DVD Player to A/V Receiver or Direct to HDTV?

F

ForumShopper

Audiophyte
Started putting together my first HT system over the weekend (OH YEAH!!!) and I'm very pleased! My buddy who has a 7.1 system with a 50 inch Sony SXRD came by after I did the initial set up and said I should hook up my DVD Player directly to the TV for the best picture and run the audio through the A/VR. He said that's the only way to caliberate the video properly for the DVD Player (when I get around to that in a few more weekends, although I may have his A/V guy come in and do it for me!). Is this the better way to connect the DVD Player?

Last edited:
Rocky

Rocky

Audioholic
In my expierience routing directly to the TV does not increase picture quality at all, and if it does, it is not enough of an increase to make a difference. Routing through the A/V Receiver streamlines everything so that switching between tasks becomes easier, especially with an upconverting a/v receiver.

L

Leprkon

Audioholic General
I would run the video right to the TV. Fewer connections, fewer things to go wrong, fewer cables to buy. When something does go wrong, there are many more variables to have to work through to find an answer.

Direct to TV- TV and its settings, cable, DVD player and its settings.

Through receiver- TV and its settings, cable, receiver and its multitude of settings, cable, DVD player and its settings. Throw into the mix that many receivers have known video issues (Onkyo TX-SR 702 and Yamaha RX-V2600 come to mind), and why mess with it ?

If you want to do single-button switch, buy a Pronto and program up a couple of macros. It's cheaper than a second HDMI cable and looks a hell of a lot cooler than whatever came with your receiver. :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis