DVD Player Sound Quality

H

HoneyMan

Enthusiast
How much of an influence does an actual DVD player have in sound quality?
I have a DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD player but its a cheap one, I'm wondering if a more expensive model would actually sound better?

gregz

gregz

Full Audioholic
About 10 years ago, there was a stark difference between CD players. But year after year, as DSP chips got faster and faster, the cheap players the next year sounded better than the most expensive players from the previous year.

Technology has gone beyond the point where a 44.1 KHz sampling rate is technically challenging, so most CD and DVD players sound the same. From the production side, the slower electronic components have been discontinued and the more powerful, faster DSP chips are dirt cheap.

Differences can still exist depending upon how cheap the manufacturer goes in circuit design and part tolerance and testing, but the differences aren't nearly as great as they used to be.

I say save your money for where it really makes a difference, and that's in quality speakers.

W

Wyngdh

Audioholic Intern
Depending on how cheap or nasty your DVD player was, there is a huge difference in sound and picture quality. I've made this move and am not sorry. But if you're going to do it, make sure it's a "sound" investment. You will see and hear more than you thought possible. I can't deny a good set of speakers has a place in your investment, but the source equipment is just as important.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Strange answer follows...

It seems to me that if you use the digital feed (One coaxial or Toslink) from your DVD player and, s most do, have your receiver do the DD/DTS decoding, the receiver would be the determining factor.

Unless you use the D/A decoders in the DVD player itself, which would entail running 6 analog feeds to your receiver and few offer anyway, instead of those in your receiver, I'd say the answer would depend on which has the superior DACs.

rgriffin25

rgriffin25

Take a look at this. Something needs to be said about build quality, and these pictures help. In addition to poor build quality, the budget players generally take a lot more time to load and the interface is not as good.

I doubt if you upgrade to a more expensive unit you will hear a drastic improvement using one of the digital outputs. However, if you use your dvd player a lot, your overall satisfaction will be improved with a better built machine.

T

Tex-amp

Senior Audioholic
markw said:
It seems to me that if you use the digital feed (One coaxial or Toslink) from your DVD player and, s most do, have your receiver do the DD/DTS decoding, the receiver would be the determining factor.

Unless you use the D/A decoders in the DVD player itself, which would entail running 6 analog feeds to your receiver and few offer anyway, instead of those in your receiver, I'd say the answer would depend on which has the superior DACs.

I thought this too until a got another player and compared the two using my receiver's DACs. Transports do make a difference in sound.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Tex-amp said:
Transports do make a difference in sound.
How so? :confused:

Please explain in detail why you think this, especially if the receiver is getting a digital signal.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
HoneyMan said:
I have a DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 DVD player but its a cheap one, I'm wondering if a more expensive model would actually sound better?
Not if you use the digital signal path.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis