DVI or HDMI equipped AVR receivers: is it worth to wait?

S

seddon12

Audiophyte
I have recently purchased Samsung P5063W DLP TV and Samsung 841 DVD which have DVI output... I am now ready to buy AVR receiver... Previously, i did not use home theater and was quite satisfied with my Rotel (CD player RCD971 + preamp RC970BX+ power amp RB971)system plus PSB 800 speakers.

I need a system capable of drivng home theater system, but here is a problem - all receivers (with exception of Denon AVR-5805 wich is way out of my budget) do not use DVI or HDMI connections..

Question: Should i buy a decent AVR without DVI or HDMI and connect my DVD directly to TV via DVI, and DVD audio to AVR...or to buy something cheap and wait until AVRs with DVI or HDMI will hit the market?

If advise it not to wait, what would be suggestions considering that i will be using audio/tv 50:50 and do not want to decrease quality of the sound comparing to my Rotel system... The budget is around $800-1000.

Any advise will be appreciated!

B

BuddTX

Audioholic
Not the ultimate expert but . . .

It sounds like you have a nice system already.

"(Rotel) preamp RC970BX+ power amp RB971"

Unless the Rotel is missing some Sound Processing signals that you want, or you are just itching to get a new system, I would wait.

I think the next year or two is going to be a big boom in AV receivers and pre/processors, as well as all other equipment.

I was in a similar position, I was "fixin't" (as we say in Texas) make the jump to high end equipment, but I was happy with my current receiver, then lightening struck, literally! I HAD to buy a new receiver, at once, and I choose to go to a Pioneer VSX-1014 9(about 400 bucks online) and wait a year or two, and see what new comes out.

Then I am going to move this receiver into the bedroom.

Actually, I am quite pleased with the 1014, and am do not feel like I "settled" on something less, and I did save some money too.

It seems that HT equipment, is like computers, no matter what you buy, in a year or two, it wil be obsolete anyway.

A

Aliixer

Audioholic
receiver

If you need to upgrade go ahead and do it. Unless you really need video switching, I would directly connect the video from the dvd to the tv and bypass the receiver all together. Plus when the mainstream dvi and hdmi receivers hit the market they will be reserved for flagship anyway, not within your 1000.00 budget. So with that said go with the middle of the line yamaha or denon to suffice your needs and enjoy......

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
Any additional connections only add to your chances of problems. Hook your video right to the TV and spend that extra $ 800 getting some DVD's and CD's you've been holding out on. No loss in sound quality and more toys to play with.....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis