eARC Multi Channel Amplifier

B

Blasters

Audiophyte
I would like to upgrade my home theatre setup and one of the items to replace is the receiver. On the receiver I am using only the HDMI TV eARC port to send sound from the TV to the receiver for output to the home theatre speakers. All other HDMI devices are connected directly to the TV. The remaining HDMI inputs at the receiver are wasted.

I am aware there are multi channel amplifiers out there for powering home theatre speakers. Are there any channel amplifiers out there that have a built in HDMI eARC port and are capable of decoding audio formats and powering home theatre speakers?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I would like to upgrade my home theatre setup and one of the items to replace is the receiver. On the receiver I am using only the HDMI TV eARC port to send sound from the TV to the receiver for output to the home theatre speakers. All other HDMI devices are connected directly to the TV. The remaining HDMI inputs at the receiver are wasted.

I am aware there are multi channel amplifiers out there for powering home theatre speakers. Are there any channel amplifiers out there that have a built in HDMI eARC port and are capable of decoding audio formats and powering home theatre speakers?
NO

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, they are called avrs :) Why hook everything up to a tv?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes, they are called avrs :) Why hook everything up to a tv?
As I understand it he wants a power amp with one eARC input, so he can use his TV as pre/pro. Unfortunately he does not understand the nonsensical nature of what he is asking for.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I understand it he wants a power amp with one eARC input, so he can use his TV as pre/pro. Unfortunately he does not understand the nonsensical nature of what he is asking for.
Yeah that's not going to happen. TV as pre-pro would suck anyways.

B

Blasters

Audiophyte
All the streaming services are apps available on the TV which does not require additonal HDMI devices and hardware, it is one of the main reasons why a fully fledged receiver is not required. The Xbox Series X is connected directly to the TV with sound passthrough the TV to receiver via HDMI eARC.

The only connection to the receiver is the TV for ARC/eARC. So the remaining ports and features of the receiver are not used or underutilised.

Another reason for not wanting another receiver is the TV is more likely to be replaced in future years supporting whatever latest formats are available then. As is the case with the current receiver it does not support all the new HDMI features and display formats like Dolby Vision, VRR, etc. Hence the connection of the XBox being direct to the TV.

If there exists a more stripped down version of a receiver that can decode audio formats (Dolby, DTS, etc) and is a channelled amplifier that is what I am looking for - if a thing like this even exists.

Should this be a moot question please can you elaborate to an audio lamer. Possibly there are some other options available that you can advise and recommend? Ideally a one box fits all type solution to power the speakers would be fantastic.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The tv has none of the various ways to adjust for delays/levels etc that an avr has. It's just a dumb way to go to think your tv is capable as a receiver.....its not.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

All the streaming services are apps available on the TV which does not require additonal HDMI devices and hardware, it is one of the main reasons why a fully fledged receiver is not required. The Xbox Series X is connected directly to the TV with sound passthrough the TV to receiver via HDMI eARC.

The only connection to the receiver is the TV for ARC/eARC. So the remaining ports and features of the receiver are not used or underutilised.

Another reason for not wanting another receiver is the TV is more likely to be replaced in future years supporting whatever latest formats are available then. As is the case with the current receiver it does not support all the new HDMI features and display formats like Dolby Vision, VRR, etc. Hence the connection of the XBox being direct to the TV.

If there exists a more stripped down version of a receiver that can decode audio formats (Dolby, DTS, etc) and is a channelled amplifier that is what I am looking for - if a thing like this even exists.

Should this be a moot question please can you elaborate to an audio lamer. Possibly there are some other options available that you can advise and recommend? Ideally a one box fits all type solution to power the speakers would be fantastic.
Well yo have certainly correctly identified yourself. Basically your only options are a receiver or pre/pro with external amps.

Ideally a TV would be an end device like a loudspeaker, with no apps, just a screen that shows whatever signal is sent to it. However most of the public are content with the horrid TV speakers, or a ghastly sound bar.

A TV has no ability to manage levels, and no bass management. So a receiver or pre/pro is required. Optimally you should regard a TV as a visual speaker, and connect all your sources to a receiver or pr/pro. That is the proper way to organize your AV system.

A

alepine

Audiophyte
I just bought my first television and I think I am looking for a similar device as the OP. I only have two devices that I would like to connect to the speakers. The Android television sends formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos and Stereo over HDMI eARC. The AM/FM tuner sends stereo over optical or Coaxial SPDIF or audio line. The target device should be able to process the above audio formats and have the above audio inputs. So instead of an AVR the device I am looking for could be called an AR (no "video"), since I don't have any video to process. As far as I can tell there is no market for a 5+ channel AR. My requirements could be fulfilled by an AVR, but I was hoping that an AR would be less expensive and be in a smaller form factor. If you find one please let me know about it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I just bought my first television and I think I am looking for a similar device as the OP. I only have two devices that I would like to connect to the speakers. The Android television sends formats such as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Atmos and Stereo over HDMI eARC. The AM/FM tuner sends stereo over optical or Coaxial SPDIF or audio line. The target device should be able to process the above audio formats and have the above audio inputs. So instead of an AVR the device I am looking for could be called an AR (no "video"), since I don't have any video to process. As far as I can tell there is no market for a 5+ channel AR. My requirements could be fulfilled by an AVR, but I was hoping that an AR would be less expensive and be in a smaller form factor. If you find one please let me know about it.
The answer is still the same as was given to the OP. There is no such device and there never will be. You need an AVR or AVP plus amps. There are no other options.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
So instead of an AVR the device I am looking for could be called an AR (no "video"), since I don't have any video to process. As far as I can tell there is no market for a 5+ channel AR.
There may be a market for it, but no such device exists. Like TLS said, AVR or AVP plus amps are your choices.

Pandaman617

Pandaman617

Senior Audioholic
If you have an older AVR that doesn’t support e-ARC you can get the Thena Audio sHARC adapter. I got mine for $220 shipped and used it with my x4300h for a while with no issues. It lets you use a device like a Series X or PS5 @ 4K 120hz HDR and than still pass Dolby Atmos or DTS:X into one of the inputs on your existing AVR as long as that receiver can already do Atmos/DTS:X.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis