Earpain ? Hearing disorders? Tinnitus ? Solutions ? Loud Movies , music etc

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
As someone who has had tinnitus since the 70's, ear pain is not a symptom. Go see a ENT and forget about online doctoring.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Been checked by docs , I said that already . Will any earplugs help , so far all the audiophile ones irritate my ears the two clear plastic types .

Been there , done that , quit each med I think for a while . No help , they said possible teeth might be grinding at night .
I have , multiple doctors and even if I keep volumes down low I’m in pain . Maybe I’ll call them again sometime, ear nose and throat. Doctor was useless , as was audiologist.

Sensitive hearing , tinnitus , were about all they said they thought it was ENTsaid no treatment exist for it.
Does anything soothe the pain ? I tried olive oil but doctor said it makes it too wet does not help.
Finding a remedy is like catching a big foot .
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I dunno... I've had tinnitus for decades and what you describe doesn't sound like it. I have lost sensitivity, not gotten more sensitive. I have trouble hearing things at lower volumes and there's no pain at all. Annoying, yes, but not painful. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring it, but there's a high pitched sine wave constantly playing in my ears that never goes away.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I used to go to movie theater few times a week which , at the time I had no idea you could buy audiophiles earplugs ... I eventually got a pair but not after tinnitus had gotten severe. Doctors offer no treatment no help .. been to audiologist , ent , normal doc .
There all just stumped

I’ve been to multiple doctors none of which were any help .
Constant ear pain in left ear , especially during loud noises and stuff . Occasionally I get ringing it used to be daily .

Used to listen to loud music and movies pretty regularly. Lately it’s just been tv only watched a few movies loud this month at home .
Any help ?
Tips ?
Solutions to tinnitus or what could this be something worse ?
Medical clearly does not understand ears too well .
Most of my audiophiles earplugs are lost any cheap good ones ? Maybe on amazon
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately you have done the damage.

Here is a diagram of the ear.

So sound travels along your auditory canal. Then it encounters the tympanic membrane which is the microphone diaphragm. This is connected to the three bones of the middle ear. This is an air containing cavity. The air reaches it from the nose, via the narrow gauge eustachian tubes.
The bones are constructed to exchange movement for force as the stapes impinges on cochlea which is fluid filled. Fluid is not compressible.

Now we take a look at the cochlea.

The sound waves are therefore converted completely to waves of pressure. These are received by the inner and outer hair cells connected to the Cells of Deiters.

This is an Analog to Digital converter. The digital pluses are then transmitted to the auditory cortex of the brain, for decoding via the auditory nerve, which is the eighth cranial nerve.

Now biological systems are chemo/electrical. The electrical pulses are created principally by fluxes of sodium, potassium and especially calcium ions across cell membranes.

Now the hair cells especially, and the auditory nerve to an extent are especially susceptible to noise induced damage. Once killed they are not replaced. As they die they produce these spurious high pitched noises known as tinnitus.

Once this process starts, it can not be reversed. So hearing loss becomes progressive, starting with the highest frequencies. Once hearing above 3K is lost understanding speech becomes progressively difficult. Once frequencies above 1.5 K are lost deafness becomes profound. At around the loss at 3K hearing aids are required.

Once deafness becomes so profound that it beyond the help of hearing aids, the only route is cochlea implants. These are battery driven implants, that covert sound waves into digital signals that can be sent to the brain via the auditory nerve. I should state this does not restore normal hearing by any means, but does allow victims after training to understand speech.

So the advice is avoid noise abuse. If it starts, then you need to avoid loud sounds like the plague, to avoid speeding up the progression of deafness.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yeah I dunno... I've had tinnitus for decades and what you describe doesn't sound like it. I have lost sensitivity, not gotten more sensitive. I have trouble hearing things at lower volumes and there's no pain at all. Annoying, yes, but not painful. I've gotten pretty good at ignoring it, but there's a high pitched sine wave constantly playing in my ears that never goes away.
Symptoms vary, and increased sound sensitivity is not uncommon, especially in early cases. A few cases are associated with some pain.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Unfortunately you have done the damage.

Here is a diagram of the ear.

So sound travels along your auditory canal. Then it encounters the tympanic membrane which is the microphone diaphragm. This is connected to the three bones of the middle ear. This is an air containing cavity. The air reaches it from the nose, via the narrow gauge eustachian tubes.
The bones are constructed to exchange movement for force as the stapes impinges on cochlea which is fluid filled. Fluid is not compressible.

Now we take a look at the cochlea.

The sound waves are therefore converted completely to waves of pressure. These are received by the inner and outer hair cells connected to the Cells of Deiters.

This is an Analog to Digital converter. The digital pluses are then transmitted to the auditory cortex of the brain, for decoding via the auditory nerve, which is the eighth cranial nerve.

Now biological systems are chemo/electrical. The electrical pulses are created principally by fluxes of sodium, potassium and especially calcium ions across cell membranes.

Now the hair cells especially, and the auditory nerve to an extent are especially susceptible to noise induced damage. Once killed they are not replaced. As they die they produce these spurious high pitched noises known as tinnitus.

Once this process starts, it can not be reversed. So hearing loss becomes progressive, starting with the highest frequencies. Once hearing above 3K is lost understanding speech becomes progressively difficult. Once frequencies above 1.5 K are lost deafness becomes profound. At around the loss at 3K hearing aids are required.

Once deafness becomes so profound that it beyond the help of hearing aids, the only route is cochlea implants. These are battery driven implants, that covert sound waves into digital signals that can be sent to the brain via the auditory nerve. I should state this does not restore normal hearing by any means, but does allow victims after training to understand speech.

So the advice is avoid noise abuse. If it starts, then you need to avoid loud sounds like the plague, to avoid speeding up the progression of deafness.
Does that mean one is doomed for deafness or can it be mitigated by responsible volume control?

I really liked the adc analogy with the Cells of Deiters.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry but an audiologist is not the person to see. You need a ENT.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Does that mean one is doomed for deafness or can it be mitigated by responsible volume control?

Hearing ability naturally decays with age, but responsible volume control will go a long way towards making sure you can hear better for longer.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Volume control will slow it markedly, but there will be progressive HF loss. It becomes a matter of how much and how fast.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
Long story short, I wear "Signia", behind the ear hearing aids the past 3 years. I am not deaf by any means, but gives me clarity in a noisy atmosphere shutting out background noise or when in a group or crowd of people. I have some issues with certain spoken letters in the alphabet. Also, hearing at further distances.
My hearing aids have phone app for direction listening, whether 360 degree, side, tuned to frontal listening.
The app can produce more base or treble and has volume control. The model "Signia" hearing aid I chose was $4500.00, 3 years ago, and behind the ear w batteries. I did not want the rechargeable model.

I will be seeing my audiologist at the clinic, later this month, for new hearing test, and possibly discuss other Signia hearing aids. Technology is every improving. I have speech issues too, especially if they are talking to FAST, like teenagers do, for example or my grand kids. It sometimes sounds like their mumbling. lol The model Signia hearing aids I have, does help in some respects, but not all the time. I will tend to ignore.

I don't use my hearing aids, when watching TV and movies, as just turn it up a bit. We have his and hers TVs. lol

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Volume control will slow it markedly, but there will be progressive HF loss. It becomes a matter of how much and how fast.
Looks like I’m screwed ear pain even with nothing loud playing , must have to focus on not losing hearing now .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Like Pogre I have that high-pitched sine wave but in 2 or 3 tones. Two many rock concerts with no hearing protection when I was young. The Tedx Talks video posted earlier was very interesting. I new about the hair cell damage but not how the brain functions in response.

For earplugs, I have two styles. I have the Alpine MusicSafe Classic which comes with a medium and high filter. The medium is good enough for most music concerts and bars and the high is for extreme levels. These go in fairly tight and would probably not be comfortable enough for noob.

I also purchased the Norton Sonic Valve II years ago, which is American made and popular with hunters. I actually got these in a music store and wore them when I played bass in a band. They use a silicon rubber plug which is quite comfortable and have a metal attenuation device inside that is removable. The beauty of this device is that the attenuation increases with the noise level. Thus you can still understand speech but loud sharp noises get deadened. That's why gun enthusiasts like them. For me, I could still understand the vocals in the band, but cymbal crashes and drums would get toned down nicely. They are not as inconspicuous as the Alpine, but work very well. I think they stopped making them, which is a shame. The replacement brand is not as comfortable as the Nortons. I've seen some available in Europe and am tempted to get a pair while they're still available.

Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic
In the same room? :D
I hope not.......lol She would rule the roost if she did......Well.....she does anyway, with 55 years of marriage.
My equipment is a little louder than hers.....so ...I might rule in this case or have a fight. lol

highfigh

highfigh

Looks like I’m screwed ear pain even with nothing loud playing , must have to focus on not losing hearing now .
Find out if you have an ear infection. Or, if you usually have sinus issues, take a decongestant.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
As someone who has had tinnitus since the 70's, ear pain is not a symptom. Go see a ENT and forget about online doctoring.
Did the ENT help with your tinnitus?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Did the ENT help with your tinnitus?
At Mayo they just reaffirmed what my local ENT and Audiologist already told me. The damage was done back in my 20's , there is NO CURE for tinnitus. You just live with it. Its too late for me. I've heard of some new NeoSenory kit that can reduce the ringing.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis