Votes: 12 100.0%
  • The Burrito Brothers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
Who would you think has had more impact in music.

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I never even heard of the Burrito Brothers.

Resident Loser

Resident Loser

Senior Audioholic
That's probably a difficult question...

...the Burrito's had a checkered carreer at best and the personnel had changed dramatically over the years...starting pretty much as an offshoot of the Byrds, lotsa' people came and went, so I don't know if one could say the band itself, as a band, was influential, or if was more the premise of a country band with a R'n'R edge...some of the members went on to other groups which did sort of give some direction to the genre of country-rock. If you do a web search of the group, there is more info than I can supply there.

The Eagles have been commercially viable, and that's enough to turn people off to them and their music...there is no "mystique" of the leader ODing or things like that...like Matthew Polk and his speakers, once the darling of the cognescentii, as soon as a measure of success rears it's ugly head, he's a sell-out and his wares are yesterdays news...

They are responsible for well written, well played, well produced music, there is an audience for it and, as Henley said in the NBC show, they have no problem playing the hits...AND more importantly, they can still pull it off...anyone who may have been unfortunate enough to see the one-hit-wonders-revisited show that was touted during the Eagles tee-vee show, will know what I mean.

So, as much as I hate to admit it, simply as an incubator for the genre and some of the more influential players involved in it, my answer would be the Burrito's...BUT I, and more than just a few folks, can whistle or hum an Eagles tune on the spot, can't say the same for The Flying Burrito Brother's...In music, being market-driven, the performers will produce what the public wants, "innovators" sometimes get lost in the sauce...so how do you measure influence?

jimHJJ(...perhaps the question needs a re-think...)

R

rschleicher

Audioholic
From the music listener perspective I think it's obvious that the Eagles have had a far larger impact. But, you can make a case for the Burrito Brothers being very influential on other musicians (including the Eagles), even if they were never popular themselves.

The Velvet Underground is a great example - probably one of the most infulential bands ever, in terms of their impact on other musicians and bands. But their albums never sold at all. Be honest, how many people do you know who ever had a VU record in their collection? (Back when they were still together, that is. A lot more people became fans much later.)

dm_4u

dm_4u

Junior Audioholic
Shadow_Ferret said:
I never even heard of the Burrito Brothers.
I think you could make more of a case for the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers...than the Flying Burritos...Eagles...by a longshot :p

Shadow_Ferret

Shadow_Ferret

Audioholic Chief
I loved FFFB!

"Dope will get you through times of no money, better than money will get you through times of no dope."

:D

J

JJMP50

Full Audioholic
Strange Choice

I found this a strange comparison. The Burritos were a great pioneer country/rock act but I would have chosen the Byrds to put up against the Eagles before the Burritos. They were much more influential although arguably a Dylan cover band. The Burritos would be a better comparison to the New Riders of the Purple Sage or Moby Grape. Oh, the days passed...

shokhead

shokhead

Audioholic General
I only used them because others on another forum was saying how old the eagles are after they were on tv the other night. Saying they havent really done much and just keep playing the same stuff and that the BB had more impact in music. I was abit supprised to see that the eagles only have i think 8 albums in 30 years.

M

Mort Corey

Senior Audioholic
rschleicher said:

The Velvet Underground is a great example - probably one of the most infulential bands ever, in terms of their impact on other musicians and bands. But their albums never sold at all. Be honest, how many people do you know who ever had a VU record in their collection? (Back when they were still together, that is. A lot more people became fans much later.)
Hmmm, Ive still got my Velvet Underground & Nico LP with the peelable banana on the back cover :) Lou Reed was in a movie some time back but I can't remember the title off hand. As I recall, it was a pretty funny flick.

Mort

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis