DVD player connection to 4k TV yeilds bad picture

• Thread starter sterling shoote
  • Start date
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I recently connected my 18 year old Sony DVP-S9000es universal player to a new Sony 4k TV, with the only means to connect being component video. The picture I am getting is bad: green, yellow, and purple posterization instead of correct color. I'm wondering about what's broken: TV input, cable, or DVD Player. Interestingly enough, the Sony TV has a peculiar component video input which requires an adaptive cable supplied with the TV. Any help would be appreciated. Tomorrow I am going to attempt to connect the DVD Player to another TV to rule out that it may be broken.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What video settings are available to check in both units?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I recently connected my 18 year old Sony DVP-S9000es universal player to a new Sony 4k TV, with the only means to connect being component video. The picture I am getting is bad: green, yellow, and purple posterization instead of correct color. I'm wondering about what's broken: TV input, cable, or DVD Player. Interestingly enough, the Sony TV has a peculiar component video input which requires an adaptive cable supplied with the TV. Any help would be appreciated. Tomorrow I am going to attempt to connect the DVD Player to another TV to rule out that it may be broken.
Like your last post, this is heavy handed regulation. New TVs have to downgrade component video to SD. You can't escape it. You need a DVD player with HDMI. As I said before: - All resistance is useless.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd double check both the cable and correct wiring. This has nothing to do with analog video sunset Mark reffing to.
Also check TV color space ycrb/RGB.

S

sterling shoote

I'd double check both the cable and correct wiring. This has nothing to do with analog video sunset Mark reffing to.
This morning I disconnected Sony DVD Player and connected Toshiba DVD Player to TV. With it, no color at all, just black & white image. I went into set-up menu to be sure Player was set to component and not progressive. Seems that the problem may be the component adapter supplied by Sony or perhaps the TV.

S

sterling shoote

Today, I connected another DVD Player to TV and got no video. I also connected that Player to my older Panasonic TV and picture was fine. Connect my other DVD Player to that older TV too and picture was fine. It therefore seems the TV is bad or the adapter cable for sure is bad. The instructions for Sony TV says in I do not use component input I can use progressive by just using the green portion of adapter but that does not work either.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Today, I connected another DVD Player to TV and got no video. I also connected that Player to my older Panasonic TV and picture was fine. Connect my other DVD Player to that older TV too and picture was fine. It therefore seems the TV is bad or the adapter cable for sure is bad. The instructions for Sony TV says in I do not use component input I can use progressive by just using the green portion of adapter but that does not work either.
I've had a look at those Sony adapters and have to cry fraud. I don't see how that could work. There are going to be huge impedance termination issues.

I can't download manuals from the Sony site to help you. It does not support Chrome, which I use, and you have to enable acrobat reader in Firefox which I can't be bothered with.

I highly doubt you can get a picture on that TV that is any good from anything except HDMI.

Sony is not what it used to be, and it never was the top of the list in my book. There has always been much better stuff around. My biggest beef about Sony gear has been its standard of construction. It is pretty much impossible to service. Thrown together is the way I have always described it.

S

sterling shoote

I've had a look at those Sony adapters and have to cry fraud. I don't see how that could work. There are going to be huge impedance termination issues.

I can't download manuals from the Sony site to help you. It does not support Chrome, which I use, and you have to enable acrobat reader in Firefox which I can't be bothered with.

I highly doubt you can get a picture on that TV that is any good from anything except HDMI.

Sony is not what it used to be, and it never was the top of the list in my book. There has always been much better stuff around. My biggest beef about Sony gear has been its standard of construction. It is pretty much impossible to service. Thrown together is the way I have always described it.
I'm going to contact Sony Support tomorrow, meanwhile I will send a pic of the adapter to you. Again Sony claims the adapter can be used for component or video (yellow) connection. When adapter is use for video just the green cable is used from video out on DVD Player to Green input on TV via an 1/8th inch jack. Component connection gets black and white or sometimes yellow, green, purple picture, while video connection gets no picture or even input recognition. Now, interestingly enough, I will never use the analog video input on this Sony TV since my new OPPO has HDMI output and for internet I use a cat 6 for wired reception. I only got into this TVs analog inputs when attempting to see if my 19 year old Sony DVD Player still worked. i did not want to haul it to the kitchen TV to test it. That's what I ended up doing to discover that it worked just fine. So, again I now know either the 1/8th inch jack is suspect or the analog board on the TV. Thanks for your interest.

S

sterling shoote

Could be an issue with sony adapter or a TV component input is not assembled correctly.
One option would be to get component to HDMI adapter:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5971

on the other hand, you could get a brand new DVD player with HDMI out for not much more:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-DVD-S700-1-Disc-s-DVD-Player-1080p/302688818853?hash=item4679a8d6a5:g:UJQAAOSw-b9avxjH

or used Sony/Samsung for 1/2 the price
Yes, I will never use the video/component input, since my OPPO has HDMI. I just wanted to connect my 19 year old Sony DVD Player to the TV to see if its dvd function still worked. nevertheless, I want to get Sony to fix whatever needs to be fixed, either adapter or TV.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Make sure that the connection point for the TV is set to 'component' and not 'composite'. It is common on modern TVs to have the composite video connection and the component video connection shared on a single input to the television. The TV won't know if you are sending it component or composite, so you need to tell the TV, in the menu setup, what type of connection you are using.

I'm not sure if it has a specific 'component' vs. 'composite' video input, or just 'INPUT 3' (or whatever) which is shared component/composite.

For what it's worth, it would be helpful for you to provide the exact model number for your TV and perhaps a link to an online manual so we can take a look at it and help you figure out exactly what may be going on.

Just Googling a bit and found this, which likely isn't helpful... But maybe...
  1. COMPONENT IN, VIDEO IN 2
    This input can be used as a composite video input or as a component video input. When connecting mono device, connect to the L (MONO) audio jack.

For composite use, connect to VIDEO IN 2 for video, and to AUDIO (L/R) of
    /
    COMPONENT IN for audio signals.

For component connection, use Y, PB, PR for video signals and also connect to AUDIO (L/R) for audio signals.

The TV will automatically detect and switch between VIDEO IN 2 and
    /
    COMPONENT IN. To manually set the input type, press the HOME button, select
    [Settings] →
    [Channels & Inputs]/[Channels, Inputs & Ginga] → [Video 2/Component Selection].

S

sterling shoote

Make sure that the connection point for the TV is set to 'component' and not 'composite'. It is common on modern TVs to have the composite video connection and the component video connection shared on a single input to the television. The TV won't know if you are sending it component or composite, so you need to tell the TV, in the menu setup, what type of connection you are using.

I'm not sure if it has a specific 'component' vs. 'composite' video input, or just 'INPUT 3' (or whatever) which is shared component/composite.

For what it's worth, it would be helpful for you to provide the exact model number for your TV and perhaps a link to an online manual so we can take a look at it and help you figure out exactly what may be going on.

Just Googling a bit and found this, which likely isn't helpful... But maybe...
  1. COMPONENT IN, VIDEO IN 2
    This input can be used as a composite video input or as a component video input. When connecting mono device, connect to the L (MONO) audio jack.

For composite use, connect to VIDEO IN 2 for video, and to AUDIO (L/R) of
    /
    COMPONENT IN for audio signals.

For component connection, use Y, PB, PR for video signals and also connect to AUDIO (L/R) for audio signals.

The TV will automatically detect and switch between VIDEO IN 2 and
    /
    COMPONENT IN. To manually set the input type, press the HOME button, select
    [Settings] →
    [Channels & Inputs]/[Channels, Inputs & Ginga] → [Video 2/Component Selection].
My set has an adapter. It's red, green, and blue female RCA which connect via 1/8 inch jack to TV's component/composite input. Once connected I select TV input to component. I get a picture which is green, yellow, and purple. I have also used just the yellow video output from DVD Player to green female RCA of adapter, setting TV input to composite. This connection gives me a proper color picture. I talked to Sony today, and the technical guy said he thought my red, blue, green cable was bad, not TV, or the adapter, since when using composite connection with a yellow cable I got a good picture. Nevertheless, he is going to send me another adapter. What do you think?

Last edited:
BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
It could be a bad adapter or a bad/cheap component video cable you are using. What you can do is connect the individual red/green/blue cables to your composite connection.

So, set the TV to composite.

Make sure you have an image by connecting a working composite cable to the green connector on the TV.

Now, test each individual cable on your component video cable. First test the green cable. (Yellow out of DVD, into green cable, into green connector). You should see a composite video image.
Now do the same for the red and blue cables.

If all three work, then your cable is working fine and it could be their adapter.

If you have a local cable box, with component video output, you can check that on the TV as well.

Component video is extremely reliable for image delivery and was the standard for HDTV for many years. I have used my Samsung TV with component video for years until going digital. It worked extremely well and was super reliable.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Triple check the green and blue, I've had cables and components where the green and blue are pretty similar shades (sounds dumb but get a flashlight) if I still had my vizio tv I would take a picture of the jacks, it was stupid how close they looked in color in dim light.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Curious how this turns out. DVD to UHD tv looks horrible in my experience too. I moved the DVDs to another room that has a 1080p display. I replaced most of my favorite DVDs with Blu-ray anyhow. :)

B

Brian King

Audioholic Intern
Just spring for a new Sony 4K capable DVD. You'll be able to connect via 1 HDMI cable. Done and with a lot less aggravation.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Curious how this turns out. DVD to UHD tv looks horrible in my experience too. I moved the DVDs to another room that has a 1080p display. I replaced most of my favorite DVDs with Blu-ray anyhow. :)
I corrected this to a point in my theater by running my dvds through my Sony x800 player but Blu-ray is still so much better than dvd.

W

WhereYou

Audiophyte
If change the cables, and use the component to HDMI converter to connect the DVD to TV. Or set the TV to lower resolution like 1080P.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If change the cables, and use the component to HDMI converter to connect the DVD to TV. Or set the TV to lower resolution like 1080P.
How would a component to hdmi converter help? HDCP will likely spit it out. $59 dvd player will solve the problem.

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Like your last post, this is heavy handed regulation. New TVs have to downgrade component video to SD. You can't escape it. You need a DVD player with HDMI. As I said before: - All resistance is useless.
Really sucks to. If you have a nice player that still work and you want to watch DVD movies on your new TV there should be no downgrading. I know it is how it is but it's a shame.
In this case sounds like the adapter is faulty.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis