DVD SACD player recommendations

T

twoksl2

Audioholic Intern
hello all, i am looking for some advice in buying a new DVD player.
a little background on my system:
vienna acoustics beethoven fronts
vienna acoustics maestro center
B&K reference 50S2 pre-amp
adcom 3-channel amp

the ex-wife took the vienna rears and the denon 2910 DVD (evil witch)
now i am in the market to replace the DVD, i will re-buy the rears when funds come available.

i have a few SACD's (not many though)
the ref 50s2 does not have HDMI :-(

i have heard that the PS3 is actually a quality dvd player and also supports SACD, but i have no way to get the sound the the reciever. so i would be stuck with CD quality sound.

i am also thinking about a denon 2930 or 1930 and holding off on the ps3 for a while.

what do you all think i should do??? all opinions are very welcome..

thank you so much for your help, sorry if this post is somewhat dis-combobulated

-chris

think that the

skizzerflake

skizzerflake

Audioholic Field Marshall
Here's one I want somebody else to try before I buy one...I just got a copy of the Music Direct catalog (www.musicdirect.com on the web) and they are pushing a CD/DVD/DVDA/SACD player from "Oppo" for $149. Apparently they and Absolute Sound were very impressed. This is from a catalog that sells $20,000 turntables and hand carved wooden cartridges, not exactly a bargain house. It plays HDCDs, regular DVDs and other formats too, but does not do BlueRay or HDDVD.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
I'll have to second the recommendation for the Oppo. My DV-981HD does a great job with basically any disc you throw at it, and at a very resonable price ($229). I don't see what benefits you get for spending above $1000 on a DVD Player for what is SD content, at least to my eyes and ears.

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
I don't see what benefits you get for spending above $1000 on a DVD Player for what is SD content, at least to my eyes and ears.
i thought the same thing. i played a bunch of DVD-A's on my Oppo 971 before i bought my current unit. i did a bling comparison and could tell a noticable increase everytime.

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
One thing to realize about the Oppo line of dvd players is they are mainly designed for use with HDMI or DVI so I dont think they will work with your current pre-amp. I am not 100 percent about this but I can atest they are great disc players.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
One thing to realize about the Oppo line of dvd players is they are mainly designed for use with HDMI or DVI so I dont think they will work with your current pre-amp. I am not 100 percent about this but I can atest they are great disc players.
They do have Analog multi-channel pre-outs to carry SACD/DVD-A. I assumed his pre-amp would have multi channel inputs. I think the DV-970 has component outputs for video (can be hacked to upconvert).

T

twoksl2

Audioholic Intern
sorry for the long time for the response,
i would love to go for the oppo, problem is that the pre-amp dosn't have hdmi, it does however have 5.1 analog inputs. so unfort, the oppo's out, at least the 981. if the 970 has component and 5.1 outputs then that moght be a real possibility.

the integra, while a really good deal is a little out of my price range. i really need to stay under 1k.

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
What type of display is this DVD player going to be connected to? If you lack HDMI, there aren't many that upscale over component, due to CSS copywrite limitations. The 970HD does have component outputs, but can't upconvert to 1080p (1080i or 720p are no problem).

http://www.oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

I'm not trying to be an Oppo fanboy here :D, but I've personally been impressed by them and know plenty others who feel the same. You certainly can't argue with the price.

Your oher option may be another Denon 2910, especially if you were happy with your original unit. It's also a good idea to check over at AVSForums for some vast amounts of information about different types of players. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

T

twoksl2

Audioholic Intern
its a projector, 720p i believe, i havn't checked in a while though

B

Bassman2

Audioholic
I just got the 1930 and it's great for audio, I don't have a HD TV but the video was excellent on what I do have. The audio on regular CD's is quite good and very analog sounding to me. No high freq harshness that I thought was just part of the CD sound up til now. And much better bass and midrange depth than my last player.
And of course the SACD and DVD-A are wide, dynamic and crystal clear. When I first got it I popped in my first SACD, an Al Di Meola with some weird sound in the beginning of the first track like mechanical crickets or something, going around the room in astonishing detail. freaked me out for a second...:eek:
I got it for $220 factory refurbished but it's worth the $350 asking price IMO.

KC23

KC23

Audioholic
I'll have to second the recommendation for the Oppo. My DV-981HD does a great job with basically any disc you throw at it, and at a very resonable price ($229). I don't see what benefits you get for spending above $1000 on a DVD Player for what is SD content, at least to my eyes and ears.

After looking long and hard I came to the same conclusion and got the oppo981HD and I'm glad I did. I'm pretty picky about my audio, but video I just don't see it worth replacing my dvd collections with HD with the 981 upscales to the point it looks great to me. Audio is excellent by nearly any standards.

yettitheman

yettitheman

Audioholic General
HD-A1 by Toshiba for a good upconvert DVD player as well as HD DVD player.

For an SACD player.... the Sony that sells at Best Buy for about $150, the 5 disc model (Sony SCD-CE595). Seriously, I have one, and even though the transport isn't built like a boat anchor :cough: SCD-1 http://www.avland.co.uk/sony/scd1/scd1frontbig.jpg :cough: ... it still has excellent playback quality.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0205/sonyscdce595.htm
^ Very good review of the player, and every word he says is true.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/trl/595.html
^ for something a little different :D

davidtwotrees

davidtwotrees

Audioholic General
I have owned three universal players. I still have two. The Pioneer DV-45A, the Pioneer DV-563A, and my current A-team unit, the Denon 3910. I bought all three used on Ebay. The 45A was under $200. The 563 was under $100, and the 3910 was about $800 shipped. All units performed excellently, and played all discs I asked them to. The sound and picture quality of all three was excellent, with the 3910 stepping it up a notch on most levels, and most noticeably on sound quality in multi channel formats. All three were used with analog interconnects and component video. For build quality the Pioneer's were about up to their price range. The 3910 weighed noticeably more, and was much more solid in all facets. I would reccomend all three units and feel like they cover all the bases in your price range.
I just checked on ebay. The 563As are going for under $30! shipped. No remote, but hey, this is a universal player!

T

twoksl2

Audioholic Intern
does anyone know if the oppo 970hd has optical output also??
what i would like to do, and how i had my last set-up it component and optical for DVD and analog 5.1 for SACD

obscbyclouds

obscbyclouds

Senior Audioholic
Yes, the 970HD has both Optical and Coax digital audio outputs. That is exactly how I have my 981 set up, optical for DD and DTS, and Analog 5.1 for SACD and DVD-A.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis