S

St. Louis Dave

Audiophyte
I've been a lurker for a while, but now have a chance to ask an easy question I couldn't find the answer for when I searched the forums.

I just bought a Sony HD TV(KDF55E2000) in which I want to use the HDMI interface with my dish. My current system is run through an ANTIQUE Denon AVR-2500 with, yes it's true.....Pro Logic. I use my current TV as a monitor and switch everything through the Denon using the basic connections. (No S Video)

How do I want to hook up the new system? My inital thought is.......

Satellite to HDTV direct with HDMI (tv speaker for sound)
Satellite audio out to Denon (full sound through Denon)

Denon to HDTV with S-Video and treat the TV as a monitor from the Denon.

Or, Do I want to hook ALL of my video components (DVD, VCR, PS2) to the HDTV Direct and the audio to the Denon?

Yes, simple answer is to upgrade the receiver, but I want to wait on that.

Thoughts?

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Of course, run the HDMI from your satellite to your tv, there's no need to degrade your picture quality just for the minor detail of having your Denon do all the switching for you. With the HDMI cable carrying both video and audio from your satellite box, I guess you could try the analog audio outputs from your satellite box to your denon and see if they work to carry audio to the reciever while still using the HDMI to your TV... I doubt the analog audio outputs from your TV will carry the satellite audio signal originating from the HDMI input. Don't know. Try it.

Long story short, use the highest quality interfaces to make your connections. If you can use HDMI or component for any video connections, do so, otherwise if you have to use S-video, then why not go through the Denon if you have enough S-video sources to make the switcher there worth using.

zildjian

zildjian

Audioholic Chief
Wait a second.... "St. Louis Dave" lives in Michigan????
Go Cards!

S

St. Louis Dave

Audiophyte
Used to live in STL. Now in Michigan. GO TIGERS!

Thanks for the response. I figured I would play the "try it and see" game, but it never hurts to ask.

N

Nick250

Audioholic Samurai
I like play "B" run all video to the TV and all audio to the receiver. If I understand things correctly HDMI will provide audio through the TV speakers in case you don't want to run the whole system just to watch TV.

Nick

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis