Dynamic Volume - Marantz/Denon

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That's what I thought, but figured I would ask. I'll check the manual and see what macros may be available as lovinthehd suggested. I also have a Harmony remote, so I realized that there may be some ways to configure that to make automatic changes in the setup menu based on particular content.
Yeah the harmony might offer some other choices. I also have a harmony remote, but never use DV or Deq. Even if I change surround modes(DSU or DTSX) it’s not very often so...

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
Most of the content I watch is streaming using a Roku as the input. Is there any way to set up different presets within the same input so that I could have dynamic volume on for certain types of content and off for others? And a similar question with respect to dynamic EQ. Can I set it for on and off and/or with different offsets, for example if I am using a Blu-ray player for both movies and music?
I was assuming I would have to make those adjustments manually before watching or listening to particular content.
The 4 smart select buttons might be able to do that, read up on it in the manual to see what they can do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
The 4 smart select buttons might be able to do that, read up on it in the manual to see what they can do.

Seems like this might be a possibility. I guess these are the presets that lovinthehd was referring to.

I'll have to try it out. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2020-11-05 at 1.31.21 PM.png

E

Erod

Audioholic
A better solution is to turn DV off, lower your volume, and turn up your center channel as needed.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I was watching a show on Amazon Prime through my Roku last night and was having problems with the dialog. I tried Dynamic EQ with a -10 reference offset, Dynamic Volume on Light, Audyssey on Reference and flat and off. I couldn't get it to something I found satisfactory.

The problem was that every time surround information became somewhat more active, the center channel dialog receded -- and I don't mean just got covered up by the surrounds (which it did), but actually seemed to get softer as if there wasn't enough power going to it and the volume pulled back. I tried turning up the center channel volume/trim, but it actually was too loud on some passages and then would get too soft on others. I was only watching at around -22 - -25 db, and there is plenty of power given my space, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

I need to continue to do more experimenting, and it is possible it was even something peculiar to the mix of that show, but is there anything you can think of that I should change in settings or try? I want to make sure that there isn't something wrong with the unit.

Thanks.

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I was watching a show on Amazon Prime through my Roku last night and was having problems with the dialog. I tried Dynamic EQ with a -10 reference offset, Dynamic Volume on Light, Audyssey on Reference and flat and off. I couldn't get it to something I found satisfactory.

The problem was that every time surround information became somewhat more active, the center channel dialog receded -- and I don't mean just got covered up by the surrounds (which it did), but actually seemed to get softer as if there wasn't enough power going to it and the volume pulled back. I tried turning up the center channel volume/trim, but it actually was too loud on some passages and then would get too soft on others. I was only watching at around -22 - -25 db, and there is plenty of power given my space, so that really shouldn't be a problem.

I need to continue to do more experimenting, and it is possible it was even something peculiar to the mix of that show, but is there anything you can think of that I should change in settings or try? I want to make sure that there isn't something wrong with the unit.

Thanks.
Lower the surrounds a bit, might help but sounds like from what you are writing that the show could be at fault. Still, lots of programs like that so always good to find things that help when needed. What sound mode are you using and what is the signal coming in?

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Lower the surrounds a bit, might help but sounds like from what you are writing that the show could be at fault. Still, lots of programs like that so always good to find things that help when needed. What sound mode are you using and what is the signal coming in?

I just have it set to auto. The signal said Dolby, Dolby Digital. Sound said Dolby, Dolby Digital + Surround.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Just a thought, but if you have your crossover at 80 for all speakers, you can move the center further to 100 or 120hz and in combination with level adjustments on the center or surrounds may help. My center is rated close to my other speakers but I have mine at 100hz after trying both 80 and 120hz.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Just a thought, but if you have your crossover at 80 for all speakers, you can move the center further to 100 or 120hz and in combination with level adjustments on the center or surrounds may help. My center is rated close to my other speakers but I have mine at 100hz after trying both 80 and 120hz.
They are set to 80. It's worth testing out. Thanks.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis