Dynamic Volume vs Dynamic Compression

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It's a Marantz 6014. The dynamic compression options is found where William noted above; Setup->Audio->Sound Parameter (I don't recall off hand if it is directly in there or further under Loudness Management).

Default is Loudness Management On, but Dynamic Compression is off. I don't think it even appears as an option unless there is an active Dolby Digital+, Atmos, etc. signal.
Made me go look at my Denon 4520 manual as that page about dynamic compression looked familiar....that's a feature of Dolby True HD specifically per my manual. I don't have an Atmos unit so your implementation could be wider....

ps But think in my Onkyo I do have a separate compression option when not using Audyssey's....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My options there are-
Cinema EQ
Center Spread
That's it. Both off and on. Same with Audyssey on or off. Do I need to be in pure/direct?
I wonder if it’s not available on the 6011???
When you turn loudness management ON, it opens the DRC options from low high and auto. I happen to be watching dish network so I have a DD signal atm.
I think it’s either the DD, or the 6011 is before they added the option. In any case, Fukk DRC in general. Can’t remember thread I found that info in, but it was very informative. Maybe I’ll find it later...

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Made me go look at my Denon 4520 manual as that page about dynamic compression looked familiar....that's a feature of Dolby True HD specifically per my manual. I don't have an Atmos unit so your implementation could be wider....

ps But think in my Onkyo I do have a separate compression option when not using Audyssey's....
That was my first thought as ryanosaur said, maybe it was intended as an option for non-Audyssey users.
Anyway, seems I find new things every time I look through the manual.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I use Dynamic EQ but never Dynamic volume. No thanks on whatever that does.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That was my first thought as ryanosaur said, maybe it was intended as an option for non-Audyssey users.
Anyway, seems I find new things every time I look through the manual.
Takes a while. Then you forget without reviewing the manual again :)

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
When dbx is setup properly, its freaken awesome. Yamaha incoporated dbx2 as well as the standard Dolby B and C NR systems on alot of their higher end cassette decks. I have 5 decks with dbx2 and it was a godsend for cassettes. It doesnt matter which deck I used to record with dbx, the sound is phenominal on all 5 decks.
I wasn't dumping on it, I liked it. I never owned anything with it, but I never locked into cassette as a major medium, either. Done right, cassettes can sound really good. I have a few that were recorded on a Nakamichi and they sound great.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I wasn't dumping on it, I liked it. I never owned anything with it, but I never locked into cassette as a major medium, either. Done right, cassettes can sound really good. I have a few that were recorded on a Nakamichi and they sound great.
Good morning ,

Not saying you were dumping so please excuse me if I gave you that impression. :)

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks. I actually didn't even realize there was a Dynamic Compression option until I came across it in the manual. It seemed odd to me as I thought that was essentially what Dynamic Volume did and I couldn't understand why they would have both. And I just checked and it seems like you can set both of them on at the same time - although I don't know why anyone would.

I haven't played with it yet to see what it does differently, if anything.
It’s for night listening I think , on onkyo high I go is light ...audysee
I’d keep it off unless it’s needed for your auto eq adjustments...
keeps volume the same so loud peaks don’t wake everyone up ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis