eARC TV compatibility with older Onkyo TX-NR535

F

Fotogrob

Audiophyte
My older LG plasma TV has no problem with the HDMI input on my old Onkyo. I've ready a little and learned about the new eARC higher bandwidth. I am only concerned with audio from streaming and network channels being output from my new TLC 65" with eARC HDMI port with the older ARC into the Onkyo. Should I expect any issues? TIA.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
My older LG plasma TV has no problem with the HDMI input on my old Onkyo. I've ready a little and learned about the new eARC higher bandwidth. I am only concerned with audio from streaming and network channels being output from my new TLC 65" with eARC HDMI port with the older ARC into the Onkyo. Should I expect any issues? TIA.
You should not expect issues, but you might get them.

An eARC TV should be able to send information to a receiver with ARC. However you will not get the advantages of eARC. It will perform to ARC spec, so you can't get the newer formats and all audio will use lossy codecs. The TV is required to have an information channel included. This in theory should automatically gather information from your receiver, and only send it information, codecs and formats that it can decode and use.

However, as in all things HDMI, and especially in the eARC/ARC domain, your results must vary. I will say that eARC is much better and more stable than ARC. So your receiver not having eARC is a significant deficit, if you are going to stream from your TV.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis