DVD video won't display on television

E

EPJasper

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha RX-V596 A/V receiver and a DVP-NC60P DVD player connected together as directed by the manuals using the RCA cables provided with the DVD player. The receiver is connected to the TV using an optical cable. The DVD audio plays correctly thru the speakers but the DVD video doesn't display on the television. Cincinnati Bell Fioptics is connected to the TV using HDMI1 and Roku is on HDMI2.
What am I missing??

L

Leemix

Audioholic General
I have a Yamaha RX-V596 A/V receiver and a DVP-NC60P DVD player connected together as directed by the manuals using the RCA cables provided with the DVD player. The receiver is connected to the TV using an optical cable. The DVD audio plays correctly thru the speakers but the DVD video doesn't display on the television. Cincinnati Bell Fioptics is connected to the TV using HDMI1 and Roku is on HDMI2.
What am I missing??
Remove the RCA and connect the dvd player with HDMI to the yamaha.
Analogue RCA is stereo sound only and a very old and not good way to connect dvd/bluray players.
The best way is usually just to connect everything to the receiver and use the TV just as a monitor.

Edit: just for clarification. The reciever should be connected to the tv with HDMI. Just as every source should be connected with HDMI to the reciever and not the tv. If you use any of the apps on the tv then optical from tv to reciever works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Are you using red, green, and blue RCAs known as component video from the player to the AVR? Your player does not use HDMI so run those 3 colour connectors directly into your TV. Select component video on the TV! The sound should go through the optical wire directly to the AVR.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Optical wire from DVD player output into AVR input not from TV as those component wires only transfer video signals!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Start at the beginning...

1. The optical cable is an AUDIO cable. It will take audio OUT of your TV and into the A/V receiver. It will not transmit video.
2. The receiver is very old and only has composite and S-video connections on it. This has largely been replaced by newer gear (by like, 20 years) which has HDMI connections on them. So, you are fighting antiquity.
3. The DVD player you have doesn't have HDMI on it as well, once again showing its age. It has composite VIDEO out (yellow), s-video out, component video out (red/green/blue), and optical digital audio out.

You should connect the component video out (red/green/blue) DIRECTLY to your TV. You didn't mention what type of TV that you have. But, refer to the TV manual and it likely requires a breakout cable and some settings to ensure your TV accepts component video input. Then switch your TV to the component video input to get video from the DVD player.

Audio from the DVD player should be connected to your Sony receiver using an optical audio cable for best results. Then put your receiver on the proper input for that digital audio connection.

You really will be fighting some old components here, and I'm not sure what capabilities your TV has for support of these legacy devices.

E

EPJasper

Audiophyte
Remove the RCA and connect the dvd player with HDMI to the yamaha.
Analogue RCA is stereo sound only and a very old and not good way to connect dvd/bluray players.
The best way is usually just to connect everything to the receiver and use the TV just as a monitor.

Edit: just for clarification. The reciever should be connected to the tv with HDMI. Just as every source should be connected with HDMI to the reciever and not the tv. If you use any of the apps on the tv then optical from tv to reciever works well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

E

EPJasper

Audiophyte
I solved my problem by connecting directly from the R/L/Video terminals on the DVD player to the equivalent component terminals on the television. To watch cable Hdmi1 is selected, Hdmi2 selects Roku, and AV selects the DVD Player using the television remote. The audio of the video source being viewed goes back to the A/V receiver via an optical cable plugged into a single video-capable channel.
Thanks for the responses.

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Bro, just upgraded your DVD player! Get a Blu Ray player! You can pickup a cheap one at Walmart for around 50 bucks. Even cheaper for a refurbish. You wouldn't get True HD or even MasterAudio or Atmos DTS-X with that ole DVD player you got a Yamaha A1080. Unless your just not going to buy video disc anyone.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Whatever he decides he should be using the optical audio out from DVD to AVR an not the stereo rca cables to the tv then optical from tv to AVR. The way he has it setup now is killing any hope for 5.1 discrete surround and at best may give Dolby prologic. Even his cable box if it had optical or digital coax should have its audio sent directly to the AVR. I understand sending video directly to the tv which makes the most sense in his situation. I agree he would be happier with a entry level bluray player with HDMI which shouldn’t cost more than around $70 including the HDMI wire. Hopefully he can find an entry level which upscales. I think he would be happier with a player that has apps like my Sony UBPx700. It offers audio only HDMI and HDMI for Audio/video. I found my player on sale for 179.99 Canadian when it usually retailed for 299.99 Canadian. I still use my Pioneer Elite 59AV-i for DVD’s, multi channel analog and DVD music but the Sony is great for either except 6 channel analog which it lacks. Amazing sometimes what 17 years can do in this industry but I think we are well past what our eyes and ears can perceive as higher Def and now it’s much more about saturation. More speakers(Dolby Atmos) better sound saturation, deeper colour on brighter displays make even my 1280x720 project look better than 1080p bluray and that’s streaming YouTube. But I grew up with VHS and DVD. Bluray Ray usually smokes the picture of DVD but audio is far less noticeable and for me with an apple to apple comparison I’ve noticed DVD doesn’t leave me wanting more that Bluray is suppose to deliver. I stand behind the fact that a properly setup 5.1 system or more subs when needed will give us all we could ever really desire which is loud beyond comfortable listening levels and still crystal clear even with compressed audio. They are running the electronics well dry and that is why more channels and more pixels are the new fantasy. It’s not needed to fully be satisfied with the home theatre/audio experience but these companies need to keep making money and that means using old tech and saturating it more so we the consumers can be fooled into believing that we need to spend money 3x to watch the same movies or audio discs in 3 different formats(DVD,Bluray,4K ultra) as the to the home recording formats changed. If you added all that money up the average DVD was $20 new, Bluray is $30, and 4K is $40. With tax that’s a $100 per flick. Multiply that by having a collection of 200+ discs and you get a lot. Not saying we by all three formats but it’s not uncommon to have with some discs we’ve loved and just needed to have. So yes the formats and tech has improved but it was never asked for by us the consumers. DVD was enough until someone got the greedy idea to upscale to Bluray and then again to 4K. I will stand with the fact the human need isn’t there! It’s fantasy in a room. Remember this point, people pay hundreds of dollars to get amazing seats at concerts to watch live and then use a 4-7 inch phone to record the show. Afterwards they show it off to friends and family. If they want to watch it through a 4-7 inch screen instead of live image how amazed that person must be when they view it on a 65+ inch Tv for the first time. That’s roughly a 10+ times larger viewing surface. It will sound amazing through the home theatre system to since they were so involved in recited show that they barely listened to the lyrics!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Whatever he decides he should be using the optical audio out from DVD to AVR an not the stereo rca cables to the tv then optical from tv to AVR. The way he has it setup now is killing any hope for 5.1 discrete surround and at best may give Dolby prologic. Even his cable box if it had optical or digital coax should have its audio sent directly to the AVR. I understand sending video directly to the tv which makes the most sense in his situation. I agree he would be happier with a entry level bluray player with HDMI which shouldn’t cost more than around $70 including the HDMI wire. Hopefully he can find an entry level which upscales. I think he would be happier with a player that has apps like my Sony UBPx700. It offers audio only HDMI and HDMI for Audio/video. I found my player on sale for 179.99 Canadian when it usually retailed for 299.99 Canadian. I still use my Pioneer Elite 59AV-i for DVD’s, multi channel analog and DVD music but the Sony is great for either except 6 channel analog which it lacks. Amazing sometimes what 17 years can do in this industry but I think we are well past what our eyes and ears can perceive as higher Def and now it’s much more about saturation. More speakers(Dolby Atmos) better sound saturation, deeper colour on brighter displays make even my 1280x720 project look better than 1080p bluray and that’s streaming YouTube. But I grew up with VHS and DVD. Bluray Ray usually smokes the picture of DVD but audio is far less noticeable and for me with an apple to apple comparison I’ve noticed DVD doesn’t leave me wanting more that Bluray is suppose to deliver. I stand behind the fact that a properly setup 5.1 system or more subs when needed will give us all we could ever really desire which is loud beyond comfortable listening levels and still crystal clear even with compressed audio. They are running the electronics well dry and that is why more channels and more pixels are the new fantasy. It’s not needed to fully be satisfied with the home theatre/audio experience but these companies need to keep making money and that means using old tech and saturating it more so we the consumers can be fooled into believing that we need to spend money 3x to watch the same movies or audio discs in 3 different formats(DVD,Bluray,4K ultra) as the to the home recording formats changed. If you added all that money up the average DVD was $20 new, Bluray is $30, and 4K is $40. With tax that’s a $100 per flick. Multiply that by having a collection of 200+ discs and you get a lot. Not saying we by all three formats but it’s not uncommon to have with some discs we’ve loved and just needed to have. So yes the formats and tech has improved but it was never asked for by us the consumers. DVD was enough until someone got the greedy idea to upscale to Bluray and then again to 4K. I will stand with the fact the human need isn’t there! It’s fantasy in a room. Remember this point, people pay hundreds of dollars to get amazing seats at concerts to watch live and then use a 4-7 inch phone to record the show. Afterwards they show it off to friends and family. If they want to watch it through a 4-7 inch screen instead of live image how amazed that person must be when they view it on a 65+ inch Tv for the first time. That’s roughly a 10+ times larger viewing surface. It will sound amazing through the home theatre system to since they were so involved in recited show that they barely listened to the lyrics!

Just think guys like Gene, ADTG, who have dedicated HT rooms. They have 10's of thousands invested. Than they come out with 13.2 Marantz unit has. Atmos, more speakers, more amps needed, more speaker wire, if your going to have a dedicated HT room why stop at 5.2.4? Go all the way add all the speakers like in a real theater. Get the Real theater screen, 65'! the real THX IMax feel at home.:p. lol.. but really I get your point, with the audio/video thing. I'm finding now that most people today don't even have a setup, what most have is a big tv with a soundbar if that a DVD hooked up to the tv and thats it. I ask you got this nice Samsung 65" where's you AVR or have you thought about getting one? All of them I ask this, usually say I don't want all them speakers around or it's to expensive and they're right. Whe you have to choose between a washer and dryer refrigerator or a AVR with speakers. :D

Last edited:
HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Sure you can go all out and have a room IMAX quality. The reality comes back to this point, if you never knew better existed and were already blown away with what you already have then what’s the problem? Are we trying to “out-blow” ourselves away? If that’s the case it’s time to go back to school and then become an astronaut to experience space in person to out do the IMAX home theatre room experience! A line has to be drawn at some point so draw one for yourself! Look at all the audiophiles that have spent thousands on just cables alone. Much more then the cost of most peoples entire home theatre setup! This keeping up with the jones’s isn’t an industry problem it’s an ego problem. How many people other then yourself really care about your home theatre let alone the quality of it? Most people use rooms for functional use with a basic TV and sometimes a surround setup. Who then is the manufacturer targeting? My 17 year old son had traded 10 phones to get to his iPhone 10, he is “never” satisfied with function. It’s his way of looking cool so great for him! Home theatres are cool too but at some point it’s just about bragging. Most people get impressed over a 100 watt sub with 400 watt peak corner loaded. The thought that a sub can be capable of shaking the whole house and hitting them with air from the driver excursion never crossed their minds. When they hear it usually they are blown away but then they go back to their 100 watt sub 400 watt peak and are happy. That’s another reason people go to the theatre for 10+ dollars to watch a movie. They are usually the 100 watt or less sub people. My sub belongs to the house shaker class hit you with the visceral experience so the commercial theatre doesn’t do it for me. My setup is 5.1 and other than for the sub and Bluray player it’s 15 years old. Despite what I read about new gear I cannot even turn my system beyond -15 for most movies/audio because my ears and house won’t take it any louder. That means “I” have discovered the performance limit I need in my home theatre experience with nothing left wanting and with headroom to spare. That’s a great achievement anyone should be happy with when they accomplish their performance limit!

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Sure you can go all out and have a room IMAX quality. The reality comes back to this point, if you never knew better existed and were already blown away with what you already have then what’s the problem? Are we trying to “out-blow” ourselves away? If that’s the case it’s time to go back to school and then become an astronaut to experience space in person to out do the IMAX home theatre room experience! A line has to be drawn at some point so draw one for yourself! Look at all the audiophiles that have spent thousands on just cables alone. Much more then the cost of most peoples entire home theatre setup! This keeping up with the jones’s isn’t an industry problem it’s an ego problem. How many people other then yourself really care about your home theatre let alone the quality of it? Most people use rooms for functional use with a basic TV and sometimes a surround setup. Who then is the manufacturer targeting? My 17 year old son had traded 10 phones to get to his iPhone 10, he is “never” satisfied with function. It’s his way of looking cool so great for him! Home theatres are cool too but at some point it’s just about bragging. Most people get impressed over a 100 watt sub with 400 watt peak corner loaded. The thought that a sub can be capable of shaking the whole house and hitting them with air from the driver excursion never crossed their minds. When they hear it usually they are blown away but then they go back to their 100 watt sub 400 watt peak and are happy. That’s another reason people go to the theatre for 10+ dollars to watch a movie. They are usually the 100 watt or less sub people. My sub belongs to the house shaker class hit you with the visceral experience so the commercial theatre doesn’t do it for me. My setup is 5.1 and other than for the sub and Bluray player it’s 15 years old. Despite what I read about new gear I cannot even turn my system beyond -15 for most movies/audio because my ears and house won’t take it any louder. That means “I” have discovered the performance limit I need in my home theatre experience with nothing left wanting and with headroom to spare. That’s a great achievement anyone should be happy with when they accomplish their performance limit!

Only one Sub? Really? Come on man! ADTG ;) got 10 Subs! each Sub has it's own dedicated amp! Yeah I stopped buy amps, just cause the only time I could tell the difference with my ears was past reference levels. At my age of 60 I want to be able to hear the bird singing to me outside when I'm sitting drinking my coffee. So sold off all my high powered high-dollar amps that never got used anyways. I did realize they were not needed unless I wanted to brag when someone would come over to my place. They would go, what that big black box down there? I'd go here let me show you, I'd crank up that baby, to +3 and watch them look at me like I was crazy! Needless to say they didn't stay long. They would usually say you spent how much! They go man you could have gotten a nice second-hand car or new motorcycle. Lolo..

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
That’s awesome. I love that when one buddy complains that at -20 it’s too loud and another likes to have their ears ringingafter. My dad went and replaced his sub after he heard mine
Funny how growing up his system was the system I thought was the beast only to discover how much I was a chip of the old block of his when I selected mine. Yes we definitely went over board with our gear but I don’t smoke, drink, of use any other recreational substances so this is where that money went to. I’m proud of my system. Really when done right it’s an amazing experience. At least my wife appreciates it when we watch a great movie like Aquaman. Anyway glad to know I’m not the only Home theatre Freak in my home

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
That’s awesome. I love that when one buddy complains that at -20 it’s too loud and another likes to have their ears ringingafter. My dad went and replaced his sub after he heard mine
Funny how growing up his system was the system I thought was the beast only to discover how much I was a chip of the old block of his when I selected mine. Yes we definitely went over board with our gear but I don’t smoke, drink, of use any other recreational substances so this is where that money went to. I’m proud of my system. Really when done right it’s an amazing experience. At least my wife appreciates it when we watch a great movie like Aquaman. Anyway glad to know I’m not the only Home theatre Freak in my home

Oh, I'm right there with you! :D I've spent tens of thousands myself over my career with this hobby! In about 4 months I'll be upgrading speakers, AVR, and Sub again! But I'll try to keep it modest this time. Like under 3K but knowing me? I'll spend that on speakers alone..

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
Hard to go backwards in this hobby! I would like to upgrade my processor from Anthem AVM 20 to AVM 60 but I am not in any rush. The only reason is for the HDMIs that my AVM 20 lacks which means I cannot actually output lossless audio formats. It’s not a necessity by any means to me as I wouldn’t part with the AVM 20 I’d find another room to employ it

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis