Earpain ? Hearing disorders? Tinnitus ? Solutions ? Loud Movies , music etc

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I used to go to movie theater few times a week which , at the time I had no idea you could buy audiophiles earplugs ... I eventually got a pair but not after tinnitus had gotten severe. Doctors offer no treatment no help .. been to audiologist , ent , normal doc .
There all just stumped

I’ve been to multiple doctors none of which were any help .
Constant ear pain in left ear , especially during loud noises and stuff . Occasionally I get ringing it used to be daily .

Used to listen to loud music and movies pretty regularly. Lately it’s just been tv only watched a few movies loud this month at home .
Any help ?
Tips ?
Solutions to tinnitus or what could this be something worse ?
Medical clearly does not understand ears too well .
Most of my audiophiles earplugs are lost any cheap good ones ? Maybe on amazon
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If you have ear pain, that's something not related to or besides tinnitus and you should get checked by a doctor.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Same here most days I have a high pitch sound in my inner ear. I’ve just learned to live with it. Yep been to Doctors nothing can be done for it, some day’s it’s only one ear other time’s maybe one day out of 10 it’s gone, bliss I tell ya not to hear that very Aggravating noise for 24 hour’s. The morning time it’s not noticeable till the day drags on it gets bad like right now. They say the Doctors that is the cause? a very very loud noise I was Exposed to at one time or maybe not. I worked in the oilfield for 15 years 85% in the Gulf of Mexico on Production platforms around very very loud Turbine engines think Jet engine like 6 of them running. Yes I had ear plugs in all the time but even that only helped to a point. Not to mention Flying around in Choppers didn’t help. I would give up my audio gear if the trade off was Golden Silence could be had 24/7.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I used to go to movie theater few times a week which , at the time I had no idea you could buy audiophiles earplugs ... I eventually got a pair but not after tinnitus had gotten severe. Doctors offer no treatment no help .. been to audiologist , ent , normal doc .
There all just stumped

Constant ear pain in left ear , especially during loud noises and stuff . Occasionally I get ringing it used to be daily .

Used to listen to loud music and movies pretty regularly. Lately it’s just been tv only watched a few movies loud this month at home .
Any help ?
Tips ?
There is nothing that anyone here can tell you that a certified audiologist can't. Some medicines can cause issues with hearing, maybe be some medicine you are taking. You should talk to your doctor about hearing side effects of any medicines that you are taking. Maybe there is an alternative that doesn't have these effects.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
If you have ear pain, that's something not related to or besides tinnitus and you should get checked by a doctor.
Been checked by docs , I said that already . Will any earplugs help , so far all the audiophile ones irritate my ears the two clear plastic types .

Been there , done that , quit each med I think for a while . No help , they said possible teeth might be grinding at night .
I have , multiple doctors and even if I keep volumes down low I’m in pain . Maybe I’ll call them again sometime, ear nose and throat. Doctor was useless , as was audiologist.

Sensitive hearing , tinnitus , were about all they said they thought it was ENTsaid no treatment exist for it.
Does anything soothe the pain ? I tried olive oil but doctor said it makes it too wet does not help.
Finding a remedy is like catching a big foot .

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Same here most days I have a high pitch sound in my inner ear. I’ve just learned to live with it. Yep been to Doctors nothing can be done for it, some day’s it’s only one ear other time’s maybe one day out of 10 it’s gone, bliss I tell ya not to hear that very Aggravating noise for 24 hour’s. The morning time it’s not noticeable till the day drags on it gets bad like right now. They say the Doctors that is the cause? a very very loud noise I was Exposed to at one time or maybe not. I worked in the oilfield for 15 years 85% in the Gulf of Mexico on Production platforms around very very loud Turbine engines think Jet engine like 6 of them running. Yes I had ear plugs in all the time but even that only helped to a point. Not to mention Flying around in Choppers didn’t help. I would give up my audio gear if the trade off was Golden Silence could be had 24/7.
Insanely loud normal earplugs wouldn’t help ...
Wow wind turbines are way louder then a loud movie theater ?

What about cinemark Xd? Or iMax

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
No one else had any tinnitus issues ? Or help

‘why do doctors have no solutions-for this and why is the audio world not found any remedies either ?

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
No one else had any tinnitus issues ? Or help

‘why do doctors have no solutions-for this and why is the audio world not found any remedies either ?

Treble and small pistachios:

let me explain:
I had noticed my brand new shiny left Dcm seemed to be losing its sparkle in the higher ranges. I even thought to myself “ohh bother“
Then I noticed after a day or so that I was having a harder time hearing normal day to day conversations. Luckily I remembered I had bought a nifty gadget on amazon a while back called blue rhino or something similar. As much as I hate water in my ears I decided to give it a try. It’s nothing more than a spray bottle with a tiny special tip attached to a hose meant to painfully soak ones ear canal in the hopes of removing wax. Well after some fumbling about trying to make it work by myself, as I’m sitting in the tub, I call my gf for assistance. She seemed overly willing and visibly excited to mercilessly shoot the warm mixture of water and white vinegar into my brain. Long story short, i made the mistake of advising her the directions said to rapidly squeeze the spray handle. She went to town on my tender ear canal and then exclaimed “ OHH SOMETHING “ And was furiously swuez and releasing it at this point. I ducked away and looked down into the tub to find a smallish pistachio looking object and immediately noticed I could hear again. It was then I announced just how done we were with this process. FWIW. My speaker sounds great and I can understand folks enough to actually respond to them without grunting “huh?”
It May or may not help in your situation. Just an update on my isolation shenanigans.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I've been suffering with tinnitus for about 4 years now, ever since a very loud 'firecracker' like sound during 4th of July! And I was indoors at the time, some idiot set off very loud device some place outside my apartment, and I'm on the 2nd floor. . And working in a data center with almost constant 60-70 dB of server fan noise 5 days a week did not help. No longer in a loud room at work but the damage has been done in the past. Maybe the seed was planted many years ago at a Def Leppard concert, who can tell? Currently the ringing / buzzing can vary from barely perceptible to very noticeable. NO ear pain however. I've flushed wax out of the ears with little help. Maybe a daily ear flush, like tooth brushing, who can say?

C

Chris in Dallas

Junior Audioholic
It’s as if I have an internal noise floor. The less outside noise Im able to hear because of wax build up or a cold or what have you, the more I realize the internal system noise or tinnitus.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
There all just stumped

Any help ?
Tips ?
What do you do for work and how often are you exposed to high SPL sounds? If you insist on keeping the audio level high, you have no choice but to lose what's left of your hearing ability. The fact that the volume control goes higher than necessary doesn't mean it has to be set at maximum.

If you have worked in loud places without any hearing protection, you need to ask yourself if you ever wondered about hearing loss and if your employer(s) have offered protection but you refused, well.....

If your employers never offered, did they post or hand out OSHA regulations? That's mandatory.

The medical field DOES understand ears and hearing- it's your doctors who are dropping the ball. Did they inspect your ears? What did they see? I had slight pain and loss of upper mid/high frequencies in one ear and upon inspection, it was found that I had wax buildup. Once I flushed it, my hearing is fine.

Car stereos and cars are a big factor in this, as is just being in traffic. Driving with your window open is another good way to lose hearing- the noise level is definitely a factor. If you use power tools, especially impact drivers, you MUST use hearing protection. Do you swing a hammer? Ditto- This Old House had an episode with someone from OSHA where they measured the SPL from using a regular hammer and it reached over 130dB- that's more than enough to cause permanent damage. If you're exposed to a narrow band of frequencies, you WILL lose acuity in that range- it's not negotiable.

There's no reason to hit high SPL while watching TV or movies- it's not a contest and if it were, the level should be measured with people out of the area.I have seen videos of idiots measuring the SPL of their car stereos and home theaters, with the meter showing over 140dB. First, that number is highly unlikely because low frequency impacts at that level can disrupt the heart and second, 130dB is the commonly accepted level called 'threshold of pain'. That has been raised by 10dB- used to be that 120dB was the pain threshold but that's now called 'threshold of feeling'.

1585487231279.png

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What do you do for work and how often are you exposed to high SPL sounds? If you insist on keeping the audio level high, you have no choice but to lose what's left of your hearing ability. The fact that the volume control goes higher than necessary doesn't mean it has to be set at maximum.

If you have worked in loud places without any hearing protection, you need to ask yourself if you ever wondered about hearing loss and if your employer(s) have offered protection but you refused, well.....

If your employers never offered, did they post or hand out OSHA regulations? That's mandatory.

The medical field DOES understand ears and hearing- it's your doctors who are dropping the ball. Did they inspect your ears? What did they see? I had slight pain and loss of upper mid/high frequencies in one ear and upon inspection, it was found that I had wax buildup. Once I flushed it, my hearing is fine.

Car stereos and cars are a big factor in this, as is just being in traffic. Driving with your window open is another good way to lose hearing- the noise level is definitely a factor. If you use power tools, especially impact drivers, you MUST use hearing protection. Do you swing a hammer? Ditto- This Old House had an episode with someone from OSHA where they measured the SPL from using a regular hammer and it reached over 130dB- that's more than enough to cause permanent damage. If you're exposed to a narrow band of frequencies, you WILL lose acuity in that range- it's not negotiable.

There's no reason to hit high SPL while watching TV or movies- it's not a contest and if it were, the level should be measured with people out of the area.I have seen videos of idiots measuring the SPL of their car stereos and home theaters, with the meter showing over 140dB. First, that number is highly unlikely because low frequency impacts at that level can disrupt the heart and second, 130dB is the commonly accepted level called 'threshold of pain'. That has been raised by 10dB- used to be that 120dB was the pain threshold but that's now called 'threshold of feeling'.

View attachment 34916
I do remember being forced to help my uncle for my dads drain buisiness , many jobs were super loud he had to hammer and chisel drains open . I was not provided or offered hearing protection. I later bought audiophiles earplugs but they were too little too late , multiple of them have been lost or misplaced .
Loud and hearing had been damaged since , even fans can aggrovate it .

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
I have have had tinnitus for several years. I'm not sure what caused it, but it is annoying.

This video may provide some insight:

Josef Rauschecker is a professor at Georgetown University Medical Center, so I doubt he's a complete quack.

highfigh

highfigh

I do remember being forced to help my uncle for my dads drain buisiness , many jobs were super loud he had to hammer and chisel drains open . I was not provided or offered hearing protection. I later bought audiophiles earplugs but they were too little too late , multiple of them have been lost or misplaced .
Loud and hearing had been damaged since , even fans can aggrovate it .

Screw "audiophile" ear plugs- if you're making noise demolishing something or using impact tools, use real ear protection. That requires something that blocks EVERYTHING, to the lowest frequency possible. Most can't do anything for the lowest frequencies because we don't hear those through our ears- that happens via bone conduction.

Fans, sure- I have my computer sitting on my desk near me and I need to move it because the little fans are affecting my ears. It doesn't take a lot to screw up our ears.

highfigh

highfigh

I have have had tinnitus for several years. I'm not sure what caused it, but it is annoying.
There are many causes, including high blood pressure and medications. If you remember some of the threads that included Dr Floyd Toole, he wrote that years of using Naproxin Sodium (Alleve and the generics) caused his tinnitus.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

I can't advise this as a cure, many folks should not over indulge, but after finishing off a 3/4 bottle of French Bordeaux and a couple cocktails (brandy Alexander), the next day the tinnitus was less severe, but not entirely gone. :p

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I can't advise this as a cure, many folks should not over indulge, but after finishing off a 3/4 bottle of French Bordeaux and a couple cocktails (brandy Alexander), the next day the tinnitus was less severe, but not entirely gone. :p
Only because the headache and nausea drowned it out... :p

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Only because the headache and nausea drowned it out... :p
Yeah I don’t think a hangover is going to cure tinnitus , if that was true . I wouldn’t have it I quit drinking but I used to a few years back.

Today’s liquor is far from natural..flavor added to vodkas so they can sell it for $60 a bottle like gaygoose.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Yeah I don’t think a hangover is going to cure tinnitus , if that was true . I wouldn’t have it I quit drinking but I used to a few years back.

Today’s liquor is far from natural..flavor added to vodkas so they can sell it for $60 a bottle like gaygoose.
Never had a hangover! Did not drink it all at once....good grief, plus had food! LOL

D

dcrandon

Enthusiast
These are the two I bought a couple years ago. They are pretty comfortable, but not perfect. The idea is that they don't alter frequency response, but by the same token, they don't have a huge reduction in amplitude either.

What I want to find is an ENT or Audiologist who is also an audiophile...then they'll understand where I'm coming from.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis