniping.
I'm not complaining, I just think there's a system that could eliminate it from happening.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The problem with that system is that buyers wouldn't like it.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
I only use buy it now buttons. You know that it's new stuff (most of the time) and that you won't be outbidded. Still can save a bunch of money on certain things that way.

E

EJ1

Audioholic Chief
I only use buy it now buttons. You know that it's new stuff (most of the time) and that you won't be outbidded. Still can save a bunch of money on certain things that way.
I hate when I see people bid $1 just to ruin the "Buy It Now" option for the seller. I'm pretty sure you pay extra fees to have that option too.

aberkowitz

aberkowitz

Audioholic Field Marshall
I hate when I see people bid $1 just to ruin the "Buy It Now" option for the seller. I'm pretty sure you pay extra fees to have that option too.
That's why I never start an auction at $1. I start an auction close to the buy it now price (w/in 25%). Most of the time people end up playing the BIN price and everybody is happy. When they don't, a bidding war normally ensues and I win in the end. I don't understand the reasoning behind starting an auction at $1- unless you're actually willing to sell an item for that low of a price, I think it's just a waste of time.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
That's why I never start an auction at $1. I start an auction close to the buy it now price (w/in 25%). Most of the time people end up playing the BIN price and everybody is happy. When they don't, a bidding war normally ensues and I win in the end. I don't understand the reasoning behind starting an auction at $1- unless you're actually willing to sell an item for that low of a price, I think it's just a waste of time.
I think some start it so low because the eBay fees are lower that way. But I agree, it is a bad idea if one wants to make sure one gets more than $1 for whatever it is.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I went from starting at a high price to starting at a low - with excellent results.

Getting people involved in the bidding early really helps at the end.

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
I only do this because I hate bid wars. Sometimes people keep bidding and bidding just to win the auction, even if the bidding get higher than the actual market price of the item. Now, this is crazy! I've seen many items being won with prices much higher than what I see in the streets and online.
Exactly. I've seen auctions where people will keep bidding higher, even when there is a "buy it now" price for the exact same merchandise which is cheaper.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis