DVR Alternative & 2nd room

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
After 6 weeks or so without cable, I decided that losing reception when ever the wind blew was frustrating and it was time to go back to 'paid' tv.

I decided to go with Directv. When they say you get stuff for free; DVR, HD, blah, blah, yeah, it's not true. The HD/DVR capable receiver is free, but the service is an extra $10.00 a month. I guess it's all phrasing and semantics in the small print...:rolleyes:

Anyway...

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion for a DVR? I'm familiar with Tivo, but I think that's $10.00 a month as well.

At $6.00 a month for additional receivers I only have the one. Is there a way to get the signal to another room without having to watch the same channel on both tv's.?

Thanks!

Barry

Last edited:
Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Oh, Barry, say it ain't so! Why did you lose reception whenever the wind blew - was it trees in the way of the antenna, or was the antenna not secure? I used to have some issues with a couple of stations, but I went to two low-profile antennas (this RCA model) instead of my Channel Master 8-Bay (not really for the wind, but I think that they helped). Using an amp/preamp for me was essential (I have the Channel Master 7777).

Anyway...I don't know if Directv has any sort of copy protection on their video outputs or not.

As for getting two different stations from the same box, do you have a dual-tuner Directv receiver? It has to have more than one tuner to be able to watch more than one station (or record something different than what you're watching).

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, Barry, say it ain't so! Why did you lose reception whenever the wind blew - was it trees in the way of the antenna, or was the antenna not secure? I used to have some issues with a couple of stations, but I went to two low-profile antennas (this RCA model) instead of my Channel Master 8-Bay (not really for the wind, but I think that they helped). Using an amp/preamp for me was essential (I have the Channel Master 7777).

Anyway...I don't know if Directv has any sort of copy protection on their video outputs or not.

As for getting two different stations from the same box, do you have a dual-tuner Directv receiver? It has to have more than one tuner to be able to watch more than one station (or record something different than what you're watching).
I'm not sure why the I would lose reception. I would lose the signal if it were windy, or very sunny and clear. I have 5 mature maple trees around my house, but I can't think of any other cause for the interference. On partly cloudy or calm days, things were fine.

I'm SOL, single line receiver. Oh well...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis