DVI cable in wall / booster needed

N

newtone

Audiophyte
Have about a 35 foot cable run and a DVI-I connection on the DVD player (Samsung HD841). Not sure what will be on the plasma, I believe its DVI-D. The cables that I have heard are best for long runs are from Ram electronics and are DVI-D.

Do these cables need to be UL / CL3 rated to run through walls without conduit? Does anyone make this type of through wall cable or am I stuck installing conduit?

Do I lose anything going from DVI-I to DVI-D?

And last but not least, are the signal boosters any good for longer than 25 ft runs?

Thanks much, sorry for all of the questions.

Rob

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
This might help

newtone said:
Have about a 35 foot cable run and a DVI-I connection on the DVD player (Samsung HD841). Not sure what will be on the plasma, I believe its DVI-D. The cables that I have heard are best for long runs are from Ram electronics and are DVI-D.

Do these cables need to be UL / CL3 rated to run through walls without conduit? Does anyone make this type of through wall cable or am I stuck installing conduit?

Do I lose anything going from DVI-I to DVI-D?

And last but not least, are the signal boosters any good for longer than 25 ft runs?

Thanks much, sorry for all of the questions.

Rob
1. Any DVI-D cable will work, you don't have to buy it from Ram.

2. Buy a high quality cable, gold plating, RF and EMI shielding, a protective netting over the cable would be good if you are running it through walls.

3. DVI-I takes DVI-A and DVI-D (there are two types of DVI-D cables a single-link and a dual-link, the dual-link allows for a higher throughput than the single-link).

4. A 35ft. run should work, just keep it away from power lines and the like. If you find that the signal is not as good as you would like, you can try a DVI amplifier to boost the signal.

I hope that helped. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis