Dynaudio 52SE and sub - Anyone tried?

J

jtbe

Audiophyte
Hi,
I recently brought a pair of Audience 52SE's into the household but wanted to know if anyone had successfully mated a Sub to these speakers. I'd like something specifically for 2 channel so anyones success would be a great lesson to learn. They are running off a NAD 352.

Thanks,
JT

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Can't say that I have but I can offer some general advice.

you can generally mate a good sub wuth any speakers. In your case, I'd specificaly look for a sub with both a right and left input, either line level, speaker level or both and an adjustable low pass filter.

the reason I say this isthat I've mated a velodyne sub with my maggies at line level by splitting the signal between the pramp and power amp and sendng the full range to bothe the sub abd the power amp, which drives the maggies full range.

That way, I run the maggies full range and use the adjustable low pass filter on the sub so that the sub only comes into play where my speakers fall off. That is to say around 45 hz or so. This prevents the sub from having higher (by sub standards, anyway) from going to the sub.

J

jtbe

Audiophyte
Thanks for the feedback. I would actually like to take most of the low bass from hitting the speakers altogether. A fast sub to match these speakers would be ideal.

L

Lagger

Audioholic Intern
jtbe said:
Hi,
I recently brought a pair of Audience 52SE's into the household but wanted to know if anyone had successfully mated a Sub to these speakers. I'd like something specifically for 2 channel so anyones success would be a great lesson to learn. They are running off a NAD 352.

Thanks,
JT
You'll have no problem running a sub with the 52's. I recommend it due to the amount of musical information that gets lost that you can't "feel". Im surprised how deep the 52's can go for a standmounter, you hear it, but can't really "feel" it. Like you said thou, try to get a fast and responsive sub. I haven't had any experience with the new Velodyne's or anything new for that matter, I just base it off the driver. For something fast with good SQ, I recommend an aluminum cone driver. Very few manufactures make them out-of-the-box.

I've had good experience retro-fitting an existing home sub with a car subwoofer. Bought a DCM, took the junk stock sub out(which was the sub's limiting factor) and replaced it with a Crossfire sub. 100% better. Although mine has a few drawbacks for pure 2ch listening 1) It's ported and 2) It's downfiring. Get a sealed, front-firing sub with decent amp, and throw an Alumapro sub in there. Done deal. Peace_

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis