Dynaudio Special 40 vs Buchardt s400

P

Pioneer2040

Audiophyte
Hey all, need some advice:

I’ve owned a pair of NHT Classic Three bookshelves since 2010. Looking to upgrade.

Was debating between a used Dynaudio Special 40 or a new Buchardt S400.

I currently have a SVS SB-1000, a Marantz 1609 AV and an Emotiva A300 2 channel amp.

I have loved the NHT’s, and I’m guessing they are more forward-sounding speakers, with the aluminum tweeter and 2 inch aluminum upper midrange “dome” woofer.

Looking for a more refined, audiophile sound, but still with a slight forward presentation so I don’t lose what I loved about the NHT’s. It’s just that the highs and what I believe could be harshness is getting fatiguing after all these years with the NHT’s!

Thanks in advance!

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Hey all, need some advice:

I’ve owned a pair of NHT Classic Three bookshelves since 2010. Looking to upgrade.

Was debating between a used Dynaudio Special 40 or a new Buchardt S400.

I currently have a SVS SB-1000, a Marantz 1609 AV and an Emotiva A300 2 channel amp.

I have loved the NHT’s, and I’m guessing they are more forward-sounding speakers, with the aluminum tweeter and 2 inch aluminum upper midrange “dome” woofer.

Looking for a more refined, audiophile sound, but still with a slight forward presentation so I don’t lose what I loved about the NHT’s. It’s just that the highs and what I believe could be harshness is getting fatiguing after all these years with the NHT’s!

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to AH,

I know a bit about the Dynaudio speakers. I've heard some of their products but not that model. However, I had never heard of the Buchardt brand.

I searched on the web and I found an interesting review on the Buchardt:

This speaker seems to have a rather smooth frequency response and can accept dynamics which is a plus.

I also looked for a review on the Dynaudio Special 40. This speaker's response shows an appreciable dip in the response at around 1.4 K which could be annoying and affect the presence in the audio spectrum:

What I would suggest is that you hear both if possible. But based on the reviews, I would be inclined to go for the Buchardt. Also, if you could try the Buchardt's at home and have the possibility of returning them if you don't like them in your room acoustics, that would ideal.

P

Pioneer2040

Audiophyte
Thanks for the links. I’ll read those two analyses.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Here is another review by an owner who compared the Buchardt with some other monitors:

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
NNT Classic Threes do not look to be 'forward' sounding speakers according to measurements. For that sort of sound you would expect to see a upward tilt in treble. That is a very good response, and you will have to spend some money to get something that can top it. I don't think the Dynaudio or Buchardt speakers would be that substantial of an upgrade. If it were me I would try the JBL LSR708 monitors for something with a narrower dispersion that could end up with a more forward sound, or the Salk BMR Philharmonitors which have a very wide dispersion but with a very slightly tipped up treble.

P

Pioneer2040

Audiophyte
NNT Classic Threes do not look to be 'forward' sounding speakers according to measurements. For that sort of sound you would expect to see a upward tilt in treble. That is a very good response, and you will have to spend some money to get something that can top it. I don't think the Dynaudio or Buchardt speakers would be that substantial of an upgrade. If it were me I would try the JBL LSR708 monitors for something with a narrower dispersion that could end up with a more forward sound, or the Salk BMR Philharmonitors which have a very wide dispersion but with a very slightly tipped up treble.
interesting. I just find myself feeling a tad fatigued listening to the NHT’s. When I had them hooked up to the Marantz AV8801 they sounded their best. Even then I would tire after a couple of hours.

My system is for audio and video. So I would like more dispersion rather than focused.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I had the NHT classic threes for awhile and always felt like the aluminum tweeter had some extra distortion that caused fatigue.

P

Pioneer2040

Audiophyte
Yeah, not sure what it is. I do like the detail it has and it’s a fun speaker for sure, especially when you play it louder.

But at this point I want to experience a better balanced sound, a bit more analytical while still trying to keep it kind of fun.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Shady’s comment about the Philharmonic BMR, either through Salk, or as kits through Meniscus might be worth investigating! I am still very enamored with mine!

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, not sure what it is. I do like the detail it has and it’s a fun speaker for sure, especially when you play it louder.

But at this point I want to experience a better balanced sound, a bit more analytical while still trying to keep it kind of fun.
I've listened to the Dynaudio but not the Buchardt. The Special 40 is indeed a "special" speaker and I thought it extremely nice. It is very revealing but does not have an "analytical" sound. The thing about Dynaudio is that they don't "demo" very well, especially in comparison to, say, B&W (you will often find these two brands in the same showroom) in that they don't have that initial "exciting" sound, but are very smooth and refined. Once the ear adjusts, these speakers are just as revealing as other brands and, while a touch forgiving, certainly do not sugarcoat crappy recordings. I don't think the 40s pair very well with tube equipment (I have heard them on both SS and tubes) and kind of need that SS "edge". Also, the speakers play HUGE and it is hard to believe the sound coming from their relatively small cabinet.

From what I have read of the S400s, the may have a more "exciting" sound than the Special 40s and certianly have a ton of bass, but that is all I can comment on. If I had the funds, I would get a pair just to play around with. :)

P

Pioneer2040

Audiophyte
I've listened to the Dynaudio but not the Buchardt. The Special 40 is indeed a "special" speaker and I thought it extremely nice. It is very revealing but does not have an "analytical" sound. The thing about Dynaudio is that they don't "demo" very well, especially in comparison to, say, B&W (you will often find these two brands in the same showroom) in that they don't have that initial "exciting" sound, but are very smooth and refined. Once the ear adjusts, these speakers are just as revealing as other brands and, while a touch forgiving, certainly do not sugarcoat crappy recordings. I don't think the 40s pair very well with tube equipment (I have heard them on both SS and tubes) and kind of need that SS "edge". Also, the speakers play HUGE and it is hard to believe the sound coming from their relatively small cabinet.

From what I have read of the S400s, the may have a more "exciting" sound than the Special 40s and certianly have a ton of bass, but that is all I can comment on. If I had the funds, I would get a pair just to play around with. :)

Thanks for the round-up!

P

Pioneer2040

Audiophyte
I’m going to look into those Philharmonic’s.

Cambridge Audio uses a BMR as well and it seems like an interesting technology.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

I can say, that for the cost and in the hands of an experienced designer, the BMR Driver is very impressive. Dennis shared a little of what he did in designing his speaker in order to get the best performance out of the BMR. The result is pretty astounding!
If you haven't seen it, here is the AH review:
Note that the pricing is different today, through Salk, for finished speakers. The project for Kits through Meniscus is mostly complete, but I am uncertain if the Cabinet Guy has priced a finished cabinet yet. (Once he does, you could order the parts through Meniscus with completed XOs, the Cabinets through Leland, and all you would have to do is the final installation of parts.
That said, Salks cabinet work is very nice, and if you go for his finishes, you can get some stunning boxes! ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

The Philharmonic speakers (and by association, Salk) are the only speakers I can't recall reading a negative comment about, ever. I'd say they're pretty easy front runners for the serious audiophile and super easy to recommend.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
There are several versions of the BMR driver Tectonic has made... not all of them are necessarily ideal drivers; they have their quirks. I've found myself curious as to whether they can all be coaxed, in some manner or another, to perform as well as the one Dennis chose.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis