Earthquake subwoofer, is it good?

E

eduuu

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm searching for a subwoofer in the range of $200 to $400, I've checked on internet both new and used Klipsch, Polk, Rel, Jamo, Definitive Technologic and others. I even downloaded some owner's manuals.
Now I found a Earthquake SUB 120.
I didn't know that brand and I didn't found much information, so I don't know how good it is.
What called my attention is the owner's manual, it has a full graphic showing db-hz response, I didn't see that kind of information in any other manual. I even read some people in doubt about Definitive Technologic because they don't state if the frequency response they show for some subs are in the +-3db range
So, how good is Earthquake?

Thanks!

zhimbo

zhimbo

Audioholic General
Yeah, and that graph shows >120db at 20Hz, all in a $400 subwoofer! Quoting the manual "110 dB to 128 dB at 15 Hz to 20 Hz".

That's...remarkably inflated. Maybe close-mic'd in a broom closet, but not with ANY standardized method of measurement will that sub be even close to capable of that.

That alone would steer me from this company - already I have trust issues. That graph and those numbers have no necessary context to interpret properly, and can't possibly represent any realistic performance limits.

Last edited:
theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
Earthquake is a bit of an enigma to be honest. They submit nothing for review, are sold by almost no one and have precious few owners on the HT forums (at least that I've run across anyway). They've been around for a while, so there has to be someone buying them, but you'll be hard-pressed to find much information. Caveat emptor...

theJman

theJman

Audioholic Chief
I suspect only the 1000's are the same, in that period of time the rest of the model line has either been refreshed or is a new product.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I suspect only the 1000's are the same, in that period of time the rest of the model line has either been refreshed or is a new product.
Yes, the 1000s being what I meant by base models....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis