Dynaudio Special 40 vs RBH-61r

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
You should really compare the RBH SV-831R bookshelf to the Dynaudio. :D :D

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Limiting the bandwidth would skew the results and really, they were made to be used as bookshelf speakers and not necessarily as speakers in a surround system, so why not judge them with full-range? While they can be used in a surround system, the Dynaudio really do sound good as stereo speakers, without a sub.
Well, for one, in both the Stereophile and the NRC measurements you'll see that the sensitivity is taken from band-limited measurements. I think they both take sensitivity as an average from 300Hz to 3kHz.

Doing so removes any bass hump from the equation (so to speak), as well as any treble hump.

But for in-room measurements, one other important reason to band-limit is that unless he places each speaker in the exact same spot while measuring/estimating senstivity, he could get dramatically different peaks in bass response due to room modes. And that could throw off the estimate.

Note that this is in reference to level-matching. I didn't intend for this to mean also auditioning/comparing them with a high high-pass crossover selected. If they're similar in size and similar in sensitivity, they're probably similar in bass reach, so it's mostly a non-issue here.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Well, for one, in both the Stereophile and the NRC measurements you'll see that the sensitivity is taken from band-limited measurements. I think they both take sensitivity as an average from 300Hz to 3kHz.

Doing so removes any bass hump from the equation (so to speak), as well as any treble hump.

But for in-room measurements, one other important reason to band-limit is that unless he places each speaker in the exact same spot while measuring/estimating sensitivity, he could get dramatically different peaks in bass response due to room modes. And that could throw off the estimate.

Note that this is in reference to level-matching. I didn't intend for this to mean also auditioning/comparing them with a high high-pass crossover selected. If they're similar in size and similar in sensitivity, they're probably similar in bass reach, so it's mostly a non-issue here.
At the price of any good/above average speaker, I would hope there would be no humps in the response.

I would try them in full-range mode, too. I installed three pairs of Dynaudio Excite 14 in a house with relatively open floor plan and while I was working there, the homeowner asked about subwoofer placement- I had walked around the rooms covered by the speakers and told him I wasn't sure it needed one, even though those are the smallest model they make. Seriously- if I had thought a sub was needed, I would have recommended one but they did a great job.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
In what way(s)?
Separation of instruments, I was thinking I should listen again using HD6XX’s as my reference.

.... the headphones don’t do much better. That’s a tough piece and not recorded the best.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Separation of instruments, I was thinking I should listen again using HD6XX’s as my reference.

.... the headphones don’t do much better. That’s a tough piece and not recorded the best.
If it's not a good recording, it's not a good candidate for testing speakers.

highfigh

highfigh

A full orchestra is probably difficult to record in general.
Lots of full orchestras have been well recorded- I heard Sibelius No2 at a local stereo store and listened here, to find out if/how my system would do it any level of justice and I was pretty happy. Ask Mark for some test music.

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
Lots of full orchestras have been well recorded- I heard Sibelius No2 at a local stereo store and listened here, to find out if/how my system would do it any level of justice and I was pretty happy. Ask Mark for some test music.
Thanks, just put in a few minutes before I run out the door. Plucking on the stand up bass with the oboe’s coming in then timpani’s coming over the top in the intro. I have a couple reflections to deal with in my room but pretty solid.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis