A

Adam41591

Audioholic Intern
So if you're like me you're sick & tired of putting a CD into your player with a big grin on your face only to be disappointed by how fruggin loud it is. Your face probably looks like this at first, :D, then, :confused:, then :(, and finally :mad:. Anyway, I wanted to start a new thread to find really great, dynamic sounding albums. Remember the records can be of any genre, as long as you keep it to Redbook cds. I'm sure someone would more than happy to start a different thread for Vinyl & SACD. Just to be clear, It's not that I don't think there are a lot of great albums that are too loud. Remember, it's not the music I'm criticizing, just the mastering. Take for instance the The Nationals album, Boxer. It was clearly mastered too loud & yet I've had it on repeat constantly. Anyway, on to the point of this thread. I started learning about "The loudness wars" a few weeks ago, & ever since then I've started hunting down so called "quiet records". Now quiet doesn't refer to the type of music, rather the cds ability to convey the artists original intent. Sorry if I seem a little vague. Maybe someone out there who has a better way with words could try and clarify my intent. To summarize, I'd be thrilled if we could start a list that could stand as a "go to" for those who are just starting to understand the loudness wars & want to hear what an album is supposed to sound like. Here's my short list.

When Harry Met Sally ~ Harry Connick Jr.
Italia ~ Chris Botti
Chris Botti in Boston
New Favorite ~ Alison Krauss + Union Station
The Covers Record ~ Cat Power
Mark Hollis ~ Mark Hollis (A very quiet recording)
My One & Only Thrill ~ Melody Gardot
Surfer Rosa ~ The Pixies
Best I & Best II ~ The Smiths
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot ~ Wilco
The Return of The King ~ Howard Shore
(The Lord of the Rings trilogy sounds amazing, it's just ROTK is my personal favorite)

BTW, I'm starting to think film scores might be some of the most impressive demo material out there.

Just remember boys & girls, have fun.;)

A

alienpi

Audiophyte
I definitely agree with the Melody Gardot: My One and Only Thrill album. It's a very nice recording, and IMO surpasses Diana Krall: The Very Best of, which undoubtedly can be categorized as a non-loud recording.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Janis Ian, incredible sounding CD. Dynamics are awesome. I would like to hear this on vinyl.

Last edited:
M

Mijoci

Audiophyte
[1986] - Ornella Vanoni - Ornella &...

Has a very high dynamic range. It sounds natural and " analog ".

<script src='http://img151.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=frontev.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis