Dynamic EQ and equivalent for Yamaha

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I did this with 1070 and a860 with no noise and from scratch and they always set speakers to large.
http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-setup/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple

Your receiver set them to large base on their frequency response in your particular room and that is probably the right thing for them to do. You did the right thing setting them to small manually after running YPAO.

For some reasons, most people seem to prefer exaggerated bass. If the room EQ system does the right thing, and hopefully they all do, they would try to EQ your system in your room to produce the flattest possible response. I believe that's the main reason why a lot of people complain about the lack of bass after running YPAO or Audyssey. Users of the less poplular software such as Dirac Live or even Anthem ARC typically don't complain because they typically can see the FR plots and know what's going on.

pcosmic

pcosmic

Senior Audioholic
YPAO volume (adaptive eq) can help you crank it up less and help retain what little of your hearing you may have left!

On Yamaha receivers, when you turn YPAO volume on, it also turns on "Adaptive DRC" as well by default. Adaptive DRC may be the reason most people think this feature sounds like ass. Disable Adaptive DRC and use YPAO volume on its own. It actually is a very useful and nice sounding feature imho when you're listening at lower volumes.

YPAO volume saves my marriage from time to time.

P.S Don't let a receiver do parametric eq automatically. TREAT YOUR ROOM and do the parametric eq manually. Yes, it takes time to get things right. There's no quick solution in this business.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis