Dynamo 1600x or two SVS PC-2000s?

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
I recently got my Martin Logan Motions (two 60xti, 50xti, and two 15i surrounds), and I have a number of questions I am splitting up between the various threads.

I got a reasonable deal on a Dynamo 1600x sub as part of the package (around $1350 instead of usual price), and it is fantastic. It seems to do an excellent job on bass-heavy movies like Blade Runner 2049, and I could certainly call it a day and consider myself happy.

That said, I could still return it, and I am wondering if I should instead try two SVS PC-2000s (which would cost more, I think around $1800-1900). I have not been able to hear them anywhere, and it makes me nervous to return something I like for something I am uncertain about. But I am wondering if (based on specs anyway, and their being ported) would get notably lower extension and having two is preferable to the one.

Some considerations:

(1) Room size is about 13x14x8, except that there is no right wall, it opens up into the broader basement, which is another 30x15 or so.

(2) Size matters. The reason I went for the Dynamo to begin with and am looking only at the PC-2000s now is that I just cannot stomach the weight of most ported subs (at least ones big enough to care about).

(3) It wouldn't exactly be convenient to take back the Dynamo, but it is doable. However, if I didn't end up liking the PC-2000s as much (or didn't think they were worth the extra expense), I don't believe I could then get the same deal on the Dynamo.

I think I am generally inclined to leave well enough alone, as I am very pleased with the Dynamo. But I figured I would ask since I haven't had the chance to (and won't get the chance) to listen to dual PC-2000s. If the differences would be subtle, I'll stay put. But if the consensus is that dual PC-2000s would be an immense improvement, I might consider giving them a try. Thanks in advance!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hey tall one. Interesting questions. It is my opinion that the PC2K for a few reasons, would be a better investment. Looking at the numbers for the 1500x(older version I believe)it’s not bad for a sealed sub, but it’s typical. Earlier roll off without a ton of deep bass extension. That’s a small area so you could benefit from room gain, but subwoofers see the whole of a space. So pressurization takes a lot more when you consider that. The whole of your space is very big, and I’m assuming it’s on a concrete slab. Concrete eats TR(tactile response) so ported subs will be more affective.
If your looking at the PC2k pro version, imo a pair would be an upgrade easily. Especially for movies. The differences at first might seem subtle, but I think once you start playing movies with good extension, it will be clear. Plus as you mentioned duals will be better. You can expect 3-6db extra output (over a single)while potentially smoothing out the FR. Again as you mentioned, they’re much lighter and easier to find good homes for. I also like their style and the app control with three bands of EQ is great.
For my money, yes the pc’s win, and we also can’t forget about SVS’s legendary CS and bill of rights with trade/upgrade program.
The dynamo does have ARC and app control as well, but if you can place them well and have an AVR with audyssey xt32 with sub eq, it might be unnecessary. It is a very nice subwoofer but I think you’ll find the pc’s to be better. Naturally I’d also recommend a measurement mic like a U-mik1 and a free measurement software REW to maximize your investment.
Ok coffee.....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
You were already given advice about this on your first original post when you joined the Forum. But

you-can-lead-horse-to-water-you-cannot-make-him-drink-motivational-inspirational-poster-repres...jpg

Last edited:
T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
Hey tall one. Interesting questions. It is my opinion that the PC2K for a few reasons, would be a better investment. Looking at the numbers for the 1500x(older version I believe)it’s not bad for a sealed sub, but it’s typical. Earlier roll off without a ton of deep bass extension. That’s a small area so you could benefit from room gain, but subwoofers see the whole of a space. So pressurization takes a lot more when you consider that. The whole of your space is very big, and I’m assuming it’s on a concrete slab. Concrete eats TR(tactile response) so ported subs will be more affective.
If your looking at the PC2k pro version, imo a pair would be an upgrade easily. Especially for movies. The differences at first might seem subtle, but I think once you start playing movies with good extension, it will be clear. Plus as you mentioned duals will be better. You can expect 3-6db extra output (over a single)while potentially smoothing out the FR. Again as you mentioned, they’re much lighter and easier to find good homes for. I also like their style and the app control with three bands of EQ is great.
For my money, yes the pc’s win, and we also can’t forget about SVS’s legendary CS and bill of rights with trade/upgrade program.
The dynamo does have ARC and app control as well, but if you can place them well and have an AVR with audyssey xt32 with sub eq, it might be unnecessary. It is a very nice subwoofer but I think you’ll find the pc’s to be better. Naturally I’d also recommend a measurement mic like a U-mik1 and a free measurement software REW to maximize your investment.
Ok coffee.....
Thanks so much. All very helpful. I think I will try to get the two PC-2000 Pros. Depends on when I can get them and so forth, but seems like it is worth the risk/inconvenience.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Now you should start reading up on Dual sub placements SVS has a lot of information online about placement how to calibrate dual subs

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'd go with duals over the single (or get another 1600X). "Auditioning" subs, particularly in stores, isn't going to tell you a lot.

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
I'd go with duals over the single (or get another 1600X). "Auditioning" subs, particularly in stores, isn't going to tell you a lot.
I have in fact worked it out so that I have time to compare. I ordered the PC-2000 Pros, and we'll see which settles the foundation better, then I'll return the other(s). (Honestly if I had realized I could do this I wouldn't have even bothered asking on here, but oh well, such is life. Excited to see what the PC-2000s can do, given their specs/reviews.)

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
Yeah I nee
Now you should start reading up on Dual sub placements SVS has a lot of information online about placement how to calibrate dual subs
Yeah I need to figure this out. With a single sub I understand pretty well how to figure out where to put it, but with dual subs in a weirdly shaped space I am... less sure.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Subwoofer crawl: look for the best performing 2-3 spots in the room, regardless of where that might be. Figure out after if you can put the sub there.
Armed with that placement information, you are already a step ahead in getting the subs set up.
Also consider Geddes technique for multiple subs rather than the standard approach of corner loading, front wall, 1/4 wall, etc... that old school approach can work, but the Welti/Devantier approach is best suited to a closed room with regular boundaries.
Geddes’ technique takes into account the the best performing locations aren’t always symmetrical. It even encourages getting the subs off the front wall altogether as you already have two speakers that may be providing LF content. :)

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
Subwoofer crawl: look for the best performing 2-3 spots in the room, regardless of where that might be. Figure out after if you can put the sub there.
Armed with that placement information, you are already a step ahead in getting the subs set up.
Also consider Geddes technique for multiple subs rather than the standard approach of corner loading, front wall, 1/4 wall, etc... that old school approach can work, but the Welti/Devantier approach is best suited to a closed room with regular boundaries.
Geddes’ technique takes into account the the best performing locations aren’t always symmetrical. It even encourages getting the subs off the front wall altogether as you already have two speakers that may be providing LF content. :)
Thanks, I'll look into all of that. And yeah I understood the sub crawl for a single sub, wasn't sure if it was doable with multiples.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As always, ymmv, but when it comes to identifying placements that perform well, acoustically, I think the Crawl is just as valid.
It will tell you if there is a null, or you can hear in advance if it will be boomy or muddy.
You may well still have to fine tune the placements, but short of spending hours with REW, I think you can get 80% of the way there by just looking at the acoustic performance.
REW measurements can come later.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
The best is what they're going to do for your speakers in my opinion your speakers are going to become brand new to you. When you dial in what crossover to use

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
The best is what they're going to do for your speakers in my opinion your speakers are going to become brand new to you. When you dial in what crossover to use
Interesting. Why exactly is this? Because of our ears (i.e., better bass makes us pick up mid/highs better) or because they are offloading the heavy lifting down low? Both? Something else?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Interesting. Why exactly is this? Because of our ears (i.e., better bass makes us pick up mid/highs better) or because they are offloading the heavy lifting down low? Both? Something else?
Kind of a little bit of everything you've stated in my opinion. You pick the right crossover and the speaker drivers have less information to process.

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
So I finally got the two SVS PC-2000 Pros and the Denon receiver, and for posterity's sake, thought I would let future forum inquirers know:

I am keeping the SVS subs (or at least one--not sure yet whether I will keep the second). The Dynamo1600x is great, and if you can get a really good deal on it, I would highly recommend. But (a) $2000 would be crazy to spend for this sub (I spent $1350 and I think that is a little high, too) and (b) unsurprisingly, it can't match the low-bass output of the SVS PC-2000; it was pretty obvious. It is not a subtle difference. In the mid bass, the Dynamo is fantastic, but at least for my movie-watching tastes, the extra oomph from the SVS is more important.

I do have a few questions for anyone interested, relating to the subs and Audyssey, which I did not have before getting the Denon 3700 last week.

(1) Is it normal for Audyssey to put the subwoofers waaaaay down? I had to have the gain on one at -30 db and the other at -22 dbs to get into the range that Audyssey approved, and the receiver still put the subs down another 7db itself. I then turn the subs' gain back up after I am done with Audyssey, but does this indicate something is wrong? Should I handle this another way? (Like leaving the gain up, regardless of Audyssey's preferences, during the test?) It checked around and it seems like this might happen to other people as well because Audyssey is just trying to match db levels, but it seems odd, nonetheless.

(2) This is sort of a silly question, but can moving one of the subs about two or three feet from the corner make a huge difference? I got excellent response when I put the first sub in the front left corner. Just to see if I could, I move it about two feet inward for aesthetic purposes. That also allowed me to move my tower speakers further apart (they were a bit too close before, I think) and so I ran Audyssey again. The bass seems a bit less authoritative now, and I am wondering if I am just imagining things, if Audyssey changed something drastic (although I don't think it did), or if, yes, moving it two or three feet away from the corner really can make that much of a difference. I assume the latter, and I am going to move it back and try again, just wanted to see if that is really a thing.

(3) This is more a question for curiosity's sake, but what is the advantage of, say, a PC-4000 (or PB-4000) as compared to a 2000? Is it just filling up bigger rooms? I can't imagine ever needing more volume than what the PC-2000 Pro is providing in my large-ish basement (albeit, with a low ceiling, only about 8 ft). If anything, I have to hold them back lest I annoy the neighborhood. I haven't ever tried such a large sub in my basement of course, but I am just wondering what extra value it would have (if any), or if it is really just a matter of using it for a bigger space.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
So I finally got the two SVS PC-2000 Pros and the Denon receiver, and for posterity's sake, thought I would let future forum inquirers know:

I am keeping the SVS subs (or at least one--not sure yet whether I will keep the second). The Dynamo1600x is great, and if you can get a really good deal on it, I would highly recommend. But (a) $2000 would be crazy to spend for this sub (I spent $1350 and I think that is a little high, too) and (b) unsurprisingly, it can't match the low-bass output of the SVS PC-2000; it was pretty obvious. It is not a subtle difference. In the mid bass, the Dynamo is fantastic, but at least for my movie-watching tastes, the extra oomph from the SVS is more important.

I do have a few questions for anyone interested, relating to the subs and Audyssey, which I did not have before getting the Denon 3700 last week.

(1) Is it normal for Audyssey to put the subwoofers waaaaay down? I had to have the gain on one at -30 db and the other at -22 dbs to get into the range that Audyssey approved, and the receiver still put the subs down another 7db itself. I then turn the subs' gain back up after I am done with Audyssey, but does this indicate something is wrong? Should I handle this another way? (Like leaving the gain up, regardless of Audyssey's preferences, during the test?) It checked around and it seems like this might happen to other people as well because Audyssey is just trying to match db levels, but it seems odd, nonetheless.

(2) This is sort of a silly question, but can moving one of the subs about two or three feet from the corner make a huge difference? I got excellent response when I put the first sub in the front left corner. Just to see if I could, I move it about two feet inward for aesthetic purposes. That also allowed me to move my tower speakers further apart (they were a bit too close before, I think) and so I ran Audyssey again. The bass seems a bit less authoritative now, and I am wondering if I am just imagining things, if Audyssey changed something drastic (although I don't think it did), or if, yes, moving it two or three feet away from the corner really can make that much of a difference. I assume the latter, and I am going to move it back and try again, just wanted to see if that is really a thing.

(3) This is more a question for curiosity's sake, but what is the advantage of, say, a PC-4000 (or PB-4000) as compared to a 2000? Is it just filling up bigger rooms? I can't imagine ever needing more volume than what the PC-2000 Pro is providing in my large-ish basement (albeit, with a low ceiling, only about 8 ft). If anything, I have to hold them back lest I annoy the neighborhood. I haven't ever tried such a large sub in my basement of course, but I am just wondering what extra value it would have (if any), or if it is really just a matter of using it for a bigger space.
There’s been so much written about these questions... just on AH alone, much less the other forums out there. :)
For the most part, everything you describe is pretty normal.
Sub gain is usually recommended to start at about 50% and adjust from there. Audyssey is having you target about 72dB iirc. Having your gain down and trim down gives you a lot of headroom for dynamic peaks.
The other thing you will see is the distance for your sub is different. This is Audyssey managing delay for al the signals. I find that Audyssey does a very good job of this and recommend leaving them as Aud sets them.

You mentioned corner loading. This placement will augment the sound of the subwoofer, but may also create some boomy/muddy qualities. If I put a sub in the corner of my room it is almost unlistenable.
Every bodies room is different, even if you are in a closed rectangular shape. There are different ways of dealing with the acoustics in your room. I favor the Geddes approach to placement and multiple subs.
He recommends strategic asymmetric placement where the subs will excite as many room modes as possible to help eliminate any nulls or cancellations. He also recommends getting the subs away from your mains, as they are likely producing some low frequencies of their own, even crossed at 80.
By distributing your LF sources around the room you are able to smooth out you bass response across many seats and improve the overall experience...
Which leads me to your second sub:
Keep it!!! For the love of all that’s holy, keep it. ;)
Learn to set them up right and take advantage of the acoustic boon it will offer.
Anyway... moving a speaker(sub included) even a couple inches can make a significant difference in performance. Likewise, moving your LP. Acoustics is a fickle mistress.
If you are serious about maximizing you HT and Musical enjoyment; getting the most out of the gear and this hobby: learn about acoustics! You don’t have to master it, get a degree in wave theory... but just learn how sound works in a room. I like the Master Handbook of Acoustics... lots of good info there and a valuable resource.
Master Handbook of Acoustics, Sixth Edition https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071841040/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_VMKZFb6Z1DFFG

Lastly, the 4000 series subs are larger drivers and boxes. The larger driver is able to move more air (greater displacement) and thus requires a larger box, which is also tuned to a lower frequency (giving you lower extension).
Where the 2000 series is rated for medium to large rooms, the 4000 series is rated for large to extreme rooms. Performance will increase accordingly: higher output, more headroom, deeper extension...
It can be nice to have more sub than you need, especially multiples.
That said, if you really wanted a bigger sub but find the budget for the 4000 series too high, consider Hsu subs. Two of their VTF3s cost less than 1 PC4000, iirc. ;)

For now, though, I recommend you take some time to get to know the Subs you just got. Do the subwoofer crawl and learn about how Bass Frequencies actually perform in your room, and where the best locations are for placing the Subs. If you do this with an open mind, you may be very surprised at the results.
Also, an often overlooked aspect of high quality subs is that they are subtle. Usually, it is distortion that you hear and most people come to expect. When you remove distortions from the equation, you almost think the sub isn’t working... until all the sudden your foundation starts to settle! :p

Hope this helps!

T

TheTallOne89

Audioholic Intern
Thanks. I know there is a ton out there, these are mostly sanity check questions. I have been reading quite a bit about placement, etc., which is why I assumed a few feet really can matter, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
One thing about sub level. I haven't had a commercial plate amp sub needing more than 1/3 gain, usually less. So normal experience in that regard. That it was still setting your sub level in the negative range is just to adjust for your gain setting, which for the results sounds just fine. Many do raise sub level after running Audyssey as many simply want a bit more bass than a flat response provides. Using Dynamic EQ can help but I'd not use Dynamic Volume.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis