DVDs on the PS3 have only stereo

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Hi,

I rip dvds with dvd decrypter, HD DV Fab and any dvd but I can't seem to find any software that keeps the Dolby 5.1 track with the final copy...I play the dvds back on my PS3, using ps3 Video 9 to convert to Mp4 AVC:...is this losing the sound quality due to compression? Is there any way to preserve the DD track in mp4? Thanks a lot for your help:D

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
When you are ripping the disc you should have the option of choosing which audio tracks to select for the rip. Just make sure you choose only to keep the DTS or Dolby Digital track. Nero recode might be another option because it will analyze a disc let you know all the available audio tracks on the disc and you can pick and choose which you want to keep very easily. Also, I know AnyDVD will rip the original audio files as I have seen it done before.

This shouldn't be caused by the compression as the audio and video are compressed separately. Have you tried selecting a different audio type while the disc is running on the ps3? Maybe for some reason stereo is selected automatically and it need be switched to the other formats.

Also, have you tried putting these discs in a different DVD player and seeing what happens (also possibly trying to switch audio formats)?

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Yes I have tried every dolby option on my reciever, but none of these make the blue decoding lamp light up as it does when viewing a DVD with DD tracks...I'm sure I checked the PCM 5.1 Audio option in HD Fab Decrypter...not sure why this doesn't work. Yes the dvds all work in my Sony DVP-NC85H, with full 5.1 surround.

Last edited:
avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I meant change the audio option on the PS3. If you have the PS3 remote look on the left most column right under the eject button. There should be a button labeled "audio" press that and see if it switches from 2 channel to multichannel.

Do you have the PS3 set to output bitstream? It could be outputting a LPCM signal which would mean it decodes the DD or DTS itself.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
I meant change the audio option on the PS3. If you have the PS3 remote look on the left most column right under the eject button. There should be a button labeled "audio" press that and see if it switches from 2 channel to multichannel.

Do you have the PS3 set to output bitstream? It could be outputting a LPCM signal which would mean it decodes the DD or DTS itself.
Yes I have configured the PS3 for 5.1 DD and ACC decoding via the System Settings ...the audio button is the same deal right? The PS3 is set to Bitstream, dvds require this setting.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
Yes I have configured the PS3 for 5.1 DD and ACC decoding via the System Settings ...the audio button is the same deal right? The PS3 is set to Bitstream, dvds require this setting.
No the audio button will cycle through all the available audio tracks on the disc. So if you are listening in stereo and you hit the audio button if there is a DD or DTS track on the disc it will switch to whatever is next in line. I would suggest trying that. If it doesn't work look into getting nero recode as that is very easy to use.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
No the audio button will cycle through all the available audio tracks on the disc. So if you are listening in stereo and you hit the audio button if there is a DD or DTS track on the disc it will switch to whatever is next in line. I would suggest trying that. If it doesn't work look into getting nero recode as that is very easy to use.
I'm not playing back a dvd disc, the mp4 files are on the PS3 internal HDD, my PS3 works fine decoding dvd discs. There must be something wrong with the audio on my mp4 files.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When you rip and you don't have the menus, your only option is to cycle through the audio tracks while the movie is playing, as avaserfi mentioned. This is what happens to me too when I burn only portions of a disc.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
When you rip and you don't have the menus, your only option is to cycle through the audio tracks while the movie is playing, as avaserfi mentioned. This is what happens to me too when I burn only portions of a disc.
Right, i understand but do you have issues with the mp4 files if you store them on say a removable HDD drive and copy them to the ps3? I am not burning anything to disc, these are just MP4 files...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Haven't tried it, but I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Have you tried playing them directly from the drive? I think you are right that it is the files themselves and/or how they are being ripped.

Pwner_2130

Pwner_2130

Audioholic
Yes I have tried playing them off the HDD and off the internal HDD. (Probably wouldn't matter where they are located)) The files I get from dvds start as .VOB files in Windows and I use ps3 video 9 to convert them to mp4 -avc so the ps3 can recognize them. I have also tried playing the original dvd disc in the ps3 disc drive, and the DD surround worked fine. I think maybe it is a problem with ps3 video 9 not trans coding the DD sound correctly.:mad:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis