DVD Multidisc player

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
This is like information overload here! Let's forget all the tech talk for a bit. I am begining to see that while the engineers are continually coming up with stuff to make our music sound better, our ears (individually) determines what we will end up spending our money on. I for one would love to get the same sort of sound from my system as I get through my Sennheiser headsets. Even those differ in sound as well. I have had get togethers where a couple of my friends were tweaking the stereo to what they think it should sound like and we mostly disagreed on what setting was the best. In the end it was a compromise that we could all deal with.

I have been going back and forth with the CD players and the amps, I even took it into the HT system and hooked it up. From what I am used to, I do believe that there is some detail missing and maybe a better set of speakers would help. However, what I am finding out is that some of these components sound good together while others seem to bring out more flaws. With the Carver system, the bass seem to have more kick than the Cambridge but the highs are a little lacking. With the Cambridge, adding tonal bias doesn't seem to had a lot more kick, while the Carver makes a distinct difference. Is it because the Carver is a high power/current amp? I don't know. Is it that the Cambridge unit has newer parts? Again, I don't know.

I play some CDs in my car and have managed to tweak it to a point where I tend to notice instruments that I hear with the headphones with out trying to. My guess is that I am going to have to play around with different equipment until I find one that gives me the sound that I like, in the rooms I have these things placed. I just don't want to go broke doing it, which seems like a real possibility. Ahh, my head hurts. Where is that headset?

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
There was a point to all that rambling but it got lost. I would like to believe these forums are meant for sharing information and gaining knowledge on the things we don't know. Some of us use terms that may be out of context in the audiophile sense and I don't think it should always a chance to pounce on them to beat them up about their lack of knowledge. I am been on too many forums that never seem to provide much information on questions asked but have a long thread of folks going off topic.

So to get back on topic, with all the research I have been doing, it seems that there will always be people in both camps, HT and Stereo that will have different opinions on what is a good gear to get. I will take all recommendations, take the equipment for a "test drive" and see how it fits. How about it? Keep all the good info coming! It is making me look at things differently and give me additional questions to ask the audio "dealers". At times it feels like I am buying a car! :D

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

I am starting to regret taking my changer out of my system a little. I do miss the convenience of loading 'er up with discs and not having to get up every 15 minutes. So far I've had no luck finding a DVD carousel I can live with long term; they all seem to have operational quirks (ultra-slow disc change times, extraordinarily long load/disc recognition times, slow track to track skipping, etc).

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
Obvioulsy, the speakers and the room istels are the most important factors. But their is a close second...

Want to have on-the-fly adjustment of 'real' sound differences?

Get a hi quality DSP equalizer.

Behringer DEQ2496

-Chris

waynerm002 said:
This is like information overload here! Let's forget all the tech talk for a bit. I am begining to see that while the engineers are continually coming up with stuff to make our music sound better, our ears (individually) determines what we will end up spending our money on. I for one would love to get the same sort of sound from my system as I get through my Sennheiser headsets. Even those differ in sound as well. I have had get togethers where a couple of my friends were tweaking the stereo to what they think it should sound like and we mostly disagreed on what setting was the best. In the end it was a compromise that we could all deal with.

I have been going back and forth with the CD players and the amps, I even took it into the HT system and hooked it up. From what I am used to, I do believe that there is some detail missing and maybe a better set of speakers would help. However, what I am finding out is that some of these components sound good together while others seem to bring out more flaws. With the Carver system, the bass seem to have more kick than the Cambridge but the highs are a little lacking. With the Cambridge, adding tonal bias doesn't seem to had a lot more kick, while the Carver makes a distinct difference. Is it because the Carver is a high power/current amp? I don't know. Is it that the Cambridge unit has newer parts? Again, I don't know.

I play some CDs in my car and have managed to tweak it to a point where I tend to notice instruments that I hear with the headphones with out trying to. My guess is that I am going to have to play around with different equipment until I find one that gives me the sound that I like, in the rooms I have these things placed. I just don't want to go broke doing it, which seems like a real possibility. Ahh, my head hurts. Where is that headset?

W

waynerm002

Audioholic Intern
What vital body part will I have to sell for that? Ok, never heard of that so I am assuming it is going to be costly. Any hints of what it costs?

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
For the power/quality it offers it's dirt cheap.

2 channel 31 band EQ, 2 channel 10 band parametic EQ.

$340.00 average retail price + shipping + $20-$30 bucks for adapter cables(it uses XLR connectors, so y ou need to either buy or build adapter cables to connect to RCA plugs).

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDEQ2496

If you don't need the paramateric equalier or presets, their is also a DSP based Behringer unit that has 'analog-like' slider controls that is a bit cheaper: Behringer DEQ1024. Approx. $220.00 average retail.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDEQ1024

-Chris

waynerm002 said:
What vital body part will I have to sell for that? Ok, never heard of that so I am assuming it is going to be costly. Any hints of what it costs?

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Someday I'll replace my current Behringer DSP1124 with the new one. Honestly, I'm just not looking forward to deciphering the manual and learning how to operate it. ;) Behringer is notorious for their awful manuals. I'm happy with mine, but I use it only as a parametric bass EQ. I'd like to delve into digital room correction for upper freqs one day, too.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
The unit with the 31 band per channel analog-style sliders requires very little manual reading. But it does not have the parametric capabilities of the DEQ2496. If your just using the DSP1124 on the subwoofer/LF, then I don't see any reason to get rid of it. Continue to use that to correct the bass anomlies caused by the room. Just add the analog-control-style digital unit to your main channels.

-Chris

Rob Babcock said:
Someday I'll replace my current Behringer DSP1124 with the new one. Honestly, I'm just not looking forward to deciphering the manual and learning how to operate it. ;) Behringer is notorious for their awful manuals. I'm happy with mine, but I use it only as a parametric bass EQ. I'd like to delve into digital room correction for upper freqs one day, too.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

No, I meant stepping up to the DEQ2496. I'm in no rush, but I'd like to explore the options. Another thing I want to do is buy CARA and delve into more advanced room/speaker measurements than I can do with my Rives Disc/Rat Shack SPL meter.

IMO the room is the most important component of the system (tied perhaps with the speakers). Unfortunately, most people ignore the room completely.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rob Babcock said:
IMO the room is the most important component of the system (tied perhaps with the speakers). Unfortunately, most people ignore the room completely.

Yes, yes, yes. :D
And some worry about a piece of wire :confused:

I'd have to say that the room and speaker are equally important as a different speaker may have different radiation and energy patterns revising the room acoustics.

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

JMOHO, but spending $2,000 for a cable + $0.00 for room treatment= :eek: :confused:

:p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis