DVI vs Component vs S-Video

S

Syd

<font color='#000000'>My new HDTV, HD satellite, and DVD has the option of using these three inputs/outputs. &nbsp;The TV has one DVI, 3 component, and 2 S-Video inputs. &nbsp;Which cable(s) offers the best quality video? &nbsp;Since the TV has only one DVI input, which device (HD satellite or DVD) should use it?

Thanks for your advice.</font>

jeffsg4mac

jeffsg4mac

Republican Poster Boy
<font color='#000000'>Use the DVI for the HD satellite and compenent for the DVD player.</font>

E

ED27

Audioholic Intern
<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>
Syd : <font color='#000000'>My new HDTV, HD satellite, and DVD has the option of using these three inputs/outputs.  The TV has one DVI, 3 component, and 2 S-Video inputs.  Which cable(s) offers the best quality video?  Since the TV has only one DVI input, which device (HD satellite or DVD) should use it?

Thanks for your advice.</font>
<font color='#000000'>What TV do you have? &nbsp;It's hard to see the difference between DVI and component connections with HD sources on a CRT-based rear projection set. &nbsp;DLP and LCD rear projection units will show slight differences. &nbsp;It might be better to use the DVI for the DVD player instead. &nbsp;I would recommend to try it out both ways and see what makes the biggest improvement. &nbsp;Use a good calibration DVD (i.e. Avia or Digital Video Essentials).

Another alternative is to use something like DVDO HD. &nbsp;It will pass through any HD signal but upconvert any other signal (http://dvdo.com/documents/DVDO_iScan_HD_datasheet4.pdf). &nbsp;Using the Iscan HD, you can feed all of you video sources into one unit and just use one DVI output to your TV. &nbsp;The downside is that it won't switch analog audio - it will switch digital audio though so if you always use your receiver, you won't have a problem.</font>

I

ih8bush

Audiophyte
Use the DVI connections for both your Sat and DVD. Get a DVI switcher, this will avoid the problem of going digital to analog and back to digital.

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
jeffsg4mac said:
<font color='#000000'>Use the DVI for the HD satellite and compenent for the DVD player.</font>
I second this recommendation. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis