B

brijar92

Audiophyte
I'm new at this. I recently purchased a 46" DLP Samsung TV and an LG model LST-3510A HDTV receiver. I'm looking to purchase a AVR. My TV and HDTV receiver both have DVI inputs and outputs, but I notice most of the AVRs I'm looking at don't have DVI inputs or outputs.

Can I simply plug my DVI cables (on order) into the TV DVI Input and Reciever DVI Output and skip running it through the AVR I plan on buying? Would that cause problems?

I would think I'd be seeing a lot of AVRs with DVI ports. What's the deal?

Thanks,

Brijar92

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
DVI direct to TV

It's no problem to connect your set-top box (STB) directly to the DVI input of your HDTV. The problem comes in when you (may) also want to run a DVD DVI output to the same HDTV (unless, of course, it has 2 DVI inputs). The main reason for the input/outputs in an amplifier/receiver (AVR) is that it allows convenient switching between the vaious possible input components. Since my AVR has no DVI switching and my HDTV has only one DVI input, I purchased a remote-controlled switching device (Gefen Products from Ram Electronics) to do all my DVI switching. Hope this helps.

B

brijar

Audiophyte
That does help. My HDTV receiver/DVD player combo integrates both into one DVI output that would go to the TV. I'm supposing I can control the switching using the combo's remote.

Is it possible that I could create lip sync problems by bypassing the AVR with the DVI cable?

Thanks,
James

E

ebough

Junior Audioholic
I strongly doubt you would have any lip-synch problems. I have never experienced it with my system.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis